Bitterley Wharf, Clee Hill, Shropshire.

I know the owner of Bitterley yard and will try and get hold of him to arrange a visit,  if anyone wants a look round the yard at the top I can offer them a cup of tea as I'm in the process of moving into a house that backs onto it.

• 2 weeks later...

I own the sign from Bitterley Yard…… ALL TRAINS STOP HERE TO PUT DOWN BRAKES

I explored the area some years after closure, track had been lifted but by using a photo from a Railway Magazine article I traced where the sign had been…… I beat down the boscage and there it was, laying face down, all the timber had rotted so I collected up the cast iron letters and took them home……. in my Austin Seven!

• Like 3

In post 46 I enquired about a point that was operated by lever 'B' which was not included in the signal box frame locking.

I have an undated photograph showing a single point rod heading off up the incline.

As I have decided to concentrate the results of my research into a single folder I gave an RAF aerial photo careful scrutiny based on the information that the maximum distance a mechanically operated point can be from the SB or GF is 350 yards.  I believe I have found some earthworks that indicate the existence of a short siding above trap point.

So I am a fairly happy bunny.

Gordon A

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had an interesting visit to Bitterley Wharf and Clee Hill courtesy of Hesperus who obtained  permission from the relevant land owners and tenants for us.

Here is the reccy group

post-7071-0-48230300-1458991805_thumb.jpg

Hespurus, RT, Avonside 1563, Richard L, and Avonside's son Isaac. 

The most intact item is the road bridge that crossed the branch line from Ludlow and the later incline head shunt.

post-7071-0-02915400-1458992148_thumb.jpg

A general shot of the bridge.

post-7071-0-29852500-1458992320_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-95464600-1458992347_thumb.jpg

The two abutments

post-7071-0-47058900-1458992459_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-62957700-1458992519_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-65678500-1458992540_thumb.jpg

And some shots from under the bridge

I will put some more photos up later.

If any one else from the group would like to add their pictures feel free.

Gordon A

• Like 8

The distance between the two abutments was 35ft and the abutments were 21ft 8inches wide.

While we were down on the trackbed on the Ludlow side of the road bridge we spotted some unusual fencing posts of a type none of us had seen before.

post-7071-0-21005900-1459003639_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-16278900-1459003662_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-83071900-1459003680_thumb.jpg

As you will see they are made out sheet metal that have been shaped in a press and possible galvanized before riveting the two halves together.

post-7071-0-04228900-1459003700_thumb.jpg

One of the posts had a cast finial in the top. Sorry it is slightly out of focus.

None of us had seen fence posts of this type before. They were present both sides of the track bed at Bitterley on the Ludlow side of the bridge.

We also saw a few examples on the top of Clee Hill on the boundary of the track bed.

Does anyone know anything about this type of fence post?

post-7071-0-58256400-1459004387_thumb.jpg

We also uncovered what looked like an underground drain cover and manhole.

The track bed of the two lower sidings alongside the standard gauge incline is covered in water forming a lake.

After that there is a stream running down the middle of the branch line track bed to Ludlow.

IU would think when the branch was first built they may have had some major water problems.

Gordon A

Bitterley Wharf is associated with the old sidings which are on higher ground than the two new sidings adj the incline to Clee Hill.

Originally the wharf was also fed by a narrow gauge incline which fed to a number of tracks on the top of the wharf.

We did find a bit of old narrow gauge rail pushed into the base of a tree.

post-7071-0-42990000-1459021768_thumb.jpg

A small "office" type building adjacent to the entrance to the wharf from the local road.

post-7071-0-17040100-1459022387_thumb.jpg

Large shed at the end of the wharf. The narrow gauge incline came down the side of this shed.

There are no traces left of where the narrow gauge incline fed into the wharf.

post-7071-0-24482100-1459022498_thumb.jpg

Storage cells

post-7071-0-91867500-1459022707_thumb.jpg

Looking along the top of the wharf towards Ludlow. This flat surface used to have a number of narrow gauge lines for offloading the stone into standard gauge wagons which would at a lower level on the left. This was so the narrow gauge could tip directly into the standard gauge wagons.

post-7071-0-15826500-1459023173_thumb.jpg

This a side on picture of the standard gauge incline up to Clee Hill from the wharf.

It shows how overgrown the site has become in over 50 years. The incline is climbing to the left.

Gordon A

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Not sure about the sellers comments about the photo.  Surely it was taken at the summit with the loco shunting wagons that had come up the incline.  I don't think this loco ever worked trains up from Ludlow?

Edited by 5050

The photo of 1142 is at the top of the incline with the engine shed hidden behind it.  1142 replaced the last in a line of Sentinels at the summit in July 1957 and lasted for a couple of years before being withdrawn and replaced by it's Swansea Harbour Trust twin 1143 which lasted until the incline closed in 1960.

source Shropshire Railways by Geoff Cryer

That NLS map is great,  looking at the quarry lines above my house it looks like a Hornby Trainset.

• 8 months later...

I was showing a neighbour some pictures of the railway tonight which set me off Googling once he had left.  I found a handful of photos of the engine shed and this video

about the line.  He makes a few errors but he did visit a few locations we missed.
  • Like 3

Thanks Gordon - in fact it was this picture and one in a book which raised my interest in seeing some more.

Also - can anyone explain the unusual brick arches under the bridge? Why not just lay one continuous arch in each bay rather than put a line of what appear to be slightly sloped arches end to end?

post-17823-0-46965400-1516202606.jpg

Thanks Gordon - in fact it was this picture and one in a book which raised my interest in seeing some more.

Also - can anyone explain the unusual brick arches under the bridge? Why not just lay one continuous arch in each bay rather than put a line of what appear to be slightly sloped arches end to end?

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.JPG

I don't know the technical reasons for this type of structure nut I have noted quite a number of bridges built in this manner.

Gordon A

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.JPG

The bridge appears to be tapered. If all the arches have the same radius, this will create the steps. Building arches with a reducing radius would be a tad tricky.

The bridge appears to be tapered. If all the arches have the same radius, this will create the steps. Building arches with a reducing radius would be a tad tricky.

I would never have thought of that, but yes indeed - it makes sense now.  I don't think I've ever come across simple plate girder bridge which is tapered in length.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Earlier this year I did a lost railways of Shropshire tour in one of my double decker buses.

One of the areas visited was Titterstone Clee hill where the narrow gauge system ran, this is further up from the standard gauge system.

There is still substantial concrete buildings up there.

The bus is at the top of Dhustone lane stopped in a suitable turning area, it wasn't possible to drive to the top car park in case it grounded out.

I will try to find the photos on the computer of the remaining buildings.

image.jpeg.e80a559e6e07947fd04bcfda13ba8e80.jpeg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 5