Fulking Road Halt

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

Having lurked around on the forum for a year or so I figured it was time for me to have a go.

This is my second 'proper' model. It is based on an imaginary branch off the Shoreham-Horsham line at Steyning. It would have Essentially mirrored the route of what is now Edburton Road to Poynings with stops at Small Dole and Fulking. My model is based on the imagined stop at Fulking. It would have been nothing more than a small unmanned halt with a disused goods siding.

Inspiration for the layout comes from Chris Nevard's Cattcot Burtle and the fantastic St Mary's Hoo on this forum. Unfortunately I cannot begin to hope to reach quite level of modelling of either of these layouts.

The layout when finished will be little more than a working diorama as I wanted something on which I could improve my scenic skills and that can keep me occupied whilst I complete my A levels (which is my excuse for the incredibly slow progress)

Here are some pictures of what I have so far. Sorry for the quality, they were taken on my mobile. They give an idea of the size of the layout and the track plan. The scale is 00.

post-12048-0-16941800-1368809042_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-13892300-1368809069_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-16787500-1368809127_thumb.jpg

Nestor

Looks like a good start to me, definitely has that overgrown and uncared for look, you might find a bit of 'static grass' gives a bit less of a "blanket ground cover" feel.

What will you be doing for scenery "beyond the fence"?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comment.

The plan is to have a level crossing at one end of the layout with crossing keepers cottage. There will be a small farm track running alongside the goods siding. I havn't yet decided what will beyond that however I hope to include an allotment as I had one on the last a layout which came out relatively alright so I though I'd have another crack at one. I have looked into static grass and unfortunately it is too expensive an option for the moment at least. I will be looking out for alternatives for scenic material, in a kind of 'whatever looks like it might come in handy' kind of way. For example, under the grass on the siding I have ballasted the track with ash from our fireplace.

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Certain members of the household may not be too pleased if that was used ;)

But I was going to have a good search around this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Nestor

Nestor,

You might like to check out the book "Lost Railways of Sussex" by Leslie Oppitz, particularly the photo on P45. There are some great pics that will give you plenty of prototype inspiration for the buildings on your layout.

Kev

Guest oldlugger

A cracking start Nestor; this promises to be a very attractive layout. As to the static grass problem, cromptonnut is right about the fur, and there is of course hanging basket liner which is very cheap and goes a long way. There are sellers on Ebay with this versatile material. Apart from representing long, rough grass with it, basket liner makes great bushes, if you paint it first, add dabs of PVA glue and scenic material as leaves (Noch make leaf material, when finances allow).

All the best

Simon

Nestor - Hanging Basket liner can be used to good effect - but an easy, and the cheapest, way of using static grass (particularly the longer fibres) is to just use pinches of the stuff.

Put down a base coat of very tacky glue (I use carpet spray glue), wait a couple of minutes for it to dry a little, so that it sticky and tacky, then a pinch at a time using two fingers. When done, give it a pass over with the hoover nozzle, and it stands up. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys.

I think I'll give the bear fur idea a go first as there are many around the house.

Kev, thanks for the suggestion. I'm constantly on the look out for books and already have several but will definitely keep an eye out for that. 

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon

Today I marked out and lay down the bass of the road and track. I used scraps of an old shoebox for this.

Suggestions for road cover would be great. I'd planned to paint over and cut out pot holes along the sides to give it a neglected country lane look. 

post-12048-0-67385700-1368885170_thumb.jpg

Nestor

Guest oldlugger

Hello Nestor,

A good road surface material that is cheap and very robust is plaster of Paris mixed with some PVA glue (to give the plaster flexibility and to prevent cracking; it also stops the plaster drying quickly so that you have plenty of time to form the shape over your cardboard roads). When it dries you then sand it down (this can take a while) and then cut out pot holes and cracks in the "tarmac" with a craft knife. You'll need a minimum of about 0.5 CM of plaster on top of the card surface. Slope and slightly round the plaster away from the centre of the card surface to create a typical road camber). Paint it with suitable road coloured paints (any matt paint will do the job). I also use fine dry seived soil to dust over the painted surface of the road to give it a well used dusty road look. It would be a good idea to paint the area either side of the card road with enamel paint to protect that part of the baseboard from the moisture of the plaster.

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

There is currently a lack of progress on the layout as exam revision is taking the priority at the moment.

Plans for this weekend include surfacing the road and beginning to look at the areas around the rest of the layout. Pictures to follow (hopefully)

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon everyone

I'd say a day well spent. Today I had a go at the allotment which has come together quite satisfactory. It'll be added to the layout at a later time.

post-12048-0-45553100-1369583023_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-00269000-1369583052_thumb.jpg

Nestor

Hi Nestor,

A nice start there. Looking forward to seeing more. I live within 10 miles of the village of Fulking and have spent many times over there, all work related unfortunately! Will you be modelling the South Downs as part of the layout? Might be worth including "The Shepherd and Dog" public house as it would make a nice cameo scene.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words. I live in Brighton so am also have easy access to the village. The layout is only little and is based just outside Fulking (hence the road in the title) so unfortunately not be including any of the actual village or the downs. However, saying that I'm tempted to include an extra building which, if I do, would be based on one in Fulking. I'm hoping to get out there soonish and will take some photos of the proposed site of the halt.

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Today I've been experimenting with road surfaces in the disused goods yard and along the country footpath that extends from it. I've also made a start on adding bushes along the side of the railway and footpath.

I also ordered a small bag of static grass so I can have a go at adding some depth to the overgrown siding and surrounding area.

Here is a picture of todays efforts. Does anyone know if it is either possible to reduce the file size on photos or if there is a way in which larger files than 2MB can be attached?post-12048-0-38336700-1369757105_thumb.jpg

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

I did get some better photos but they were too big so I'll have to try again, the file size seems to be related to the quality.

Nestor

Yep, you don't need massive pictures for on-screen - crop as necessary then reduce to 800 pixels max in both dimensions and "save as" (rather than over the top of your original) should make them fine for uploading here.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone

I've been experimenting with a small bag of static grass. it certainly adds a layer of depth to the siding's grown over look. I've also continued laying the siding road which is coming together quite like how I wanted (which makes a change). Will post pictures tomorrow

Nestor

Are you using a static generator tool to make the grass stand up?  It makes the whole job a lot easier, although I've found that gently blowing it once it's laid (but before the glue dries) can make it stand up just as nicely.

I bought mine from http://www.finescalemodelworld.co.uk/ but as always there are other options available.

Archived