A layout for a little lad

Tom J

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the little chap hasn't had an exhibition outing since Northampton, but he has had a little something from my recent outings to Derby and Aylesbury. If anyone recognises him at Exeter next weekend, do say hello from me! He has a three-week gap to bridge this time round.

Nevertheless, Aylesbury gave a very helpful opportunity to sense-check my baseboard plan with 'IGRL' of this parish, to whom we are very grateful for his help and kind counsel. Thomas Ivor and I spoke last night on FaceTime and he has very sweetly (and earnestly) proposed that if we ever get an exhibition invite, he would like to offer guest operator opportunities to all the people who have let him operate theirs!

The great big pile of styrofoam at the foot of our stairs is on borrowed time with SWMBO, so I really have got to get weaving. Hopefully, I can get myself accredited on the table saw at the men's shed soon, so I can rip the plywood for the sides of the boards. Pattern maker's dowels have arrived, so now into its fifth page, the thread will finally have something to show for itself!

Ok, here we go... It may only be CAD, but I have something to show!

I haven't used Sketchup for a fair while and to be honest the poor stability of it on the Mac has something to do with that. I have lost a lot of time, and data, doing this little lot.

First off, the track plan laid out to work out the baseboard joins:

post-9664-0-68040500-1401324331_thumb.png

This gives me boards of 1250 (x2) and 1100 wide, 927 deep (3 widths of 9mm ply and a width and a half of styrofoam, to reduce cutting!) - I am fairly sure I can cut to 1200 and 1100 as the sizes, with the track close to the ends of the boards, which will give some space to locate the dowels when the boards are being split/assembled at home.

I lost the lot (you get used to autosave on the Mac!) so have just drawn a single board now. The idea is that 50mm of foam will be adequate for the relatively simple topography at play, and I have been told to go for 100mm as the basic thickness for best results. Track floated over the top on more ply, and the fiddle yards have one less sheet of foam but a full skin of ply for simplicity of assembly.

The only thing missing is some handles for carrying them and feeding cables through - I did draw some but they, too, got lost!

post-9664-0-25638400-1401324467_thumb.png

post-9664-0-13467800-1401324465_thumb.png

post-9664-0-39552200-1401324469_thumb.png

The front edge of the board can have up to 50mm removed when the contours are cut from it.

My only real hesitation surrounds access holes for point motors (I was thinking of tortoises or cobalts but we can't afford to fit them all straight away). I have visions of one failing and the layout having to be hacked to bits to get at it!

Every time I look at the track plan I think to myself that I will try to introduce some of the gentle inward curvature of the real location once I get the track in my hands. Soon enough we shall find out!

Whilst I am at it with the CAD, I ought to have a think about what it will stand on, both at home and 'on the road', though the latter is clearly some way off!

Very grateful for any feedback.

Here we go - some more CAD-ups!

Left hand end of the layout (facing) shows the stands, after the fashion of those used on 'County Gate', and at the right hand end I am starting to come up with a base structure for the bedroom which will allow the top half of the stands to be fitted, with space for rolling stock, modelling materials, toys, a table and chair to fit underneath.

It feels like this is taking forever without a single piece of material being cut, but I am managing to design out the sorts of things I would normally bodge my way round once under way, so I reckon it's worth it. That and we are waiting for the joiner to come and finish the repairs to the bedroom floor!

post-9664-0-88851700-1401832619_thumb.png

post-9664-0-13311700-1401832622_thumb.png

post-9664-0-05414800-1401832625_thumb.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone - I knew I had been gone a while - didn't realise quite how long!

As those familiar with the thread will know, this story is a complicated one. Very complicated. Progress has ground to a halt in recent months as Thomas Ivor has been struggling, and we have been engulfed in bureaucracy and paperwork, culminating in an approach from Social Services on Christmas Eve. All is far from well, and my wife and I are pretty powerless to do anything more than we already are doing for the lad.

The layout hasn't made it into the flesh, despite best efforts and having got within about an hour of ordering the timber last month! I fear I may need to put out an appeal for practical help getting things moving with the layout once his bedroom is ready, because the workload with two other very small children is getting away from me.

Anyway, that is not to say that life is completely joyless - we press on and Thomas Ivor has re-learned to ride his bike and worked very hard on a little project for 5305LA over the last few weeks. It is a few days late, but I figure some of his friends on here might be pleased to see this, if they haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3cydMZVmQ&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z12sy1kwuka3txy1l23wgdsb1szjuxqy104

Thank you as ever for the kindness and good wishes we have received, and a Happy New Year to all our friends on RMWeb.  :-)

Thanks as ever for the kind comments.

Off to Devon today to collect Thomas Ivor. We will be at York tomorrow to see the 'A4s'.

Meantime, stock was getting dangerously low in a shop in Liverpool, so I have bought and put away these whilst he saves up for them:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hoping to make DEMU on the way home, but his Mum is determined to put the kibosh on that. Bit of an occupational hazard for Dads like me. We shall see what happens!

Meantime, I have dug out a picture of my own first visit to the NRM for him! (Daddy on the right!)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Class! - I have the same image! - as sure many do with their lads!

Good to see you are enjoying it all together - make the most before he becomes part of the XBOX generation.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

Thanks as ever for your kind and encouraging comments. They do make a difference!

Those of you who have been following this thread will know that progress with the little guy's bedroom has been an intrinsic part of this project so far and has become far more involved than we imagined.

A difficult Christmas was followed by an uninvited visitor from the local authority. They went away quite satisfied but we decided it was time to throw everything at finishing the room as soon as possible.

I am quite stunned, then, to be able present this view of the former bomb site!

post-9664-0-93965500-1424083959_thumb.jpg

I have two doors left to hang (and one to glaze), a loft hatch to finish and some architrave to fit round the windor frame, but that's it. Ruth (2) helped build the furniture:

post-9664-0-72358900-1424084073_thumb.jpg

Meantime Rhoda (10 months) has turned to the dark side:

post-9664-0-83416700-1424084157_thumb.jpg

Baseboard time. Seriously, it really is. We are going to build some boards now!

Hi Tom & Thomas,

Greetings from 81E! I have only just caught up with that video and it is AMAZING! Well done to Thomas Ivor in his starring role! I hope we see you both again at Didcot again this year.

All the best,

Castle

Thanks - and congratulations on the book publication! We will have to sort out a signed copy ;-)

We are unlikely to make the tour this year because we expect we will be off cycling somewhere, but we would certainly like to make a return visit to 81E this year. We also have to find somewhere in his room to display his piece of piston ring now!

Mrs J has drawn a doodle of the kind of idea we have for under-layout storage. We need to get on and commission this now and keep up the momentum!

post-9664-0-62053000-1424167678_thumb.jpg

The centre section includes a slide-out table/shelf for when the layout is being operated, with the depth of the shelves in one side of the cupboard reduced to accommodate a stool.

My remaining concern is how we will access the underside of the layout. We might have to accept that to do so, the boards need to be removed...

Hi Tom

My layout has storage under it albeit not built in like your plans. What I have done is made a strong frame and then just sit the boards on top (The boards have there own 2"x1" frame). That way I can take them off or just lift them up 90degrees to get to the bottom. 

Good luck with the build.

Hello everyone - I knew I had been gone a while - didn't realise quite how long!

As those familiar with the thread will know, this story is a complicated one. Very complicated. Progress has ground to a halt in recent months as Thomas Ivor has been struggling, and we have been engulfed in bureaucracy and paperwork, culminating in an approach from Social Services on Christmas Eve. All is far from well, and my wife and I are pretty powerless to do anything more than we already are doing for the lad.

The layout hasn't made it into the flesh, despite best efforts and having got within about an hour of ordering the timber last month! I fear I may need to put out an appeal for practical help getting things moving with the layout once his bedroom is ready, because the workload with two other very small children is getting away from me.

Anyway, that is not to say that life is completely joyless - we press on and Thomas Ivor has re-learned to ride his bike and worked very hard on a little project for 5305LA over the last few weeks. It is a few days late, but I figure some of his friends on here might be pleased to see this, if they haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3cydMZVmQ&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z12sy1kwuka3txy1l23wgdsb1szjuxqy104

Thank you as ever for the kindness and good wishes we have received, and a Happy New Year to all our friends on RMWeb.  :-)

Tom I'd just like to add that your little lads lucky to have a dad like yourself and I hope you resolve all the issues you're up against. Keep your chin up and continue being a great role model for a well brought up little boy.

Simon

Tom I did something similar when my 2 lads [now 39 & 40] were 6 & 7. I fitted a hinge along the rear edge to the wall but spacing it far enough away for any surface mounted stuff to not crush when lifted.  Also you need to have a stop drop in case it should fall back down.  To be fair it wasn't a full scenery layout more a painted green surface and all surface mounted stuff made removable into one of the cupboards.

I moved it on a bit further when we decided we wanted more space in the room and stored it up against the wall and painted the underside the same as the wall and painted a rainbow arc over it.  Then when it was needed it dropped down from the wall and slid up 2 retaining rods 1 at each end of the boards and 2 legs dropped down to support the front. The back had a piece of wood mounted on the wall at leg height which the board rested on. 

It's more difficult to explain then to make but it was more just track on a painted surface which made it easier to hide away.

Good luck with Team TJ's project

PS I still have that board in the garage after 3 house moves and all still intact but nothing has run on it for nearly 30 years, think it was TT..

Test piece of baseboard built yesterday - I was about to go out and buy a point motor so I could lay a test piece of track, and then Ruth was sick. This morning, I got up to try the same plan, and the same thing happened!

post-9664-0-07683000-1424254150_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether it was due to the stuff being right at the end of its date,but the previous test I did with the adhesive supplied with the foam by Sheffield Insulation didn't result in a permanent bond. I have tried it again today and made sure to give it plenty of chance to evaporate before putting the surfaces together.

post-9664-0-59202500-1424268494_thumb.jpg

I will then try keying the foam and using Gripfill to attach some strips of ply to lay some track onto. Not sure what to do on the point motor front - every time I look, I am tempted to try Cobalts, and then put off by reports of others, and then encouraged to try an improved version which nobody seems to have! In any event, I have to figure out how whatever I use, will mount and be accessed subsequently...

Archived