Newport Maesglas - N Gauge Wagon Repair Depot (Formerly Stuarts Lane)

Steadfast

Such a cracking layout! How do you find operating an N gauge shunting layout? Do I spy Dapol easi shunts on most of the stock? I ask having spent a frustrating night fettling my own stock!

Hi Steve,

Yep they're Dapol Easishunts, I figured one pack to have a play with wasn't too much of an extravagance! I'm not using magnets, I use straight pointed dental probes to uncouple, put in between the heads, twist and they uncouple. Saves having to do the shuffle over a magnet and relying on delayed uncoupling. The only issues I had was they seem to have a tendancy to shed springs and low NEM pockets caused the tails to get caught in points. A dab of superglue on one end of the spring should fix that and the low NEM's is down to the stock not the coupler.

Operationally the layout was fine. I had a minor panic on the Friday night when nothing on the top level worked. With the layout being unused for such a long time, a really heavy track clean got everything running ok. A couple of tweeks to point blades on the Saturday morning to ensure better electrical contact and all was well. The 08 ran up and down faultlessly for the duration of the show. Certain wagons didn't like being together and it was a learning curve but the main thing was don't couple the Dapol JNA to anything with bogie mounted couplings. The worst was the BDA, but how often do you see a JNA and a BDA together, eh? Long term the JNAs won't visit the depot, it being the preserve of EWS/DB stock, once I've got a bit more of the fleet finished.

Jo

• Like 1

Interesting to hear your thoughts! I much prefer the easi shunts as an slight improvement in looks but more practical than Rapidos. I've found my short rake of jnas can be troublesome, but then I have the dummy knuckles within the rake. Interesting point about the bogie mounted coupling boxes - of I put my Farish MOA within the rake it pulls the trailing wagon off the rails. I'm using kato track as a test track so I'm hoping some proper track laying will ease my problems a bit.

You've really made this layout your own and it's a cracking scene. Very inspirational! Do keep us updated as you work through your stock box - I always find something useful in your posts.

Edited by jonas

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the words Steve, apologies I missed your post at the time. I've not made much progress, but several axleboxes are now yellow or maroon and and various bits are picked out in white. Once they're a bit more progressed I'll grab some pictures.

I'm well impressed with the pictures Grahame took at the NGS AGM and are featured in this month's journal that arrived today. They show the layout in a great light and it's wonderful to hear the layout described as 'first rate presentation', very kind words indeed!

Jo

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Since the last post there's been zero progress on the layout. It's due to be appearing at the Calne show in January and I had a few little mods and updates I wanted to make before then, some cosmetic and some operational. Realistically, I'm not sure how much will get worked on between now and then as we're not far off moving into our first house. I expect that to fill most of my time! I am aiming to get an extra 08 finished at the bare minimum by January, here's where I'm up to. It's an 08/9, a cut down example, which will be finished as 08993. The body is a 3D print, from Shapeways (by Rods_of_Revolution on here) which drops onto a Farish 08 underframe. There's plenty of room in the body for some lead so I reckon I can get the weight similar, if not heavier, than the Farish body. The end on picture highlights the different body profile. For marker lights, I'll rob them off the cheap BR green donor model I'm using, though the radiator filler will be wire as it's shorter than on a full height 08

post-6899-0-95155400-1533159239_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-81253600-1533159261_thumb.jpg

Please excuse the scruffy paint so far, it needs a bit of touching up before varnish and decals. I should also point out I removed the printed handles on the bodyside doors to help me clean up the 3D print ridges. They'll be replaced with wire. There's a lot of variation across the 08s so I'm not worried about not quite achieving a perfect match with Farish. Of course once matted and weathered, they shouldn't be a million miles apart

More when it happens

Jo

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Well, to start, I'll get the bad news out the way. There's still nowt to report by way of an update on the layout. Indeed, it's actually still at my parents' house. However, there is good news. Our spare room/ craft space/ chill room/ whatever else you want to call it, is nearing completion, which means the trainset can nearly come home! The legs, fascia and tea tray are all in the garage, ready and waiting to be brought inside when the layout arrives, hopefully soon, for pre Calne shakedown and mods! In the meantime, a couple of gratuitous shots of me "testing" my new extractor fan and making sure the new desk setup is usable. Initial thoughts...hell yeah! The desk even has a dirty and clean side, or his and hers, mood dependant. Not sure what it says, that I've got the mucky side and she has the clean half...

post-6899-0-99310700-1542918227_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-45625600-1542918326_thumb.jpg

More soon hopefully

Jo

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Not long to go until Calne now. Jack has come over a few times and we've relocated the control panel the back of the layout as well as done a bit of work checking the layout over since it's last outing and also working on rolling stock. A few of the things I'm working on at present are not in view as they're on the bench with wet paint t, but this gives an idea of the variety of stock. The RMC hopper is one in working on at the mo. post-6899-0-60411500-1547063504_thumb.jpg

The Colas hopper comes pre weathered by Bachmann, so I've taken the opportunity to add further weathering and detail painting to make it my own. It'll be dragged by 56105 on the lower level of the layout representing a Canton bound move.

post-6899-0-32598300-1547063598_thumb.jpg

I have this Dapol Tiphook steel wagon, but by the era I'm modelling the layout, these were out of use. Therefore I've detailed the end up, added a tail lamp and some patch painting to represent a stored wagon, dumped at the WRD waiting for its owner to decide its fate. Road collection beckons, I've heard...

post-6899-0-19317200-1547063567_thumb.jpg

I'll try to add some more updates pre Calne show, as more wagons roll off the bench and onto the layout

Jo

• Like 7

As Jo says, we've been getting the layout and stock up together for the Calne Show, although yesterday we did get distracted by lunch at the Avon Valley Railway along with a pleasant chat with some chaps pinch baring a VCA into the car park!

I've been working on weathering a Farish VGA and MBA:

post-146-0-02845800-1547065492_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-85906100-1547065508_thumb.jpg

I may have also invaded the layout with a few pieces of my 1980s Cornish rolling stock!

post-146-0-92692700-1547065599_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

• Like 4

Your 66 looks like it's just hit 88mph and arrived in the 80s with that speed blur!

It's nice to have some bonus wagons to run at Calne, means I can focus more on the ones I'll have done in time

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

Layout all ready for loading in the car Friday evening. There's a new building and some new rolling stock, though they'll have to remain a secret until Saturday as I didn't have chance to take any decent photos with the proper camera and a week of 12 hour days precludes me having the time to do so. See you at the weekend if you're coming

post-6899-0-26986700-1547410914_thumb.jpg

Jo

• Like 3

Set the layout up last night, all ready to go this morning once I've added the little loose scenic details. Time to head off, if you're coming to the show, do drop by and say hello!

I'll try to get some proper pictures with the SLR tomorrow

Jo

Set the layout up last night, all ready to go this morning once I've added the little loose scenic details. Time to head off, if you're coming to the show, do drop by and say hello!

I'll try to get some proper pictures with the SLR tomorrow

Jo

Jo

Hope the show goes well. Engineering works on the GW main line has deterred my from coming. Shame as this was a layout I wanted to see.

Nick

Thanks for all the likes and comments guys, shame about the travel issues Nick. Layout should be around for a while yet though!

Highlight of the day for me was this moment

post-6899-0-12323900-1547927008_thumb.jpg

Moral of the story, if you accidentally change the point under a wagon, don't change it back again otherwise the wagon will do a flip!

Yes it's been a bit of a long week, thanks to all for the feigned sympathy;-p yes, you know who you all are :-D

Jo

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

It's taken a few days due to work, but here's some proper pics off the camera from last weekend.

post-6899-0-64080200-1548448958_thumb.jpg

The 08 at some point will gain EWS branding and renumbering to become 08799 'Fred', along with better weathering. It's a nice runner, just needs customising!

post-6899-0-67821600-1548448970_thumb.jpg

All the stock on the layout are models of DB wagons, though they're not all EWS or DB coloured. The CEMEX IIA has been featured in my threads previously and is cut down from a Farish HHA, the JGA is a Farish one that's been weathered and patch painted as per the prototype. I've also removed the end ladders and handrails as per the prototype in recent years. Various layers of paints and weathering washes build up the effects, along with a pencil and ruler for the weld lines.

post-6899-0-83615300-1548448984_thumb.jpg

The BAA features stanchions produced on my Silhouette cutter to represent a type that I believe is only seen in South Wales, they're used on the Margam - Llanwern slab trips. Weathering is mostly Railmatch Sleeper Grime and Roof Dirt mixed, with more orangey tones on the deck and inner face of the ends.

post-6899-0-05399900-1548448997_thumb.jpg

My model of the building at Westbury depot - yes the real thing once flew a Jolly Roger! Signage on both this and the shed are magnetic, so can be back dated or changed to another operator at my whim.

post-6899-0-39104200-1548449019_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-01389700-1548449052_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-81711800-1548449082_thumb.jpg

A few overviews of the wagon fleet.

post-6899-0-41577900-1548449036_thumb.jpg

The Tiphook steel carriers were out of use by the period I've modelled, so this one has been detailed up, further weathered and dumped as an 'extended stop block' at the front of the layout, Just needs a few weeds around the wheels!

post-6899-0-56746600-1548449065_thumb.jpg

The truck has been featured on my road vehicles thread before, it's an Oxford Diecast that's been detailed, repainted and custom decals added.

post-6899-0-64622700-1548449102_thumb.jpg

60011 trundling past on the main line with a steel train

post-6899-0-81655300-1548449113_thumb.jpg

Finally, a general overview of the whole layout.

Jo

• Like 11

How do you find the accuracy of the Silhouette cutter? I've got a project in mind that would be easier with one but I've read mixed reviews about its suitability for N Gauge.

I've found it great for doing all sorts in N scale.

So long as you're using a sharp blade with the speed and cut depth set correctly, you'll find it perfect for creating N scale buildings, some examples of which you can see in my Pontsmill Thread.

As for rolling stock, check out this master piece of a ballast cleaner Jo has been building using parts he designed and cutout with the cameo: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43870-jos-n-gauge-wagon-works-scratch-built-plasser-rm95rt-ballast-cleaner/page-3

Hi Steven,

The silhouette seems to be accurate enough for N. Some of it is down to careful design too, like scoring an X across any windows so they pop in and snap out with no effort. This leaves a cleaner finish. On thicker plastic it won't cut right through, but is still a damn sight quicker and more accurate than me drawing by hand. As Jack kindly points out, my ballast cleaner is all designed then cut with the silhouette, and the only issues have been my oversights or miscalculations. Another tip, if you're doing a square or rectangle, do it as 4 separate lines, not a box, this way it won't accidentally round off a 90 degree corner. All the 4 lines to extend beyond the endges of the shape, this way an slight wobble at start of finish is off the shape and going vertically won't damage a horizontal edge. Any more questions please do fire away

Jo

• 8 months later...

Quick post to say if anyone is in the Bristol area 16/17 November, the layout will be at Thornbury exhibition that weekend. I've got a bit of house keeping to do with the layout and a couple of things I'd like to add. I'll add some words and pictures if I get time to make the additions

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening everyone.

The layout and stock has been cleaned, tested and packed away. No new additions scenically as it's been a busy few months, but there may be a new wagon or two creeping in.

IMG_20191115_172614-2080x1560.jpg.06763f6633a41656ffc40e7cc44163fa.jpg

IMG_20191115_172729-2080x1560.jpg.c28b4618d894c2783130415d65f2a9a9.jpg

Not yet weathered buy I'm happy how my custom decals for this ex RMC JGA came out. Visitors to the DEMU stand at TINGS in September will have seen it on the stand with me.

Please do say hello if you're passings over the weekend

Jo

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Another cracking layout Jo. I like how you've managed to achieve a feeling of such depth in a small space with the clever use of backscene, buildings and greenery in the background. Always interesting to have multi levels in a layout as well. 

Off to check out your loco and wagon threads now :). Can't believe I've never stumbled over any of this until now. All very interesting and motivating. 

All the best,

Dave