Collett 4000 gallon tender

JohnBS

Hi all,

Attached are the (almost*) final renderings of the new Collett 4000 gallon tender printing which will be available from Shapeways shortly. As previously, the printing is in Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) and is to 2mm FS. An N-gauge version will be available in the near future. Check availability on http://www.shapeways.com/shops/SteamPrint

post-18048-0-42223500-1369517330_thumb.jpeg

The model is designed to hold a tender-mounted motor with a flexible drive to the locomotive.

post-18048-0-28178400-1369517351_thumb.jpeg

post-18048-0-20064000-1369517368_thumb.jpeg

The tender requires modified proprietary running gear or a kit- or scratch-built chassis and needs cleaning of support wax, priming and rubbing down before finishing.

post-18048-0-93777400-1369517384_thumb.jpeg

Some additional details are necessary, e.g. steps and brake and waterscoop handles

John

(almost*) Spot the missing detail (this will be remedied before the final printing).

I'm not sure how detailed you planned to make the loco end but there would be buffers here and you may need a hole for the drawbar? Presuming it is a flush rivetted tender does it still have a visible seam up the rear? I guess the handle on the brake standard is to be added later with wire?

That considered I'd go for a coupling hook, or at least a hole for one, but I like Rabs answer :good:

Of course, you are all right.

With regard to coal, it's much more economical to use the real stuff than FUD.

Cab end buffers would I think be a liability under most circumstances in restricting how closely the loco and tender can be coupled and I'm sure that everyone will have different requirements for drawbar holes or slots, similarly for the rear coupling. The material is easily worked so this shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, I missed off all the details that would be too vulnerable in FUD, such as the steps and handrails. We tried moulding the water scoop standard as an experiment, leaving the handle to be added, but it may be desirable to scratch build the whole standard in metal.

The missing detail that I was actually alluding to is the sixth of the seven coal plate reinforcing straps, now added to the printing.

John

Blimey John - that's an impressive turn around! Can I get you to have a chat with some of my suppliers at work about lead times?! ;)

Thank you very much, I've placed an order along with a few other bits (with the added bonus of finding I had €22 of store credit I'd forgotten about!). With regard to the Waterscoop standard, the prototype I'm modelling is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44095949@N02/6831246915/in/photolist-bpDVHe-4KB3my-5qAr8C-6CGRJJ-4XhqKV-65yDw1,which isn't that clear but I think they're there. My prototype is a bit of a contradiction to the lovely, ornate models you are producing!

Cheers,

Pix

Hi John,

Tender arrived today - lovely bit of design! The backheads are also very nice and are particularly clean prints.

Thanks for making them available.

Cheers,

Pix

Archived