Any other ways of controlling model trains? - Link

Robin2

• 1 month later...

May I share with members the system that I have been using on my outdoor 7mm layout for the past 3 or 4 years?

I use a home - built solid state inertia controller which has four basic operations: accelerate, decelerate, direction 1, direction 2. Direction can only be switched when speed is at or near zero. This controller is coupled to a radio control receiver taken out of a cheap toy r/c car, the interface being through DIL "chip" switches. The transmitter unit has only two switches and has more than enough range to control track voltage and direction down the 20 metres or so of my garden. The receiver is battery powered and sits on the inside wall of my shed, with a wire through to an external antenna. The connection from receiver to controller is via standard multi pin d-connectors. If anyone is interested enough I could try to post a set of circuit diagrams of the system.

Graham, North Yorkshire

• 6 months later...

google search "Triang Big Big Hymek RC" This will come up with info. on this forum.

Also search "OO Radio Control". Look for Atomic Systems UK Train Sim and  OO Garden Railway (scroll down entries)  

and Antenna Models, Troon results..

This should tell you a great deal of what you need to know about Radio Control for O gauge and OO.

Dave

• 9 months later...

Tiptonian,

Thanks for that pointer.

With Smart Bluetooth and the work I'm exploring with Xbee's it certainly looks as though 'The Internet of Things' will provide some interesting solutions for the remote control of model railways in the not too distant future.

• 1 year later...

Archived