Information on Dingwall Station

jonti

I am thinking of using my local station of Dingwall as the basis of my new layout. I am wondering where would be the best place to find out information/plans on the plans of tracks and buildings. I have not decided on the exact period but it is likely to be between the 30s to 50s. I have found plenty of photos but none showing the track layout so far.

Any help much appreciated,

cheers,

Jonti

• RMweb Gold

Trackplan is covered in Hendry & Hendry, Illustrated Survey of LMS Stations (OPC). You will also be able to get it via the Scottish Library website.

Some photos of buildings in the book but note that one is reversed.

You'll need plenty of space, even in if you are thinking of N! One option could be just to model one side or other of the roadbridge that passes over the station.

But an interesting protorype and I wish you every success.

• 1 month later...

Short update,

I bought a map from NLS from which I have worked out my room is still 3 meters short despite being 10meters in length. I think I might look at the possibility of splitting it at the bridge as Joseph suggested having before on one side and after running down the side of the room with the possibility of joining them in one length should I ever have a space where this is possible.

Jonti

David & Joseph,

thanks for the helpful info. It will be autumn before I get a chance to do much more but I will definitely follow up both leads. Maybe contact both places first to check.

Jonti :imsohappy:

LMS Engine Sheds - Volume 6; The Highland Railway has a good track plan of all but the Bay for Strathpeffer/Kyle.  Its origins are the OS map, so Dr Gerbil Fritter's input will be similar.  Lots of good photos of the shed too.

The footbridge drawing has been done by my father (in one of the magazines and available from the Highland Railway Society.  The goods shed is similar but longer than the one in Garve (Orbach drew this in a 1955 Model Railway News).

Most of the buildings are still there, so all capable of being measured but the shed may well be impossible to get as it is long gone.  So too will have the road bridge but you may well be able to extrapolate from photos without too much bother.

Oh, and the big grain warehouse has recently been converted to flats so if you search the planning portal of Highland Council, you ought to pick up the drawings that were submitted as part of the planning application.

It is a well photographed station; a search of the various books on or including the Highland Railway will turn a lot of stuff up.

Dr. Gerbil-Fritters,

thanks for the plan. I will check it against the one I have from 1906 though it looks very similar.

PT,

Thanks for the info. I live just a couple of miles outside Dingwall so have the chance to look at the area. I suspect I might be asking you about one or two things in the future.

Jonti

Thanks for the info. I live just a couple of miles outside Dingwall so have the chance to look at the area. I suspect I might be asking you about one or two things in the future.

If you are local, then I advise you to go up to Golspie to have a look at the goods shed that is (or was 6 weeks ago) still there.  Planning permission for its demolition has just been granted so it is not long for the world.  It is the last of the hipped end highland goods sheds left (excepting one relocated to Brechin). 

Whilst it is a bit smaller, the arrangement and sizes of the components are the same so a good measure and photograph will give you a lot to go from.  The owner seems to live in the house adjacent and once I told him what I was doing he was fine with it (and the land is effectively public so there are no real issues of trespass.

If you are local, then I advise you to go up to Golspie to have a look at the goods shed that is (or was 6 weeks ago) still there.  Planning permission for its demolition has just been granted so it is not long for the world.  It is the last of the hipped end highland goods sheds left (excepting one relocated to Brechin). 

Whilst it is a bit smaller, the arrangement and sizes of the components are the same so a good measure and photograph will give you a lot to go from.  The owner seems to live in the house adjacent and once I told him what I was doing he was fine with it (and the land is effectively public so there are no real issues of trespass.

Thanks for this tip. I will be up at Golspie middle of next month.

Jonti

There is  picture of the shed at Invergordon in this thread - http://www.modellersunited.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=607

I think the shed at Dingwall was similar in size.  As too is Pitlochry.

Thanks for pointing these out - some interesting shots. I didn't realise an NBR trespass notice survived at Ladybank into the 1980s ... the things you learn on the Internet :)

Jonti - here's Dingwall goods shed in April 1978. Sorry about the white stripe but I am too lazy to dig out the print again and fire up my ancient scanner on Sunday morning ...

post-7032-0-84369100-1374397930_thumb.jpg

It was taken from a train so isn't terribly sharp, but you could get a pretty good impression of the length by counting sleepers (chairs, really) on the adjacent siding and assuming 2'6" spacings. Needs a pin (don't try that on your computer screen though) and good eyesight!

While we're on Dingwall here's a sketch I made of the North signal cabin diagram in the mid 1970s. I either didn't have time or didn't have the neck to ask for access to the South cabin, so I don't have a copy of that diagram, but if it's of particular interest I know a man who probably does ...

post-7032-0-09322400-1374398499_thumb.jpg

You are probably aware of the AmBaile website which has a number of good photos of Dingwall station (sadly no plans it seems, though there are good plans of a number of other stations and structures).

Good luck with the project!

Graham

Portchullin Tatty,

thanks for the further info.

Graham,

thanks for the information, photo and link. I am looking more at the 1900-1910 era for the layout as far as the trackplan is concerned so am not sure if the signal cabin diagram is so relevant but it looks interesting.

Cheers,

Jonti

Hi Jonti,

My diagram is a bit out of your period right enough, so here are 1932 diagrams from the South and North boxes. They don't show the all the sidings of course but they might give you insights into the operating patterns.

South:

post-7032-0-81006600-1374611048_thumb.jpg

North:

post-7032-0-50063600-1374611061_thumb.jpg

Dingwall must have been almost busy at times what with main and branch trains, Inverness/Tain locals and mixed trains to Strathpeffer, and banking of branch trains as far as Raven's Rock.

Hope the diagrams are of interest. Many thanks to Robert Dey for allowing me to post them.

regards

Graham

Dingwall must have been almost busy at times what with main and branch trains, Inverness/Tain locals and mixed trains to Strathpeffer, and banking of branch trains as far as Raven's Rock.

And they shunted the further north TPO; there is the first part of an article in one of the last couple of Highland Society Journal by John Roake that discusses this.

These signal diagrams look to show the LMS resignalling; the number of spare levers is a clue to the presence of a number of additional signals in the Highland days.  If you join the Highland Society there is a yahoo group chatline that you can join and you can post questions - there is likely to be someone that has an inkling as to what the previous signalling diagram was - it is likely to be complicated; what are your signal building powers like!?!?!

Once again thanks Graham for the info.

Portchullin Tatty,

I will be finding out how good my signal building powers are. Lots of info again and thanks for sharing it. I see I will have to start making a few lists of things to do and rough plans as well. 

Jonti

W hat a pleasing project, and do I recall that there's an excuse for a canal to be incorporated?   Also, whilst the bridge at Inverness was missing, all sorts of unusual workings were undertaken, tho' in due course maintainance as done at Muir of Ord (I think) in the open!  in wintertime!,  someone deserved a medal for sure!  Proper railwaymen up there they are.  Station at Strathpeffer more or less survives -  as a Museum of Sottish Childhood, well worth a visit.

Have you seen this 1930 aerial shot of Dingwall station? If you register on the site you can zoom in to see finer detail, of which there's plenty ... there's a (Small?) Ben waiting to depart in the Down platform, and over 70 cattle wagons in the sidings :O

Can anyone identify the van opposite the loco? As far as I can tell from my trusty DLG Hunter book bought in the 1970s, it's not a Highland type A goods or passenger brake - they had duckets, but the window spacing is wrong. I'm sure someone will know...

post-7032-0-32358400-1375559992.png

regards

Graham

Edited to add link ... duh ....

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen this 1930 aerial shot of Dingwall station? If you register on the site you can zoom in to see finer detail, of which there's plenty ... there's a (Small?) Ben waiting to depart in the Down platform, and over 70 cattle wagons in the sidings :O

Can anyone identify the van opposite the loco? As far as I can tell from my trusty DLG Hunter book bought in the 1970s, it's not a Highland type A goods or passenger brake - they had duckets, but the window spacing is wrong. I'm sure someone will know...

attachicon.gifdingwall-1930-van.png

regards

Graham

Edited to add link ... duh ....

We (my father and I) have concluded this is likely to be a 6 wheeled Jones Passenger Full Brake. This is very similar to the dia 34 which can be seen here http://www.lochgormkits.co.uk/html/coach_details.html#HRC9 but was a bit shorter at 26' long. Thus it had one less window and side panel.

It was known that this was on the Strathpeffer branch a bit earlier than this and this photograph suggests that it lasted rather longer than was expected. However, as it looks to be wearing a goods livery rather than a passenger one, it is likely that it is in non service use. Indeed, it is so far against the buffers it may have turned its last wheel already!

There will be a photograph and I think a drawing of this in my father's forthcoming book on the carriages & wagons of the highland. The manuscript for this was submitted recently to the publishers and the are only a couple of drawings left to do. It will be of the quality and style of my father's wagons or loco books - thus you will get drawings of most of the vehicles and as many photographs as have been found. A publication in time for the Glasgow show next year is hoped for.

• 7 months later...

Jonti,

I've been collecting plans for Scottish BLTs and so on for some time... here's Dingwall for you.

attachicon.gifdingwall 01.jpg

So, its been a while since I last posted. I have done bits and bats of research and have decided to go with ca. 1930-40s and the plan in the good doctors post quoted above. I have about 28' to work with meaning that I can stay with OO a scale I am used to but with not enough room to produce the whole station/yard I would probably only do to the bridge or I could do the whole lot in N gauge but have no experience in this scale. All my OO is GWR so I would be doing everything from scratch.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what I should do.

Jonti

Archived