New Jinty

Crepello

Here's the link for everyone's convenience:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=110&vis=2.

Pre-order from Hatton's price is £59.46.  I actually think that is a fair price and represents value for money in this instance.  The problem is that IMHO this is one of those engines where I think the looks of my old BachFar one are perfectly adequate.  (Others will differ, I'm sure.)  That plus the fact it is a superb runner means I'm just not convinced I need to replace it with the new one.  Same thing happened when the new Dapol 57xx pannier came out: nice as it was, my old one was fine.  Maybe in a few years if I can find a stale new-old-stock one on sale somewhere I'll pick one up.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I think the Dapol 57xx forced Bachmann's hand with this model. Doubtless they'd have preferred to use development effort on another new model with better prospects of quick sales, but probably felt they couldn't afford to lose another key class.  Notably it was announced mid-year along with the Class 31, another potentially vulnerable model.

Just a shame about those huge hex bolts for fixing pins on the coupling rod, and, of course, the rapido coupler - good job that can easily be removed from the NEM socket.

G.

Very nice looking model - if I ever need a Jinty I might indulge- but what will happen to the three I have already that are redundant?   I bet they won't do the  one that served at Crewe for some time after Darlington repainted it with the number on the tank below the crest (47482), so one of my three might have a reasonable life left.

BTW if anyone knows the numbers of the other similar Darlington repaints- especially the one that was spotted by Derby and "corrected" before being sent to its shed I'd be interested to know them.

Copper cap chimney is interesting- GWR version imminent? :no:

Seriously, Swindon DID manage to get a copper chimney onto a V2, though it didn't take long for ER Command to see it and order its removal......

Les

it would be great to see the older models avaialble at a discount price somewhere as I kind of like the old model, I have 3 in my fleet and could always justify another at the right price.

I live in hope of finding the old style balck 5 or some more 8f't at reasonable costs but no luck yet.

ho hum

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I'm impressed by the finesse of the brake rigging on that EP sample. Also interesting that the entire running plate and tank sides appear to be metal rather than plastic, which I suppose is the only way they could increase the weight of the model to provide good haulage capability.

Does anyone know how the 40g weight mentioned on the Bachmann site compares to Dapol's Pannier?

Tom.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The two BR versions have popped up in the 'due in 60 days' list on the Bachmann website and I notice the 90 degree six pin decoder is now in stock at various sellers. 

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maurice at Osborns told me that they were expected in yesterday.

I have therefore placed my order for a Late Crest one.

It will be interesting to compare it with my own late Chinese production one both in terms of detail and running quality as the existing one is itself by no means a bad model.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifNew Farish Jinty 003 (2).jpgMy Jinty has just arrived in the post.

First impression - it is a truly exquisite model.

Picture attached - I had to tweak the contrast slightly to bring out the detail.

Roy

That does look good Roy. Can't wait for mine to come from Merseyside. Hopefully the Dapol  magnetic buckeyes will fit to the NEM pockets as it's ideal for hauling a short goods ready for shunting.

Hopefully these are not plagued by the wobbling problems of the recent Fairburns.

Have to say it looks even better in your pic Roy than Farish's own website pics.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

So far I have only run it about 15 mins in each direction.

Happy to report no "wobbles" on this one or other issues thus far.

The mechanism as I have come to expect with the new coreless motor drive is smooth, very quiet and it is also pleasingly surefooted over dead frog settrack points - not a hint of stalling.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Looks lovely! Good to hear no wobbles, hopefully the early crest version on order is the same!

I'm also curious to see if its possible to fit other decoders than the special right angle version just released simply by bending the pins 90 degrees, or whether the cab space is too small. I'm trying to standardise on Zimo MX621s as I find they are by far and away the best chips for slow sped running, so hoping one can be squeezed in!

Tom. 

I have to agree that Roy's picture is better than Bachmann's!  Regrettably, we all have models that we can live without and for me this is one of those models - for three reasons, 1.) my previous generation BachFar Jinty runs superbly 2.) while the old model lacks fine detail, for this particular slab-sided loco what is there is sufficient for me, and perhaps most importantly 3.) the new model costs almost £60 in Liverpool.  I have not checked what it costs in Sheffield but imagine it's much the same.  I know the topic of the rising cost of models (and why) has been beaten to death elsewhere so I'll just say I must just be "old-school" (or just old) because to me the notion of spending sixty quid on a 0-6-0 tank engine is just bonkers.  No need to tell me how wrong I am - I know others have different views.  :)

All that said, should this model languish on the shelves (admittedly I can't see that happening unless Bachmann over-estimated demand) and eventually be discounted to move stale stock, one might find its way into my hands.

Matt

Hi Matt

Rails will be charging much the same as Bachmann initially restrict dealers to max 15% dicount on new releases.

I would not presume to try and change your view as regards the price but mine is very different indeed. When I took this model out of the box, my words to my wife were that for a model of this quality I do not know how they can sell it for as little as £69.95 list never mind the discounted price of £59.95 I paid Osborns for mine.

Let's not forget that not only is this a finer and more detailed model, it has a state of the art chassis including coreless motor and DCC provision. Next to the "old" Farish Jinty (Even the latest Bachmann variant) there really is no comparison - it really is in a different league. In point of fact at the end of it's Bachmann production  I don't think the old model was a whole lot cheaper anyway!

Regards

Roy

The recommended decoder is more than just a normal one with the pins bent 90 degrees. It appears that they are soldered to the longer edge of the decoder. Picture here of one out of the box

http://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-36556ra-ez-command-906-pin-dcc-decoder-dc-compatible.ir?cName=Bachmann-Bachmann-dcc

No connection with the above supplier etc....

• RMweb Gold

Mine has a slight wobble

Hmm, thats not so good! Had notification Hattons have finally processed my order today, although still not shipped, so got a few more days to wait before I get my hands on one. Fingers crossed wobble is not a widespread issue!

Looks the part though!

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

It really isn't that noticable. Nothing really to complain about with the Jinty. I have blackened the circuitry inside now which was a bit too obvious and put some chopped in half crew in the cab. I have added the buffer beam detail now and it looks even better.

Cheers,

Ian.

Archived