Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

So whose done their homework...and posted it up for inspection???

Here you are, Ma'am, sorry it's late:

IMG_2462.JPG

I think a lot of the readers will see what I've been after doing here, only the steering wheel is included in the kit for the cab.  This was the hardest bit to fit!  The various levers (apart from the transmission lock & the gear lever I forget what the yello- and red-topped ones did) ere made from dressmakers' pins carefully trimmed to size, painted and put in holes made with my trusty pin vice & miniature bits.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Nice to see a FFR Land Rover in detail. The red lever is 2-4  wheel drive and the yellow one which you push down is to select low range. If I remember right you can change from 2 to 4 wheel drive on the move but you have to be stationary to select low range. To go back to high range again you have to change back to 2 wheel drive with the red lever which pops the yellow one back up. Or that might just be BS the details become fuzzy due to the mists of time and its been around 20 years since I last drove a 3/4 tonne FFR rover in anger.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Nice to see a FFR Land Rover in detail. The red lever is 2-4  wheel drive and the yellow one which you push down is to select low range. If I remember right you can change from 2 to 4 wheel drive on the move but you have to be stationary to select low range. To go back to high range again you have to change back to 2 wheel drive with the red lever which pops the yellow one back up. Or that might just be BS the details become fuzzy due to the mists of time and its been around 20 years since I last drove a 3/4 tonne FFR rover in anger.

Regards Lez.

Spot on mate, that's exactly how it works.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Here you are, Ma'am, sorry it's late:

IMG_2462.JPG

I think a lot of the readers will see what I've been after doing here, only the steering wheel is included in the kit for the cab.  This was the hardest bit to fit!  The various levers (apart from the transmission lock & the gear lever I forget what the yello- and red-topped ones did) ere made from dressmakers' pins carefully trimmed to size, painted and put in holes made with my trusty pin vice & miniature bits.

Excellent stuff mate, really super.

I don't think the 3/4 tonne FFR's were ever fitted with the Fairey overdrive, or you could have added another lever :)

I remember one of my mates getting into the cab of an overdrive fitted Series 3 for the first time and being totally bewildered by all the knobs...

Effectively you ended up with 16 forward gears and 4 reverse, although I wouldn't recommend trying to use them all.

Cheers mate.

Al.

• Like 1

Hi

That is pretty amazing, how will you make the rifle racks?

Eek!  I think I'm going to leave it as is, now.  I had considered doing the foot pedals, but because of the rather chunky steering wheel they would never be seen anyway.  If I did do this again I would enhance the instrument panel and also put something on to represent the hot air blowers on the windscreen.

IIRC the rifle racks were a relatively late thing, although there were SMG brackets which were no use nor ornament when we had Gods Own Rifle (aka the SLR) or the SA80.

Hi there.

Regards Lez.

Thanks, Lez.  As an Officer I wasn't supposed to drive (accidents had to be dealt with by the Bde Comd not the CO) but worked in a couple of Units where I did.  My first LR fam course was on one with these levers and great fun - we were actively encouraged to bog them in so we got practice in getting them out.  

In later Units we had permanent 4WD and the small black knob for doing ratios and diff locks, although at the end of my career in Bosnia we were mainly in civvy Landcruisers & the like.  I spent a lot of time in a crew-cab LR in Central America on one job, but again wasn't allowed to drive because local conditions were so hectic.

Excellent stuff mate, really super.

I don't think the 3/4 tonne FFR's were ever fitted with the Fairey overdrive, or you could have added another lever :)

I remember one of my mates getting into the cab of an overdrive fitted Series 3 for the first time and being totally bewildered by all the knobs...

Effectively you ended up with 16 forward gears and 4 reverse, although I wouldn't recommend trying to use them all.

Cheers mate.

Al.

Thanks, Al, much appreciated!  I think I've squeezed enough in now.  I had the classic schoolboy howler of picking the thing up having not cleaned my fingers properly, cue a very quick mask and repaint.  With luck I'll get the hard top on tonight & the black stripes painted.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

Silky_Jack 

Ian

You have a little break and you miss loads  :no:

When we started this PIR stuff, I recorded how we did it

below is a link, the bag of mixed green I put down BEFORE those turfs is the equivalent of flock, I only sprinkled mine lightly for a cheap background, 

I use the rule of three, i.e. 3 tonally comparable colours make a nice camouflage (think something like Army Uniform)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-dont-look-back-in-angeri-heard-her-say/page-70&do=findComment&comment=1291645

0. A good base colour decide what your earth colour is and paint the base first, then any gaps are mud

1. flock 2. turf 3. static grass

Good luck catching up.......you'll see it very itemised....be prepared to get bored quickly.....

Fee lfree to ask questions, I don't mind at all...especially for someone who has given me so much information  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

I have hit a snag, the foam at the back balances quite nicely.....but put a building on it and it is in danger of collapsing, put two buildings and it probably will!!!!!

The foam supporting it is on the track!!!!! A permanent solution is required.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_339057.jpgrmweb646terraforming137

No extra work to the pond yet...and loads to do...but it takes a nice snap already

med_gallery_17883_3001_25449.jpgrmweb652terraforming143

med_gallery_17883_3001_552217.jpgrmweb653terraforming144

med_gallery_17883_3001_815057.jpgrmweb656terraforming147

• Like 3

Now I know the tree that was here 5 seconds ago had some great bark, so looked really realistic. However, the branches were so flat and few that I really didn't like the canopy.

So I ripped it apart and stole some bits to put on this branch instead....hence a new 'tree'

It took a little fiddling to make the greenery sit on the tree and not look silly, but I quickly threw this together because it was bugging me. 

med_gallery_17883_3001_385009.jpgrmweb647terraforming138

For comparison the trunk out of focus

med_gallery_17883_3001_713353.jpgrmweb648terraforming139

slightly more focused

med_gallery_17883_3001_396445.jpgrmweb649terraforming140

And another

rmweb651terraforming142

• Like 4

Hey Jaz

You want to start taking you skills to exhibitors with Kal... you do produce some quality work.  What did you use to make that water... look excellent and so realistic.

Keep up the excellent work.

Jamie

7APT7

black paint, add a little petrol blue (both house paints from the bankrupt Focus) and a little wood dye, topped with varnish, plus some almost dried dumped on top, the bumps catch the light. 1 layer of varnish so far. I just slap the brush backwards and forwards in the direction the water would flow. The one I did today already had the PIR cut, so adding the colour was like 30-60 mins I don't check. The one I photographed about the same. The one I photographed has a drop due to be a waterfall so you see the highlights on it.

That's a nice thought about the exhibitions, but Kal has a full time job, so we rarely get the chance to travel. Plus with my dads health I wouldn't at present. I could do a strip of PIR showing the different items I add them.I suppose, Kal has helped PaulieBanger at a show. But I then take the opportunity to wander around sourcing bits, and looking at exhibitors. As I have no plans to try and sell, especially as I don't think people would pay a reasonable amount. However, I would do it for free (should I say at cost) for friends who visited, but none are close. Although if I met a friend at a show and they bought the stuff, it might well take me the day to sort it to my satisfaction. Matching the colours to the rest of the layout is then an issue.

Oh and water features, although some are simple, the waterfalls can take me months, adding a bit at a time. Although I could do fast ones with a flat back it is not something I would do out of choice. I suppose I could do small ones to order, but they take a while. Again I would do them free for a friend, but the water products are not cheap. 

Waiting for layers to dry before doing more, and you can do upto 10 layers, is an issue. The item would be fragile, and I would feel bad if someone damaged one before getting home even though once sold it's not really my issue. I think it just gets complicated.

I could produce ponds I suppose, the one on the layout was easy and would be low on work hours. I could do the pond and leave the edge to be matched to a layout. But considering we are doing our own layout, the money I made would not replace the work I could be doing. If any friends want help / advice just pm me.

Back of the Big house / Bed and Breakfast / Stately Home.

I have still not recoloured those cobbles but at this angle they work, and the join? 

med_gallery_17883_3001_162177.jpgrmweb654terraforming145

front of same

med_gallery_17883_3001_234623.jpgrmweb655terraforming146

• Like 1

Well Jazz

I will keep you in mind for when or if I ever get to a level of adding a water scene on my layout.

Hope you and Kal  are both doing ok, and hope you dad is getting back to normal.

Jamie

dt

if you want water, tell us the size before the next time you visit, and we''ll sort it out. you'll need a big bag to take it home with you.

Or else  you'll need some of the sand to model the sand...it is the best stuff.You put the varnish on the edge of the sand because it should appear wet, the rest of the sand infixed with PVA. The water starts out dark at the deep, adding white towards the beach, and the waves try Duluxe waves. FYI I have some I will be testing out, so you can see how I do it. The water will be cheap clear gloss varnish.Built up in thin layers. The varnish will bring its own magic to the finish.

If you want a long length and would consider taking it in sections of say 2 feet we can possibly help you out.

Right, last quick hijack.  I'll post a full build post on my workbench thread when I get this done.  Here's how the Rover looked before getting the back on it:

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

"It seems a shame to cover it up" has a familiar ring from elsewhere.  And yes, I did consider putting an LED in it...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1