Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

• RMweb Gold

Easy to check if it is diecast, as it will feel cold relative to plastic parts (apply upper lip).

Or a light tap with a small drift punch.

I refuse to lick, suck, kiss or hit my models with a hammer - Mrs P already thinks I am bonkers - there's enough 'advice' here to get me sectioned! :)

• RMweb Premium

A capacitor for suppression purposes. Bachmann started with this larger capacitor in the tender some time ago, first model I saw it on was the J11 0-6-0.

I'm just fitting a decoder into one of these.

The capacitor in the tender isn't for suppression purposes. It's an electrolytic type. Suppression capacitors are usually non-polarised.

It is connected to V+ and ground pins of the 21 pin connector, so it's actually acting as a stayalive - albeit a very small value.

Cheers,

Mick

I see the backward facing return crank on the fireman's side, a major error of convenience, appears to be accepted nowadays.  

That's just put me off buying it... An otherwise superb model spoiled by the production of one driving wheel casting instead of two. May be an easy job to rectify, but I won't justify spending upwards of £150 to have to do it. Valvegear geometry is every bit as important as the rest of the fine detail. Hornby don't seem to have a problem getting it right.

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

That's just put me off buying it... An otherwise superb model spoiled by the production of one driving wheel casting instead of two. May be an easy job to rectify, but I won't justify spending upwards of £150 to have to do it. Valvegear geometry is every bit as important as the rest of the fine detail. Hornby don't seem to have a problem getting it right.

Richard.

WTF

Guest Midland Mole

Richard.

Where are they more than £150? Ours are £135.95, and that is roughly the price of them everywhere.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Naturally your choice of course.We hear what you say.Caution however in citing Hornby as a paragon of virtue in terms of valve gear.Prototypcally fine and accurate it may be.Fragile and prone to more than the odd failure due to its fragility or mistakes in assembly it most certainly is.

Ian.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Naturally your choice of course...

Quite so; and I would observe that there's no end of 'hot buttons' that trigger the 'no purchase' choices of individual potential customers. Mine kicks in when there is some aspect of appearance that I just cannot see a way to rectify, usually in what is otherwise a satisfactory or better model. When the general standard is good, an error that might sneak under the radar on a poorer model is a real irritant.

Yep, and yesterday they had the decency to let me know mine was on it's way - then the comparison between it, and my 3 kit built versions will happen. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

Quite so; and I would observe that there's no end of 'hot buttons' that trigger the 'no purchase' choices of individual potential customers. Mine kicks in when there is some aspect of appearance that I just cannot see a way to rectify, usually in what is otherwise a satisfactory or better model. When the general standard is good, an error that might sneak under the radar on a poorer model is a real irritant.

Yes indeed, and it's always a relief that the money can happily stay in the bank!

Had I still been modelling in 4mm/00, a Stanier Mogul would have landed in my sticky mit some days ago and the return crank would have been attended to by now. I will miss out on the LNWR Coal Tank and Dean Goods as well, but that is the problem with inexpensive 4mm RTR; Impulse buying is so easy and I suspect many of us end up with far too many of the wrong kind of locos...  :)

• Like 2