Scenecraft Coaling Tower

MDM Ltd

Shame they aren't doing one in N... I'd probably have their hand off, as I'm about to start the engine sheds on my layout...

They probably will, but if not you can always make one - I'm making one out of cardboard. See my blog; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/94/entry-4225-progress-on-the-coaling-tower/

G.

• RMweb Gold

Took the plunge and ordered the shed from Kernow on Monday, reassured by their assertion that they know how to pack delicate items. Arrived today packed in a stout outer box around an equally stout Bachmann transit box. Within that the shed is in the Bachmannn display box and within that it is in thick polystyrene.

Happy to say that the shed is complete and undamaged. Based on the way that this is packaged I'd confidently order this or similar again online.

Guest TomTank

Afternoon chaps.

Two great thing happened today, one was I drove on the A1M for the first time (passed my driving test yesterday) and secondly

picked up my Bachmann Coaling Tower from Mike at 'Darlington Railway Modelling'

Big thanks to Mike for holding on to it for me, and checking before hand it was intact.

Here are the initial photos, I have yet to construct the lifting gear at the back, but when I have, I'll post some more.

It is rather epic, much bigger than by superquick card one, quite heavy, lovely detailing (I will be weathering her though)

The only downside regarding my layout, is i don't have track for the extra 2 coaling outlets, oh well....we can always say they are disused!

Superb model!

Coaling1.jpg

Coaling2.jpg

Coaling3.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, I'll get some more as I said when I've added the detailing bits :)

She certainly is going to be a main attraction on the layout :D

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon chaps.

Two great thing happened today, one was I drove on the A1M for the first time (passed my driving test yesterday) and secondly

picked up my Bachmann Coaling Tower from Mike at 'Darlington Railway Modelling'

Big thanks to Mike for holding on to it for me, and checking before hand it was intact.

Here are the initial photos, I have yet to construct the lifting gear at the back, but when I have, I'll post some more.

It is rather epic, much bigger than by superquick card one, quite heavy, lovely detailing (I will be weathering her though)

The only downside regarding my layout, is i don't have track for the extra 2 coaling outlets, oh well....we can always say they are disused!

Superb model!

Coaling1.jpg

Coaling2.jpg

Coaling3.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, I'll get some more as I said when I've added the detailing bits smile.gif

She certainly is going to be a main attraction on the layout biggrin.gif

thanks for the pics. I/we look forward to seeing morebiggrin.gif

I cam understand Bachmann's (and others) concerns, but it will have been delivered by a courier to the shop/dealer/stockist etc. As long as it is as well packaged as the beautiful engine shed I received from a certain Cornish dealer this morning then it will be ok. It was like opening a russian doll getting at it! Box in box in box with plenty of packing materials! Unfortunately mine has a manufacturing defect done at the factory (one of the 6 internal supports is missing), but what a magnificent model it is. I am really impressed with this!

Now must resist the coaling tower temptation!!!

Put an order in to Bachmann service centre and they will be able to get a support leg you could glue into place. May need to send a picture so they get the right part.

Put an order in to Bachmann service centre and they will be able to get a support leg you could glue into place. May need to send a picture so they get the right part.

When I informed Kernow of the missing leg, they immediately offered to replace the whole shed, but it would be expensive for them to refund the postage and there is the risk the replacement shed might get broken in the post, so they spoke with the Bachmann rep and he is going to be sending me a replacement leg. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Guest TomTank

Ok chaps, I have now sorted out the lifting hear, which requires some assembly, the hardest bit was adding the string on the lifting gear, a little fiddly,

here the pics anyhow, next move.....the layout :D

270720102135.jpg

270720102136.jpg

270720102137.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Ok chaps, I have now sorted out the lifting hear, which requires some assembly, the hardest bit was adding the string on the lifting gear, a little fiddly,

here the pics anyhow, next move.....the layout biggrin.gif

Thanks for that. A very high level of detail in the lifting section.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i received mine in post today a superb model but was damaged in a few places nothing a bit of super glue hasnt put right. The resin that its made from broke cleanly so pretty invisable repairs,however i would take Bachmanns advise to collect it yourself and open it at the retailer to check its undamaged,mine came in its unopened Bachmann outer cardboard box when i removed the decorated box from inside this there was some damage to this packaging so i was expecting the worst! which could have been alot worse. The outer cardboard box had no damage whatsoever so it has obviously been packed damaged. Please be aware of this. Regards Ste

• 1 month later...

Morning everyone,

I purchased mine for £74 through Ebay, I thought I'd take a chance...

It arived this morning, from a model shop in Essex, completely undamaged, and with free second-class postage :).

I'm very impressed with this model, to me the Hornby version is very inferior.

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

Guest Max Stafford

The sheer size of this beastie is staggering. It's a very impressive model indeed! It has in fact sent my layout plans off in quite a different direction from what I initially envisioned.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

The sheer size of this beastie is staggering. It's a very impressive model indeed! It has in fact sent my layout plans off in quite a different direction from what I initially envisioned.

Dave.

Hmmmm......

Wonder who will be first to add a motorised coal wagon hoist:blink:

now that would take the biscuit!

As for the model...

Blimey - It's big!

Thanks

Yes we got one sent to the shop last Monday but it is in about four sections, Bachmann Rep. coming to collect it next Tuseday. It dose look nice.

Peter

Hi all

Have just received the replacement coaling stage for the above one sent back via the rep. and believe it or not this is broken in two paces. The main packaging has been improved around the Bachmann box but it appears to have been broken on packing. The customer has taken it with him and will repair it him self. Says that if this sent back he may never get one.

Peter

Guest Max Stafford

I notice that one of the window frames in the topmost section of nine is missing. That said, the way it's painted it looks like a blanked off space so I think I'll just leave it be. Otherwise, superlatives as previously noted!

Dave.

Hi

Before I get a called a lazy git I have not opened mine as I have so many projects on the go it would just distract me. Added to that my wife is slightly annoyed that 3 rooms now have got trains in them.

My question do you think it is possible to motorize it and have it lift a wagon, empty it and lower it again? Looking at some of the pictures posted I believe so and I could hollow out one or two of the legs for the coal to fall through.

Your thoughts on that guys.

Cheers

Martin