Skrit Building

Mike

There has recently been a debate as to what constitutes scratch building/kit building. I have almost completed a 27Xx number 2791 a Wolverhampton Stafford Road based engine. Although the body and chassis have been Scratch built from Nickel Silver and brass, I have used several commercial products in the build including the coupling rods. So I have coined the term Skrit Building, a sort of half and half combo.

My link

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It still counts as scratchbuilt in my book Mike. Few turn their own wheels or make their own motor....!!

Agreed. Intelligent use of detail castings, buffers etc but with the bodywork and chassis hewn from sheet metal = accelerated scratchbuilding.

Regards

Michael

Agreed. Intelligent use of detail castings, buffers etc but with the bodywork and chassis hewn from sheet metal = accelerated scratchbuilding.

Regards

Michael

Thank you guys, much appreciated

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I am concerned if you have to cut anything from a sheet of brass, or have to form a part that could have been etched and folded, or have to use power tools (eg lathe) it is scratch building.

Kit building is where everything is supplied in the box to make a model by simple techniques such as folding, rolling, and has instructions and sufficient drawings to put the parts together without any external resource.

To me there is a clear dividing line so I don't think there is anything in between. Just degrees of desperation in scratch building. :(

• RMweb Premium

Although the body and chassis have been Scratch built from Nickel Silver and brass, I have used several commercial products in the build including the coupling rods. Mike

There's no doubt in my mind; that's Scratch Built. What a beautiful Locomotive.

Archived