Where to railfan around Denver

• RMweb Gold

In the near future we will be spending a few days in the Denver area.Its over 10 years since last being there.

Unfortunately we don't have time to head to the narrow gauge lines apart from the Georgetown loop. However. we are looking for good locations to line side in the Denver area and up to Cheyenne.

Any one have any good locations and or links to web sites that do?

Ian

PS - We will be spending a day doing the light rail routes and the brewpubs and part of another day doing Caboose Hobbies - travelling light till then!!

That looks like an interesting and comprehensive guide. I would definitely second the statements in there that travelling on dirt roads (and even high altitude paved roads) can be very weather-dependent. I've driven a rental car on paved and dirt roads on the other side of the continental divide, fortunately in good weather, but I would not have driven some of them if it was raining, let alone snowing. On the same weekend (mid-September) weather blocked the Rabbit Ears Pass (up near Steamboat Springs on US40)

Remember to take lots of water and keep yourself hydrated, especially if walking any distance, as that helps ward off altitude sickness.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Adrian

A couple of years ago we were at Donner Pass in July. Some roads were still lbocked with snow and ice.

Yes, we normally raid Target or similar and stock up with bottles of water after picking up the rental car.

Most rental car companys dont cover taking the car off paved roads so we tend to be careful where we go.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

I haven't been to Cheyenne since 2006, but the following might help.

Travel from Denver northbound up I-25 and exit at Cheyenne along Highway 30 eastbound (Lincoln Way). About a mile or so towards the town, you will find the junction of Lincoln Way and Southwest Drive on your right.

This is a railroad grade crossing (level crossing) with lights and barriers. When I was there, there was plenty of room to park on 'solid ballast' out of the way of the road and railway, with excellent views of trains arriving/departing. Trains had to hoot the normal warning horn sounds at that time (2-long, 1-short, 1-long) but it might now be a 'quiet zone'.

Cheyenne Depot is now a Museum. There were plenty of decent places nearby for food and drink.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello again, Ian

I just checked YouTube, and there are a couple of clips there that you might want to see. Enter the following in the search bar.

2 trains at Southwest Dr in Cheyenne, WY 8-5-12

There are others. They haven't made it a 'quiet zone', as you will see/hear in the clips! 

Brian

We are looking for good locations to line side in the Denver area and up to Cheyenne.

Any one have any good locations and or links to web sites that do?

PS - We will be spending a day doing the light rail routes and the brewpubs and part of another day doing Caboose Hobbies - travelling light till then!!

Ian,

I've done a fair bit of driving the I25 corridor. Between Denver and Cheyenne, the UP traffic is east of I25. The BNSF is west of I25. (This BNSF map might help.) As I'm sure you know, the high plains east of the front range are fairly flat and you can see train movements from quite a distance - which helps chasing them.

I'll add some locations when I get a chance.

EDIT: There's often activity in Longmont (Northeast of Boulder.) A number of lines come together in Longmont (including the BNSF). Also highway 85 (see Brighton to Fort Lupton) parallels what I believe is the UP. This area is very flat with tons of level crossings. I can't give you any idea of traffic density, but I've seen lots of trains there. Following this line south (see Google maps) it passes a UP Load/unload facility and into a large yard in Commerce City.

The scenery for photographing railroads is much prettier between Denver and Colorado Springs.

We are staying in Cheyenne as there's a  microbrew pub in the old UP depot.

New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins don't have a pub, but they do have a singularly excellent brewery tour. (It's a must see for any fan of American Craft Brewing.) Book online early! It fills up fast.

Have you got this book, Ian:

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Spots-Guidebook-Places-Trains/dp/0890248052/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

No, it ain't perfect but it does cover all States and looking at New Jersey it has the few big spots to go. I prefer the more out of the way locations because I don't like crowds (or even groups). one interesting point is the inclusion of Radio Freqs by company at each place.

Handy to look at over Winter or stash in the car when here.

Best, Pete.

Why not head out west through Coal Creek Canyon, through Pinecliffe and on to Tolland on route 72 (Coal Creek Canyon Road)? No off road required, some nice scenery and driving and places to stop and take nice photos. You could hike in the CCC area up to the top of tunnel 1 for a nice shot in the mornings (catch the Amtrak heading westbound usually before 0900) as well as other westbounds heading up the steep grade.

Just East of Pinecliffe you can get this shot, though at least when I tried it I had to perch quite precariously on a rock and wait for over an hour... http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=175167&nseq=54

If you've got the time and energy, this is another nice location just above the previous one http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328464&nseq=5

Anything along here has to beat the front range sub along I25...

When are you planning to be over here?  I will likely be in Denver at least a couple of times this year, but am hoping to get a break and go back to the UK for a bit in mid-June for about 3 weeks...  If that doesn't work out, then I will be in Colorado even more over the summer.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick

We may well do that. As to whether we can make the early morning trip for the Amtrak from where we are staying in SE Denver I am not sure but will try and plan that.

We are there for just 3 days early June before heading to the North West.

Ian

Hi,

We did the California Zephyr in 2009. This is a view from the train looking back to Denver as we were gaining altitude. We'd just gone past the 100 vehicle coal train seen 'looped' in the picture!

post-16151-0-51899400-1369332490_thumb.jpg

Sure were some spectacular sections of track further up on this stretch (as the pictures Nick has highlighted shows) - but I guess you don't need me to tell you that!

Does one of the surviving Big Boys live at Cheyenne? We're hoping to head back across the pond in 2014 and would love to track down a few (more) of these awesome machines. To see 3985 in action would also be worth making the effort for!

Sorry - bit of a hijack!

There is a stuffed&mounted big boy in a park in Cheyenne, and UP's Challenger lives in the shed at Cheyenne. We drove up to the sumit of Sherman Hill, and had only been there fro 20 minutes when a UP policeman turned up in a pickup, and took all our details and passport numbers, then satisfied that we weren't there to steal bits off the tamper parked in a remote siding at the top, he handed over his business card, and told us who to ask for in Cheyenne depot to get us in to see the Challenger :good: .

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Carry on posting. All relevant info.

I did the Zephyr back in 1989 so must take my other half on it as its the only transcontinental Amtrak she hasn't done yet.

I am not aware of a Big Boy at Cheyenne but the FEF3 and the Challenger are there although I don't think you can normally get access.

There was an open weekend just gone so we will be too late for that. However the museum and brewpub in the old UP station will be open.

We are panning to go to Laramie as there is a footbridge across the yard. Then head back to Denver via Sherman shill but any info I have found does say to keep off private ranch lads and property aswell as railroad property.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

We made it to Cheyenne this afternoon. Its a grest place for rail fans.

First off we went to Holliday Park just East of downtown where Big Boy 4004 is plinthed

post-1557-0-06056000-1370217477_thumb.jpg

Next up is a shot of the reetored UP depot which houses a museum and a micro brew pub

post-1557-0-61406700-1370218490_thumb.jpg

There are two overbridges alongside the depot that you can walk up onto although there is thick black mesh plus a few gates with vertical bars both making photography difficult with a DSLR but a compact camera is a bit easier.

Walk up the bridge nearest the depot for views of the roundhouse

post-1557-0-56954900-1370218787_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-69427900-1370219134_thumb.jpg

Some interesting bits lying around

post-1557-0-11217500-1370219213_thumb.jpg

Great Stuff, Ian! 

Do you want to start a standalone thread to cover your trip?

I'm guessing that some people may not think to look here for your reports..........

Still hot there?

Best, Pete.

Archived