Weymouth Quay

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very interesting stuff folks.  I notice that one of those 33s has white window surrounds, was this usual?  I only remember them in yellow.

Many thanks, Dave.

14 minutes ago, DLT said:

Very interesting stuff folks.  I notice that one of those 33s has white window surrounds, was this usual?  I only remember them in yellow.

Many thanks, Dave.

To be honest I found these pictures of Weymouth as they are all of the same loco 33101 and it was the white window band that piqued my interest as well, so I started to search for more pictures of it. But for more information see this post....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2020 at 15:54, montyburns56 said:

37429 “Eisteddfod Genedlaethol” July 1993

37429 “Eisteddfod Genedlaethol” 37429 “Eisteddfod Genedlaethol”

Seeing these (and the BBC story today) reminded me of the railtour to Weymouth Quay and the Swanage Railway that me and a couple of mates did in 1994.  I'll try and find the slides; it was a glorious day at Weymouth.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 14:23, 10800 said:

I understand from last night's Spotlight that track lifting has commenced and will take a couple of months.

Shame. That's my last reason to visit Weymouth gone then. Even though long disused, walking along the harbour tramway was always a pleasant thing to do.

The only other place I know which had anything like that was Dieppe and they removed all trace of the former Gare Maritime as soon as the Channel Tunnel opened. That seemed a great shame because, though built in the 1950s, the two storey terminal building was an interesting piece of 1930s architecture and there's even a rather expensive card model of it available in H0. It would have made an excellent visitor centre, museum or even restaurant overlooking the harbour  The actual ferries had  moved to the other side of the harbour a few years earlier but boat trains still used the Gare Martime Voyageurs on Quai Henri IV with a bus link to take passengers to the new, more efficient, but infinitely less attractive ferry port. All that's left is a hundred metres or so of inset track at the far end of the quay, where it becomes the harbour mouth, that was the headshunt for the gare maritime marchandises.

I have at least been able to travel on boat trains over both harbour railways. More generally, despite being too young to see them much used at the little ports that often used to have them, I find inset track on quaysides incredibly appealing. They also make an excellent visual feature on any quayside development as for example at Gloucester. Has Weymouth missed a trick?    

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Has the branch been disconnected for years, or simply sitting there unused (and unusable)?

Unused and unusable from what I could see when I visited a couple of weeks ago.

Two signals for the line that I saw (DR196 and DR205) were still lit, but that's probably not unexpected given that any signalling work to alter the existing arrangements would be very low on anyones budget priority list.

1746312850_SignalDR196trackatJubileeClcrossinglookingnorthWeymouthHarbourTramway27092020-RMweb.jpg.da0c3be934afca18b33188cf19239e99.jpg

1235397733_SignalDR205trackapproachingJubileeClcrossinglookingsouthWeymouthHarbourTramway27092020-RMweb.jpg.9b254e8a3b1d670006aa2893e78b8040.jpg

More images from along the tramway that I took on 27th September 2020, a week before work to dismantle the line started, are available here.

Edited by 4630
To add link to more photos
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/10/2020 at 12:58, Zomboid said:

Always a shame to see a railway removed, but this one has been a pointless liability for decades. And without the ferries is hard to imagine what other future it could have had.

Exactly so. Some of the froth and wibble being generated on some FB groups has been unbelieveable...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Exactly so. Some of the froth and wibble being generated on some FB groups has been unbelieveable...

No doubt every single one of them suggesting what should be done with other people's money.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...