The Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, Volume One

penyghent

• RMweb Premium

Many of the stations were (and still are - several remain standing) very attractive brick structures, with a series of arches running down the front and back. It is a few years since I visited but Warsop and Edwinstowe were still there and most of the buildings from one of the stations (might be South Clifton from memory) were still standing.

There were some wooden buildings but to me, the brick arched station buildings have always been more"typical" as far as LD&ECR building design is concerned.

• 4 weeks later...

Having recently purchased volume 1, I've just noticed that on the map of 1898 page 12 there is a 2 road shed on the down loop just before the signal box. I have a map from 1906 (Chesterfield library) and the building and track is no longer there. Is this the loco shed that burnt down perchance ? If it is , then it seems funny that the turntable was situated on the up side and wasn't the easist of shunts to access.

Pete

A drawing of one of the buildings appeared in a relatively obscure publication, Great Central Link. Unfortunately I don't recall the date of the magazine or anything useful like that, but you might be able to track down a copy.

Has anyone got any drawings of the station buildings?

Having recently purchased volume 1, I've just noticed that on the map of 1898 page 12 there is a 2 road shed on the down loop just before the signal box. I have a map from 1906 (Chesterfield library) and the building and track is no longer there. Is this the loco shed that burnt down perchance ? If it is , then it seems funny that the turntable was situated on the up side and wasn't the easist of shunts to access.

Pete

yes that is the shed that burnt down in 1903, I have since publication found an LD&ECR diagram of the shed, which is different to the description of the original as found in an insurance report of the fire. It could well be that they proposed to rebuild but never did?

yes that is the shed that burnt down in 1903, I have since publication found an LD&ECR diagram of the shed, which is different to the description of the original as found in an insurance report of the fire. It could well be that they proposed to rebuild but never did?

Thanks for the information.

Do you happen to know whether the shed was all wood or brick/stone ?

Did the insurance report give the reason for the fire ?

Apologies for the questions, just that I'm a Chesterfield lad and the LDECR is obviously of interest to me.

Cheers Pete

I have not actually read the report, I am only going by what was written in an article in the GCRS Forward magazine a while back. The article said that the fire was discovered by a watchman and that there was a wagon and a loco inside at the time. The wagon was destroyed the loco LD&ECR No16 survived. It also stated that the roof was tarred felt, so I would surmise that the whole shed would be wooden?

A "temporary" wooden shed would make sense as the embankment into Chesterfield would probably not hold a heavy structure until it had settled. If the LDEC grand plans to build through to Lancashire had come to fruition they would have needed a far bigger loco shed anyway in the long run.

A "temporary" wooden shed would make sense as the embankment into Chesterfield would probably not hold a heavy structure until it had settled. If the LDEC grand plans to build through to Lancashire had come to fruition they would have needed a far bigger loco shed anyway in the long run.

the diagram I found shows that the shed would be supported on piles driven into the ground, with a concrete raft beneath the two inside tracks, and that it was a ridge & furrow style 150ft 8inch long by 36ft 6 wide

• 8 months later...

Is it just me, I can't find any recent reference to the promised "Volume Two" of this work, which is the one that particularly interests me with the references to The Mansfield Railway.

Has it been produced yet, please, and how/where do I buy?

Volume 2 was produced in October 2013 but can still be purchased via this link http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4691288-the-lancashire-derbyshire-east-coast-railway

Is it just me, I can't find any recent reference to the promised "Volume Two" of this work, which is the one that particularly interests me with the references to The Mansfield Railway.

Has it been produced yet, please, and how/where do I buy?

I have vol2 and it is excellent.

• 4 months later...

Just stumbled across this - very interesting. Has anyone got a map of the proposed route across the Peaks that they could share?

I got a cd from Lincolnshire archives showing the route plans and levels of the line from Pyewipe Junction to Sutton on Sea, cost me £47.65 to get it mind! I do remember someone on Facebook commenting that they had seen a similar set of plans for the Derbyshire end in Macclesfield Library (I think) so maybe a line to them may get a result? I would like a copy myself, but am reluctant to pay out another extortionate sum to obtain one!!

Archived