Scenecraft Coaling Tower

MDM Ltd

• RMweb Gold

Shame they aren't doing one in N...

But we don't know if they are not yet do we?

Bachmann announces there new ranges around end of Feb or March.

As has been mentioned elsewhere , it is felt Bachmann only let this one slip out simply because Hornby had announced theirs.

Who knows what other wonders await us biggrin.gif

Hi All

I wish they would make a GWR coaling stage, like the one at Didcot.

I know a few pepole who would love one for thier layout.

Maybe one day they will.smile.gif

All the best

Darren

Hi Darren

Is 44-048 Coaling stage with water tank 15.8 x 8.8 any good as a small Didcot type coaler. Has a tipping ramp on it. A full Didcot sized item would be much more expensive of course.

Having grown up in carnforth I now have a quandry.... I model modern image.. but carnforth tower still stands? Can I get away with it?

It should be fine to use this on a modern layout. Just set to it with some paints for that extra derelict feel and maybe chip the edges a bit.

Here are some images, kindly provided by Bachmann from a site visit, that show the tower in it's modern condition.

Note here the missing stair treads, shrub growing up by the jigger feeders, ivy up the legs, the derelict control cabins and chipped concrete edges.

bachmann_coaltow02.jpg

Here also the lifting cradle, covered in lichen and track now permanently ballasted in.

bachmann_coaltow03.jpg

On a modern layout, it makes a good storage area for your steam day special and appropriate coaches.

• Like 1

Guest TomTank

Looking at the condition of the tower now, I'm amazed that it's not been demolished as a dangerous structure.

this links to something I posted earlier, I had often wondered why it's not used for coaling locos, but I believe there is something wrong with the concrete meaning it can never be used, anyone shed some light on the subject.

I also get the feeling that the tower is listed.

Am i right the ash plant is still there too.

The coaling tower and ash plant are listed but both suffer form the so-called "concrete cancer" where the re-inforcing rods inside the structure corrode and beak out through the concrete itself - so whilst the tower stands, it is not structurally safe to use operationally.

Guest TomTank

The coaling tower and ash plant are listed but both suffer form the so-called "concrete cancer" where the re-inforcing rods inside the structure corrode and beak out through the concrete itself - so whilst the tower stands, it is not structurally safe to use operationally.

Cheers Sir Hadyn, is there any way to reverse these effects or are the towers ultimatly doomed

Oddly, Hattons have it listed at ??87.00 while Kernow have the RRP at ??84.95

Strange, just checked the newsletter again, and yep, its listed and priced at ??72.95...

Ah, Edit - from Kernow models website :

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/29799/44070_Bachmann_Scenecraft_Coaling_Tower

Price:

curr_1.gif ??72.95, Saving ??12.00 (14%) on RRP (??84.95)

Strange, just checked the newsletter again, and yep, its listed and priced at ??72.95...

Hi,

Well if it's of the quality that we have seen on other Scenecraft products I think it's quite a reasonable price

It'll look impresive on any layout!

Simon

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Difficult to compare the Hornby and Bachmann offerings as they are of different prototype structures, however the Bachmann looks to be much finer detail than Hornby's. It is a case of could you purchase extra detailing parts for the Hornby tower to bring it up to the Bachmann's quality and still come in cheaper?:unsure:

Cheers Sir Hadyn, is there any way to reverse these effects or are the towers ultimatly doomed

I don't know the details of the Carnforth tower, but under normal conditions a structure with Concrete Cancer would just be demolished. If it is a listed or notable structure, it could be conserved but this would be a very expensive process. Therefore we end up with the catch 22 of so many unique structures whereby their listing prevents their demolition, but the money to fully restore them cannot be found. Many such structures have survived for many years until eventually the have to be demolished on safety grounds or they collapse (e.g. Brighton West Pier....).

Let's hope that the coaling tower at Carnforth can be rescued before this fate befalls it.

We've had one delivered (We ordered a LOT more)

It arrived in a lot more pieces than it ought to have.

It's been rebuilt to the best of our abilities, but it can't really be sold though it looks nice as a display model to generate pre-orders on the rest of the towers that should be coming our way.

The single 4 road engine shed we had delivered (Again we ordered lots more) was in a similar condition.

We've had one delivered (We ordered a LOT more)

It arrived in a lot more pieces than it ought to have.

It's been rebuilt to the best of our abilities, but it can't really be sold though it looks nice as a display model to generate pre-orders on the rest of the towers that should be coming our way.

The single 4 road engine shed we had delivered (Again we ordered lots more) was in a similar condition.

I was told in Darlington Railway Modeling that there was only enough brought in for each shop to have 1 each (might explain why Hattons do not have theirs listed as it porbably went straight out the door) and the rest will follow later. Hopefully this is the case, but I am happy as I have both the engine shed and the coaling tower.

Got both out last night and there was no major damanage just a few loose handrail posts but a pair of pliers soon fixes that. Will have to get it out again to take pics for everyone to see. All in all its a great model and far better than the Hornby model.

I have to say that these are rather nice Models. Only wanted the coaling tower really as i used to be a Carnforth regular, but just had to get that engine shed as well after seeing some pictures in the mags earlier in the year. Plan was to show the loco shed as a derelict like at Bescot, but having now seen it, am trying to think of a way to include it in the operational layout somehow. The roof glazing is too nice to destroy and turn into a hulk.

I had a relative collect mine from one of the big dealers in the north of the country as i had read the Bachmanns statement on their website

“Due to the size, complexity and delicate nature of this product, we strongly advise that is it purchased over the counter or collected from your approved Bachmann Retailer, rather than purchased via a mail order serviceâ€

Having now got them home, I think it was one of the best things i ever did as the size and weight of the boxes, the brittleness (is that a word?) means that it would almost certainly be destroyed accidentaly by any delivery company. Realise i am lucky to have a large family all over the UK, but would advise anyone yet to buy one these models to try a closer model shop, who may match prices, rather than going for a kit sent in the post, if suitable relatives / work colleagues are not conveniently situated.

Having now got them home, I think it was one of the best things i ever did as the size and weight of the boxes, the brittleness (is that a word?) means that it would almost certainly be destroyed accidentaly by any delivery company. Realise i am lucky to have a large family all over the UK, but would advise anyone yet to buy one these models to try a closer model shop, who may match prices, rather than going for a kit sent in the post, if suitable relatives / work colleagues are not conveniently situated.

I cam understand Bachmann's (and others) concerns, but it will have been delivered by a courier to the shop/dealer/stockist etc. As long as it is as well packaged as the beautiful engine shed I received from a certain Cornish dealer this morning then it will be ok. It was like opening a russian doll getting at it! Box in box in box with plenty of packing materials! Unfortunately mine has a manufacturing defect done at the factory (one of the 6 internal supports is missing), but what a magnificent model it is. I am really impressed with this!

Now must resist the coaling tower temptation!!!

That is what I do not understand as well! Must have it collected, so how did Bachmann get it to everyone? Personal hand deliveries to all the shops? I think not! As long as the shop concerned is packing them properly there should be no problem.

• RMweb Gold

That is what I do not understand as well! Must have it collected, so how did Bachmann get it to everyone? Personal hand deliveries to all the shops? I think not! As long as the shop concerned is packing them properly there should be no problem.

I picked up my coaling tower from Bob at Alton yesterday and am very impressed. I had also ordered the four road engine shed but when we opened the box we found it to be broken so I will have to wait for the next batch. I think both models are really good value for money but I wouldn't recommend buying either without checking for damage. Given the comment from Gareth earlier I think there is a problem with the transportation of these large and quite heavy resin models. Bob advised me to avoid the potholes on the way home, I did and managed to get mine home in one piece!

Godfrey

Guest TomTank

After reading the recent comments regarding both the sheds and coaling tower, I have decided to buy in shop rather than my usual way of mail order (I live a good 30miles from closest shop so mail order seems best usually)

Out of interest what shops in the North East have them in stock so far.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

What are the track centre spacings for the 4 road shed?

Please.

Don't know if this helps you work it out, but according to Kernows website the dimensions for the shed are 304 x 100 x 404mm.

Hope that helps.

Garry