LMS coaches on Plymouth trains.

Mallard60022

• 2 months later...

1947, or thereabouts formations are no problem but alas I can't help with vehicle diagrams. 

I'd certainly be interested in any information on formations for West Country to North West trains in 1947, particularly those running through Cornwall as this is the period/area I attempt to model.

I have just read the article on everyday traffic movements at Penzance in the early 1950s in GWR Journal No. 62 and it mentions the 7.40am Penzance to Manchester train, which it describes as comprising two 3-coach sets; brake compo, second, van second for Liverpool, and brake compo, second, van second for Manchester. It says that sometimes an extra second class coach was added for Plymouth. It would be great to know if this train ran in 1947 and had the same formation. It would also be good to know if it was made up of LMS or GWR stock, or a mixture of both.

The same article also details the 4.45pm Penzance to Manchester, which is says was formed of all Midland stock as follows: parcels brake van, van second, three seconds, compo, van second, and parcels brake van.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Further to my previous post above (#27), I’m currently working my way through Roger Venning’s excellent series of GWR Journal articles on ‘Taunton in the ‘Forties’. In the second part, which is in GWRJ No. 32, there is a table showing express passenger and parcels traffic that passed through Taunton in Autumn 1946 and it gives some great insight into the formation of trains between the North West and Plymouth/Cornwall, some of which included LMS stock as follows (LMS stock is marked with an *, stock which alternated between LMS and GWR is marked with a #):

Down trains:

Postal 10/10 Paddington-Penzance: SG, StowV, StowV, SortV, SortV*, SortV, SortV, BkV (Padd-Penzance); SG (Padd- Plymouth)

Passenger 12.30 Liverpool-Plymouth: Van (Birkenhead-Plymouth); VT, T, T, C, C, T, VT, BkV* (L’pool-Plymouth)

Passenger 12.30 Manchester-Penzance: VT*, T*, C*, C*, T*, BkV*, BkV (M’chester-Penzance); BkV* (M’chester-Plymouth); VT*, T*, C* (Glasgow-Plymouth)

Passenger 9.13 Manchester-Plymouth: VT*, T*, T*, C*, C*, T*, VT*

Parcels 3/25 Bristol- Plymouth: BkV (Padd-Penzance); BkV* (Glasgow-Penzance); Van (Leeds-Penzance)

Passenger 12/18 Manchester-Plymouth: BkV*, VT, T, T, C, C, T, VT

Passenger 6/30 Paddington-Plymouth: VT, C, T, VT (Padd-Plymouth); VT#, C#, VT# (Manchester-Plymouth)

Up trains:

Passenger 8.45 Plymouth-Crewe: VT,T, C, C, T, T, VT (Plymouth-Liverpool); BkV* (Plymouth-Manchester)

Passenger 1/0 Plymouth-Liverpool: VT*, T*, C*, C*, T*, T*, VT* (Plymouth-Liverpool); BkV# (Plymouth-Manchester)

Passenger 12/00nn Penzance-Crewe: VT#, C#, VT# (Plymouth-Liverpool); T, T, SG, VT, C, VT (Penzance-Liverpool); BkV* (Penzance-Manchester); Van (Penzance-Leeds); BkV (Penzance-Sheffield)

Parcels 2/0 Penzance-Crewe: BkV (Penzance-Paddington); Van* (Penzance-Crewe); BkV (Penzance-Manchester); BkV (Penzance-Leeds); BkV* (Penzance-Carlisle); Bloater (Penzance-Bristol); BkV (Penzance-Cardiff); BkV (Penzance-Birmingham)

Passenger 4/45 Penzance-Crewe: BkV*, T*, C*, C*, T*, VT*, BkV (Penzance-Manchester); BkV*, C*, T*, VT* (Plymouth-Manchester); Van* (Plymouth-Sheffield)

Postal 6/40 Penzance-Paddington: BkV, SortV, SortV, SortV*, SortV, StowV, StowV, SG (Penzance-Padd); SG (Plymouth-Padd);

Key:

Time: 0.0 = am, 0/0 = pm

Vehicles: VT: Van Third; T = Third; C = Composite; BkV = Passenger Brake Van; SortV = GPO Sorting Van; StowV = GPO Stowage Van; SG = Siphon G

• RMweb Premium

Only just seen this topic, but in terms of the original query that included trains to Kingsbridge, there is plenty of evidence of "main line" GWR coaches at Kingsbridge. The evidence for LMS (or ex LMS) coaches heading down the branch is limited. I think that there might be one photo.

Archived