A layout for a little lad

Tom J

• RMweb Gold

Tom

Glad to hear that the room is getting there. Lets hope that the visits by the persons in blue can leave the two of you to get on with some model time.

Hopefully the two of you will be at the GCR model railway weekend  as I am sure we can let him have another go with the wi-throttles!

Ian

Hi Ian, thank you for the encouragement and your kind offer! This week we were woken at 0430 by thumping on the door and flashlights through the windows. You kinda get used to it  :scared:  I already have one or two ideas for incorporating some of our struggles into cameos on the layout...

Really sadly, Thomas Ivor won't be with us that weekend, and based on what happened when I offered to take him to Warley under similar circumstances, I don't expect he will be there. A great shame, because he has really got the bug for exhibiting and did a brilliant job at Spalding. He was very proud that the only derailment we suffered was when Daddy was driving!

No, not would be burglars, the Rozzers! Not for the first time, despite my never having been in trouble with them, they came to tell me not to break the law (yes, that is what I said) and took great delight in doing so at an unearthly hour. By lunchtime I had an apology from the Police, again, because I had done nothing wrong, as usual. Unfortunately, the disturbance, aggravation and threats of what would have been wrongful arrest did as my accuser intended and caused me to miss the little guy's Christmas play at school. These things are an occupational hazard for fathers in my position.

In better news, not only is the plastering now done but the chippy has been this afternoon and is intent on installing the new window sashes he made, in the morning. I had better get on with the gloss for the outer faces, as they are on the second floor and face out over our boundary - they will be a little trickier to paint after tonight!

post-9664-0-76834200-1387212522.jpg

Keep your chin up Tom it will sort itself out in the end. I have a good friend who was going through exactly the same situation. In the end the other party will give up the silly games. Keep up the good modelling that your little lad so enjoys. Just like my lad who's 13 now they won't grow out of it.

Regards

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the window was fitted just in time, the plasterer came on Monday morning to make good some damage which resulted from this, and late last night my assistant and I got the curtain pole fitted.

post-9664-0-85608600-1388013372.jpg

This morning, Thomas Ivor woke in his own room for the first time since (I think) May, to find that a delivery had indeed been made. It would seem that Father Christmas found it expedient to come down the bathroom chimney, and having made himself a cheese butty, failed to eat it all, but that's another story.

post-9664-0-74594700-1388013382.jpg

The benevolent bearded one had done a remarkable job of finding not only a Yellow '37', but a now hard-to-come-by Mk1 POS in original livery; both have been pressed straight into service.

post-9664-0-32712900-1388013394.jpgpost-9664-0-05883400-1388013401.jpg

Full steam ahead now to get the room finished after Thomas Ivor leaves us on 1 January, recognising that with another baby due in April we have to get at least an oval of track laid and working before then, before I get diverted away, and, er, tired!

A Happy Christmas to you all.

Guest 40-something

Hi Tom

Read your thread through from the start and you're made of strong stuff!  Its great to see the bond between you and your son, despite another persons plan to wreck it!

Keep your chin up, you know all the hassle will be worth it.

Thank you everyone for your various kind responses. In the new year I will be very grateful for peoples' opinions on the plans for the layout itself - I am going to try and get a 1/4 scale mock-up of the present plan landscaped roughly with Thomas Ivor whilst he's here. I have one or two concerns - not least we have a main line parallel to the baseboard edge and I am not sure about the sight lines and quite where the back scene should run.

Ian, you can collect your commission for our switch over to digital! The '37' was fitted with a chip almost as a matter of routine! The next phase will, I think, be to gradually chip his other locos as he has forgotten some of them, having not had them out since we got the SPROG working!

Must dash for now - we have passengers to attend to and Lego to build...  :senile:

We took the opportunity this afternoon to brace the piece of plywood that our 1/4 scale track plan has been pasted to, which allowed us to practice some basic baseboard building skills; I shall let the pictures speak for themselves!

post-9664-0-16787200-1388096358.jpg

post-9664-0-62312900-1388096358.jpg

post-9664-0-21117800-1388096359.jpg

post-9664-0-86358500-1388096359.jpg

post-9664-0-34617800-1388096361.jpg

post-9664-0-18920600-1388096362.jpg

post-9664-0-83166600-1388096362.jpg

post-9664-0-25898900-1388096363.jpg

Short of time for a proper update - we are are due to be the engine shed tomorrow and Thomas Ivor returns, reluctantly, to Devon on Wednesday - but this picture of work on the 'model of a model' this afternoon had to be shared.

post-9664-0-07456900-1388357628_thumb.jpg

I think he was worried that I might be his Step-Mum checking on the state of the kitchen!

We have made a platform and buildings from DAS, which hardened nicely alongside the Sunday roast...

We are going to have to buy him a smaller hammer. His aim is actually fine, but the handle being too long means most of the effort is absorbed as the back end of the handle fouls his elbow/thigh/ears...

Maplins do compact hammers. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-10oz-stubby-hammer-n68ct

They call them Stubby hammers, but that name has a different connotation round this forum :)

I've been following with interest, my sons only a couple of years older than Thomas.

You have done well to rise above what the other side have done (I'm not sure I could).

Your obviously providing a fun and safe environment for your son, and he will never forget that and I'm sure he'll look back in years to come with happy memories.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to you all.

Oh, you better get cracking on with track laying before your next little bundle of joy comes along because who knows when you'll next get a chance.

Mark

Archived