Flickr has changed as of 20th May 2013

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Help!

I cant get in to Flikr at all - windows keeps erroring every time I try

Phil

Phil have you tried via  a link into a specific collection - e.g. use Pyewipe Jcb's link at the bottom of his post on Page 1 of this thread?  But one thing I have noticed is that some pics are taking a long time to load, even on the Mac although it obviously also depends on your ISP and the bandwidth of your connection, so i do wonder if folk are suffering timing out?

PS And for an hilarious (?) aside on this there was a piece on the IT etc thing on BBC Breakfast this morning about Google buying Tumblr which included some Google personnette saying that they wouldn't interfere with its format - right behind her was a sign advertising Flickr.

I don't know if it's my connection or actual improvements, but today is the first day since the Changes that the new Flickr actually seems at all usable, in terms of speed and responsivity.

I've had chance to poke around a little more, and the sad thing is that all the changes are very superficial.  "Under the hood" there seems to be very few changes - it's all about flashy presentation.  For example someone upthread said that the new pageless photostream is better ... but the new one is also paged, just with bigger pages (about 8 times as many photos as previously).

• RMweb Gold

Phil have you tried via  a link into a specific collection - e.g. use Pyewipe Jcb's link at the bottom of his post on Page 1 of this thread?  But one thing I have noticed is that some pics are taking a long time to load, even on the Mac although it obviously also depends on your ISP and the bandwidth of your connection, so i do wonder if folk are suffering timing out?

PS And for an hilarious (?) aside on this there was a piece on the IT etc thing on BBC Breakfast this morning about Google buying Tumblr which included some Google personnette saying that they wouldn't interfere with its format - right behind her was a sign advertising Flickr.

Many thanks Mike that's got me in

Phil

My Pro account comes up for renewal next month, $24, should I keep it going, I'm not sure what the advantages are any more, but if it lapses I under stand that I cannot get it back at this price. So what should I do?

The main advantage - that you definitely can't get back - is no limit at all on the amount you can upload.  The limit, though, is so large it would take a determined still photographer to use it up.

The other advantage is that ad-display seems, as far as I can tell, to be on similar terms to before: if you have a pro account you don't see ads, and other users don't see ads on your pages either.  It's far from clear whether the same terms apply to the new "ad-free" account.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit scary. But with 14000 snaps I'm unlikely to move it. Collections;they appear keen to hide. But they're still there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/collections/ in my case.

I'm typing this on an eye pad which is horrible and confusing compared to my more usual laptop. I guess like the new Flikker its just a matter of getting used to it. But I do wonder if there is such a need to reinvent the wheel so often. Probably just an age thing. Init.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Unbelievable...

You can tell Flickr has been Yahooised as I just got SPAM on the first photo in my photostream! As if some phantom woman from Africa with a newly created free acvount wants to chat about my "exciting" pictures of an Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 double decker bus in Chichester...

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievable...

You can tell Flickr has been Yahooised as I just got SPAM on the first photo in my photostream! As if some phantom woman from Africa with a newly created free acvount wants to chat about my "exciting" pictures of an Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 double decker bus in Chichester...

I've just had exactly the same experience.

David

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have the Yahoo Brain Trust (presumably a offshoot of the Cirrus Cybernetics Corporation) fiddled with Flickr again?

All of a sudden my view counts on many of my pictures have skyrocketed as though the way they are counted has changed in some significant way.  There can't be that many people out there interested in a motley collection of Volvo Olympians pottering around Chichester!!

Since the thumbnails are now bigger flickr is counting those too.  If one of your contacts looks at their contacts recent photos, you get a hit, five is the default, so you should see your last five photos getting more hits.  Someone searches, and then scrolls through the mess, if one of your photos shows up on the search page, another hit.  If someone actually clicks on your material you get another hit.

This change increases the number of hits and will no doubt be used to justify advertising rates when the ads come...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got about half way through, after reading the guy recycling the same paragraph in a different context - looked down to see how big the article was and decided it wasn't worth my time reading on.

I think that is quite a badly constructed argument to attack yahoo using flickr and others as a medium. It may well be right, i dont know, its an obvious point that integrating a start up into a larger more hierarchical organisation is going to stunt innovation, it doesn't take much to say that but to be honest there is so little depth, substansive evidance or comparison that really I feel its quite unbalanced.

Its very easy to over complicate these things. At the end of the day people don't like change as they are scared by it or it takes them out their comfort zone, they look at how it is going to effect them and what they do rather than that bigger picture of where things are going,hence why organisational change management is always a key part of any change within a business. These sort of "i hate the changes" movements have been seen with facebook et all its not unique to flickr or yahoo - its because, to a large extent people do not like change....

He keeps talking about as "corpdev" and strategy but seems to fail to know anything about yahoo's mission or strategic direction in the context of flickr and these products to understand why change was made and what they were trying to acheive and simply focusses on "having a pop" hence why i decided i wouldnt waste another 10 minutes reading..!

I accept that the product has been overtaken by things like instagram or facebook for family and friends photos in some respects - but is this part of the corporate strategy? to compete with facebook or "fad" apps? I would argue no. Did it ever intend to do what facebook did - again i'd argue no, it was never competing against facebook. I was lucky enough to be one of the early addopters of facebook in 2006 (when it hit the uk) as i was at Uni at the time and it was the perfect tool, the tool we all used to organise our social lives from society meets, course nights out, revision sessions, and add people on your course that you thought were hot but didnt have the guts to talk to etc (I say in jest of course). Since, facebook has grown for us as a way to keep and get back in touch with long lost friends, people on the otherside of the world who we only previously received christmas e-mails or postcards from. But the point is this - that is not flickr, never was, never intended to be and never will be.

Building a brand is about looking long term and not about reacting to market forces every 5 minutes or all that investment he keeps talking about will be squandered when the market moves again to the next "fad". Flickr's core target market is budding photographers who display their work for all to critique, share, take inspiration from, use as a platform to build knowledge, experience and in some cases a business. He seems to have ignored all of this because "its not instagram and it doesnt react to the market". Strategy is a longer term game my friend, 3-5 years typically and you don't change it on a wim. In light of the above, flickr (although not perfect) is serving its market segment just fine thank you and provides something non of those other services can provide.

One thing I forgot to add and will add here rather than edit as I am on my phone, is as follows:

He keeps referencing start ups and growth - he fails to understand that almost all start ups get to a point where they just don't have the leverage to go any further

I use that in both the financial and operational derivative of the word. Demand outstrips supply and they don't have the cashflow or route to market to grow any further - that's why we have a tv show called dragons den...

He touches on the costs of storage and mentions that in the immediate years after yahoo acquired Flickr it grew rapidly. That says exactly the above is true to me and is argue that without going into a structures corporate business flickr would t have been able to harness its potential at all given the vast amounts of storage required to host 10-20 megapixel raw or tiff images etc.

That just isn't the case for Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

During their growth fase they required non of this to thrive and grow. Facebook maxed out on low quality 800x600 images until aprox 2010 and was purely a text box based framed website, twitter hosted even smaller images via outsourced photo hosting sites and limited to 180 characters of data per post, Instagram is fantastic for iPhone photos but you could t post an image at full resolution from a Nixon d4 or canon 1dx could you?

The point is that the business model is not comparable these sites did not require the infrastructure to the extent of Flickr to survive or grow. It's only very very recently that the images on Facebook have been hires when the business has grown sufficiently to a place in the market whcih enables it to be able to get the economies of scale required to host these things - that is very different for sites like Flickr or YouTube to which this was integral to its success from the very start.

It's interesting to note the absense of YouTube from his argument - another high profile start up bought out by a bigger entity - but out and look how it had prospered since with the addition of full hd and 3d options - again I rase the issue of whether his is a balanced argument.

I guess a lot of people may give me some negative points for these - such is life, but I hope it rather sparks some constructive debate as I've put a bit of though and I believe reasoned argument behind the counter point.

Andy

I loathe just about every change flickr (or rather, Yahoo) has instigated. An interesting article on Yahoo's influence here:

http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-internet

That article's about 18 months old. There's been the odd drop of water under the bridge since then.....

Archived