Bachmann 1F

neal

• RMweb Gold

I will admit that was a slight nostalgic joke on my behalf. In 1980 when I was a kid, there was a television series called God's Wonderful Railway on the telly. This lead to me asking for a Great Western train, for which my nan and parents brought me a Hornby 57XX (closed cab) and 2 Lima Chocolate and Cream coaches, the latter which I had a hard time finding in the Hornby catalogue.

In the Hornby Catalogue however there was another Pannier tank which had an open half cab. I asked my nan about it who invented it was for summer use....

Back to the topic, I have ordered one with an open cab as I am sure it will make a contrast to a Jinty and most of my other tank locos ( and not because the drivers want a cool cab to take for spin down the line and to pull the girls).

So, you've ordered a half cab pannier, then?

Pat attention that man..... He's ordered a half-cab Garratt... :biggrin_mini2:

I did not order a half cab Garratt, but knowing my luck it will probably end up like that when the post man catapults it over the garden wall.

"A model loco big enough to block out the sun...."

Ok I,ll get my coat.....

Edited by JSpencer

Open cabs were by far in the majority on these engines.  Locos were built for specific tasks or routes at the time and it appears those of this class fitted with full cabs were initially intended for passenger working.  There were a few variations in cab shape too arising in the closed version (I think) from those that were modified against new builds, plus the shape of the cutaway on open cabs also showed some variation.

To back-date one of these to the original design would require some surgery, round-topped firebox, Salter safety valves and a different smokebox door with continuous handrail.  Mind you, this configuration (apart from the front-end) was still common in LMS days and, on a few locos, into nationalisation so it wouldn't be a dead-end for production.  Red livery (lined too) for goods engines was discontinued in 1907 and from photos, it looks like the repainting schedule was pretty brisk.

It's a lovely engine to look forward to.  I hope the guard irons haven't been omitted this time, they complete the shape below the footplate (the only real glitch with the Jinty) and of course it provides another retail opportunity for the suppliers of enginemen.

• 3 weeks later...

I particularly want an open cab LMS version of this engine. Back-dating the BR one will be cosmetically straightforward but I do want to apply an LMS number which would accurately reflect the boiler type as modelled by Bachmann. Can anyone assist here please ?

Many thanks

Tony

It looks like the Belpaire boilers were fitted from 1925 but BR were still at it 30-odd years later so your best bet would be to find a photo of a suitable engine for your purposes and work from that bearing in mind that the first Belpaire ones would have orignally had big numbers on the tanks. For an example 1708 was apparently fitted with a Belpiare boiler in 1926 according to Baxter's British Locomotive Catalogue.

Delivery expected some time in September according to one of the Bachmann guys at Midland Railex btw (they are on a ship somewhere).

I will admit that was a slight nostalgic joke on my behalf. In 1980 when I was a kid, there was a television series called God's Wonderful Railway on the telly. ....

Based on the trilogy by Avril Rowlands, which has been out of print for almost three decades. I still have the last one "Fire On The Line" somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

41661 is an interesting choice, in that the latest Bachmann Times has a photo of it with a closed cab, saying that this closed cab was a depot special, so probably does not even match the normal closed cab version. I've also seen a photo of 41708 in late crest with a closed cab, but it too is modelled without.

My interest is as a preserved loco. Does anyone know when 41661 and 41708 received/lost their closed cabs please.

Edited by brushman47544

41661 and 41708 are both oddities. 

Midland Railway locomotives volume 3 (Irwell) has the details and lists 5 different variants of what the MR called a "double cab".  41661 was fitted with a detachable cab rear in 1957 made at Hull Dairycoates depot. This was taken off when it went to Derby for overhaul.  41708 was fitted with a similar detchable cab in preservation.  

Edited by asmay2002

I saw the actual models at Harburn Hobbies Bachmann event at the weekend on display with maroon inspection saloons and some new livery mark1 coaches that Bachmann had sent up as samples. The 1f looked amazing with the half cab showing off the great cab interior but if you want one I would order quick as all sold out to trade and Harburn advising all of there's were pre ordered so none will make it onto the shelves!

I know that the 1F prototypes all ended up at Staveley Barrow Hill (41E) in the mid 1960's - well the survivors anyway, but one was based in Manchester namely 41702, based at Gorton (9G) in 1960. Although I remember seeing it at this shed, possibly stored by then, I have no memory  of which cab type it had. Has anyone come across any images of this particular engine?

This is probably a stupid question but I just read in the Hornby magazine review that the review model had an LMS builders plate, why would they not have a midland plate ?

Phil

Because the LMS replaced most, if not all, builders' plates with their own even though they retained the original build date. Presumably they wanted to make their own mark on the locos without harking back to their predecessors. For instance the preserved L&Y 0-6-0 carries a plate saying LMS Built 1986 Horwich and 43924 carries one saying LMS Built 1920 Derby.

Because the LMS replaced most, if not all, builders' plates with their own even though they retained the original build date. Presumably they wanted to make their own mark on the locos without harking back to their predecessors. For instance the preserved L&Y 0-6-0 carries a plate saying LMS Built 1986 Horwich and 43924 carries one saying LMS Built 1920 Derby.

I scraped black paint off a LMS Built 1890's Horwich plate at Lees in 1960, but left before the 1986 batch arrived on shed.... :derisive:

This is probably a stupid question but I just read in the Hornby magazine review that the review model had an LMS builders plate, why would they not have a midland plate ?

Not a stupid question at all. In any large organisation (and at inception the LMSR was the largest joint stock corporation in the world) it is no small activity keeping track of all the capital assets. (Briefly, this is a legal necessity for a publically quoted company in a tax environment such as has long been operated by the UK gov. The corporation has to satisfy both the stock holders and the tax authority of the worth of the capital assets in each operating year, and the write down (depreciation) of those assets for the purposes of a claim against tax.)

With 10,000 locos just for a start distributed over near 8,000 miles of track, anything which made identification of the capital assets that bit more straightforward than deciphering a plate from one of twenty or more possible origins put on in the previous century, getting corroded and overpainted twenty times since, is to be welcomed.

Been messing about with one the last couple of days... it started out as the late BR one.

attachicon.gifIMGP9857-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9858-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9859-001.JPG

Yee gods. Got an e-mail saying mine is in the post, look up here and the first pictures of someone posting theirs has been given a complete makeover.....

Don't you know how jelous it makes some people to beable to do such craftmanship so fast? :no:

Well done. I am utterly impressed!

• Like 2