Weymouth Quay

What a wonderfully nostalgic photo!  A few years after this photo was taken I spent a few months working on the buses at Weymouth - Western National by then due to the National Bus Cmpany merging the two companies - and I well rememeber working on the Lodekkas.  One of them had brakes which squealed all the way down the hill past the Sidney Hall when returning to the Kings Statue from Wyke Regis whilst another was overhauled in the workshop at Edward St garage and looked immaculate when she came out.  The buses were used to transfer boat passengers to Weymouth station who were not travelling to London - the boat train ran to Waterloo.

Mention has also been made earlier in this thread of Huntsman Ales - these were from the Eldridge Pope brewery at Dorchester which closed sometime in the early 1980s I believe.  The Eldridge Pope brewery was on Weymouth Avenue in Dorchester next to the road entrance to Dorchester South station and was at one time rail served.  Devenish brewery was in Hope Sq. on the opposite side of the harbour from the Tramway - anyone remember the dreadfull Saxon Bitter?  There was an excellent Devenish pub near the Town Bridge called the Kings Arms - still there but much enlarged these days - and an added attraction in the early 1970s was that it was regularly frequented by young female student teachers from Weymouth College!  Happy days!

Gerry

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it was the Caesarea and the Sarnia that I travelled on to Guernsey and back during the mid 1960s

I can confirm this - spent a lot of time at Weymouth from the mid-sixties until the late 70's and the REGULAR Channel Island ferries were always the Caesarea and Sarnia............

There was an excellent Devenish pub near the Town Bridge called the Kings Arms - still there but much enlarged these days - and an added attraction in the early 1970s was that it was regularly frequented by young female student teachers from Weymouth College!  Happy days!

Gerry

Indeed - there was a Devenish pub at the end of the dead-end road right behind the Signal box where one could wander up the adjacent pathway and sit on the bench next to the gantry with the signals controlling entry to the station & branch and watch the semaphores go up & down and the 33's push & pull and 47's & Westerns arrive & depart on summer Saturday services from all points north and the 03 chug in & out with the stock and the occasional Class 120 DMU pollute the air..............very happy days !

The CI tomatoes off the ships would either be in BD containers on Conflats or in 12t fruit vans and 03'd to Jersey yard............

Going back over weekend to see this at the Nothe Fort

Special Event: Annual Passes Not Applicable- Admission £6 for all under 5 years Free.   

August 10th August - 1st September -  events-matchstick.jpgMatchstick Fleet Returns

This fantastic display returns for its only visit this year. Come and be amazed at the detail and accuracy of the scaled matchstick replicas of modern warships on display. The whole of our exhibition area is filled with these exquisite models that have taken one man a lifetime to build. A very special and unique collection.

Normal entry prices apply

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

Mention has also been made earlier in this thread of Huntsman Ales - these were from the Eldridge Pope brewery at Dorchester which closed sometime in the early 1980s I believe.

It closed much later than that, it was certainly still going in the late '90's. Wikipedia (I know) has the date down as 2003 when it finally closed.

Going back over weekend to see this at the Nothe Fort

Special Event: Annual Passes Not Applicable- Admission £6 for all under 5 years Free.   

August 10th August - 1st September -  events-matchstick.jpgMatchstick Fleet Returns

This fantastic display returns for its only visit this year. Come and be amazed at the detail and accuracy of the scaled matchstick replicas of modern warships on display. The whole of our exhibition area is filled with these exquisite models that have taken one man a lifetime to build. A very special and unique collection.

Normal entry prices apply

And for those that miss it, Phil's fantastic collection will be on display at the Blandford exhibition (see signature below) on the 21st & 22nd of September, all for £4.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
....I think the only way to 'preserve' the line would be to have some kind of regular running over it, so that the inhabitants of Weymouth keep a memory of how to interact with it. As things currently stand, new generations of people are growing up in the town not knowing how to cope with it.

I stumbled across this forthcoming schedule which suggests that a train may actually attempt to traverse the Quay Line on 21st October. Quite how they're going to manage this is another thing, and of course it could still be cancelled before then......

The guy that posted this on Facebook and his followers seem to talk a lot about the possibilities of reinstating the line and are pretty excited about this but the only reason I can think of for engineering trips to the quayside is to lift the rails...........unfortunately.

The guy that posted this on Facebook and his followers seem to talk a lot about the possibilities of reinstating the line and are pretty excited about this but the only reason I can think of for engineering trips to the quayside is to lift the rails...........unfortunately.

It's what the local Council have always wanted. They are pretty good at closing things down....

• RMweb Gold

We don't know what the train consists of ... could it be a 'test train' to check the condition of the track to see whether it is still useable?

They could always borrow 1369 from the SDR for old times sake but there might be a few parked cars in its way up the quay.

• RMweb Gold

C'mon chaps - trains in the street were anachronistic 50 years ago, and have no place in the C21 in a busy place like Weymouth. Apart from us gricers, who else would benefit from there being trains along there? I note Ivan thinks the council are poor, but would removing the rail enable them to redevelop quayside areas?

See http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/OctEng2013.aspx#127203

The lines will be closed from late evening between Dorchester and Weymouth on Monday to Thursday for track renewals. The normal train service will run until the 1805 London Waterloo-Weymouth in one direction and the 2110 Weymouth-London Waterloo in the other. From then, trains will be replaced by buses between Dorchester South and Weymouth. Some trains will leave Dorchester South later than norrmal to connect with bus services

Possibly using the Quay spur for stabling

Stu

• RMweb Premium

They could always borrow 1369 from the SDR for old times sake but there might be a few parked cars in its way up the quay.

Seem to remember there were plans to try this 2-3 years ago, but Elf & Safety or something scuppered the idea.