Newport Maesglas - N Gauge Wagon Repair Depot (Formerly Stuarts Lane)

Steadfast

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after a couple of months of inactivity, the arrival of a Farish Desiro (thanks Hattons!) prompted me to get the layout down again.

I've been soldering up masts for the overhead wires, I'll try for a proper update with pictures later on as I'm on the iPad at the moment.

Discussion with a few people has centred on the name, and I've been thinking whether I should change or not. My thought is at an exhibition would people expect Stuarts Lane to be populated by 73s, CEPs etc, though I wanted to keep the name originally as a link back to the layouts creator and because I usually struggle coming up with names. Anyway, enough waffle, here's what I'm currently thinking. Rename the layout to something that screams out midlands, and the road at the side of the layout will gain a street sign with the road name...Stuarts Lane.

I'm coming up with names based on two parts of Birmingham area railway network put together, Bescot, Saltley, Walsall etc

It isn't based own any real part of Birmingham so I want it to be suitably generic, at the moment either Besley or Besley Heath are my favourites. Anyone got any other ideas? Most of what I came up with sounded like two places merged together, whereas Besley doesn't. Anyway, that's all for now, I'll try for some pictures later on

jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo

I actually think naming a layout is a fairly important part of the process.  It's something you're going to have to use and live with for a while, and if you choose to exhibit the layout, or it's featured in magazines, you're going to end up seeing the name written down too, which can be a little disoncerting, while at the same time exciting.

Sticking two names together is one way to go (though I can see why Saltscot wouldn't work in this context!!) another is to look at prominent geographical features - boroughs, rivers or streets - that sound "right." For me, and I acknowledge there may be something illusory about it, there is something about real names that is intangibly more authentic than made-up ones. 

With our club layout - based on, but not a falthful replica of, Wolverhampton Steel Terminal - I originally suggested we call it Dibben Junction; after our group leader Nick Dibben, as his name sounded suitably Midlands-y to me.  But apparently Nick's brother Peter had already named a previous layout that so we decided to rethink.  I looked at the map and the road nearby "Horseley Fields" jumped out as me as having the right feel while offering a scenic suggestion into the bargain!

Looking at a google map of Bescot and Saltley I can see that there are some good sounding streets around there - Walstead Road West, West Bromwich Road, Axletree Way, Duddeston Mill Road, Aston Church Road - and there are some nice area names nearby too:  Bordesley Green, Shaw Hill, Adderley Park, Palfrey Park.

Good luck with  naming (or renaming!) your layout.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Ben.

I'll have a look at local maps and see if anything jumps out at me. I had avoided real places due to people's tendency to go (in that voice!!) "I think you'll find that isn't an accurate representation of XYZ" but I'll have to give it a go, there's no reason why a non railway area couldn't be used for inspiration. It does sound more realistic than some blended together names for sure!

As for seeing the name written down - definitely! The first time I saw Embankment Road written in a magazine was weird! At least that one was easy to name, being based on a real location.

Thanks again,

jo

I'd recommend not using a three word name. I've made that mistake twice now with 'Hedges Hill Cutting' and 'Stoney Lane Depot'. It seems like people are incapable of remembering or saying three consecutive words and consequently they've often referred to as 'Hedges Cuttings' or 'Hedges Hill' or 'Stoney Depot' which can be a little annoying or disconcerting (especially in magazines or programmes).   

G.

• Like 1

Haha I like that Rob, very clever. On Jasper Avenue by any chance?

I know what you mean with three word names Grahame, from my experience when the club bought Hedges Hill Cutting from you, Hedges Hill is the bit that stuck in people's minds.

jo

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So I've been Google Mapping, looking at streets and districts in and around Birmingham. The list of names I've decided on for inspiration is are:

Little Hall Road

Duddeston Mill Road

Adderley Park

Bromford

Walmley

Castle Vale

Stechford

Garrett's Green

They aren't necessarily near to the railway, but provide names I like and think sound suitably West Midlands. So, from the list and a bit of creativity my choices come down to:

Adderley Park

Walmley Heath

Duddeston Mill or Duddeston Park

The more I think about it, the more my mind changes on what I prefer, but does anyone have any thoughts? I'm hoping time to mull it over will help me choose a name

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

There are some good names in there, and all have that "ring" of authenticity about them.

If you haven't already, before making your final decision you might want to google each of them in isolation just to check there isn't a particular historical or non-railway issue that may inform your decision.

Also, you have two parks, a heath and a mill: might one of those be a better bet scenically?

Then, really, it just comes down to your choice!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Ben, thanks for your input with the names, as a result I've googled my various choices. All seem to have railway links, mainly semi urban stations! I'd hate for someone to expect to see a perfect replica of their local stop, along the lines of "I think you'll find that isn't accurate..." so after spending most of yesterday evening on Google Maps, to end up with is conclusion I've had another look today.

So, back to street names. There's a road near Bescot called Walstead Rd. So taking that along with some inspiration from Washwood Heath, I think I have settled on Walstead Heath.

Sorted then. Until I think someone else up when it's all quiet after the shop shuts tomorrow night... ;-)

i thought this was 00 at first.  looks good.  i'll keep an eye on OHLE progress.

where did you get the colour light signals?

Thanks for the comment, unfortunately I have no idea what make the signal is as it was already fitted when the layout was purchased. Sorry I can't be of more help

jo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Graham. I've not had chance to progress much on the layout recently, but I have been playing in Photoshop.

post-6899-0-83772500-1384001159.jpg

All the signage around the depot I plan to make interchangeable so I can adjust eras and backstories depending what stuff I want to run

jo

• Like 2

Nice signs, but (I have Arpley depot near me) The old EWS sign was like this

EWS logo... TEXT HERE

So they had the logo on the left hand side with the do not enter blah blah blah at the right... Hope that helped

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comment. In truth there is so much variation site to site of how these signs are laid out. Corporate typefaces didn't even always apply, just look at Rugby, Kingmoor and the No Fly Tipping sign at Bow! http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ews%20depot%20sign&s=rec the pictures should all be at the bottom of the results of the search on the link.

I've taken a bit of inspiration from both St Blazey and Margam as well as other places with drawing up mine and they're by no means finished, I'm always keeping my eyes open for inspiration.

post-6899-0-89530700-1384004888_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-78030700-1384004909_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a while but here's a wee update.

Working as I do in retail, the last few months have seen little time, or energy, for modelling, with both a small event at the end of December and me going on a multitude of courses as my sign off draws near. To say the last few months have flown by, is an understatement! Slowly but surely the small shed building I built several years ago has had a lick of paint, as well as an inner skin of brick plastic to strengthen the design. The lower edge is still warped but will be straightened when it's fixed down properly. It will remain removable, parallel runners on the 'concrete' base will spread the sides and hold them out straight. To highlight how long this building's been sat in the cupboard, it was inspired by the build on Pugsley's challenge layout, 'Chittle' and attempted to use similar prototypical structural techniques...but failed miserably on that front!

post-6899-0-77915700-1392414815_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-42813300-1392414818_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-28674300-1392414823_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the quality of the pictures, they were taken on my phone just now. I'll get some proper ones with the camera when there's some more to show.

The building was coated in Halfords primer, then the bricks painted with dark rust. Various rusts and dark browns were dry brushed on to vary the shade. Concrete colour was then painted on and removed, to give the mortar effect, a process that seemed to take far longer than it should! I reckon nearly 10 hours over a few days due to consistently not liking it and taking it off to try again. Eventually I got it to a standard I like. The interior used the same idea, but white with a dark grey mortar. Various shades of blue were applied to the upper sides, and the roof painted flint grey. All paints are Railmatch enamel. The downpipes are 0.5mm plastic rod. Various washes using the new Humbrol washes were applied, after watching the 'how to' video on Youtube. Though 4 quid a bottle sounds expensive, they flow well, are really convenient and certainly inspired me to try something a bit different. Definitely recommended. The finishing touch is the open door, simply some plastic sheet painted grey with a handle made from 0.2mm brass wire.

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 4