Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Jaz,

One of the main reasons for areas to become treeless is that Sheep eat them    .................     :O  :O   ...    what?! ... :no:  :O  

Over many years they have been grazed around the trees and they eat the saplings as they sprout, so that the only trees that are left are the full grown ones - which eventually fall down, as they do.

There are areas, I have seen in Wales, where Sheep have been kept off with fencing.  These areas start to grow trees back again quite quickly. Apparently the virtually bare Brecons used to be covered in trees, until farmed with Sheep.

Next comes the Erosion from ground, no longer protected by the tree cover and Roots - swoosh, down into the rivers to be deposited on the Flood Plains.

Opinions vary on what, if anything, should / could be done about it before the mountains may get back to bare rock  ....

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, the tree is looking excellent. Thank you so much for showing your step-by-step, it's really helpful, and I will definitely be referring back to it when I get to the stage of tree planting.

Cheers,

Al.

The tall thinner ones, were probably grown close to others, if gown in a nice space, you get more like this

beech-tree-2.jpgfilesite.org

I would have liked to do a purple or a copper beech, but do not have the materials. However I am off to start work on the canopy

• Like 1

This is a posting test...

And an editing test...

Later edit/explanation: Could I hell post or edit on another thread just a few minutes a go!! I was getting "no content" and "too short" as well as not posting at all.

Seems OK now - but what a time waste!

Edited by Brass0four

Jaz:

Loving the tree work - and it IS a lot of work for you, doing it and posting it! Cheers!

The downside(?) is that your individual examples put the shop-bought properly in the shade. And given the size of your layout in total...  (shock smilie)

It is appreciated. :-D

Tony.

A picture of the whole tree so you can see where I am with the canopy

med_gallery_17883_3001_354026.jpgrmweb415trees71

Against a white background for definition, the grey part is still just flex bark

med_gallery_17883_3001_512969.jpgrmweb416trees72

2nd angle

med_gallery_17883_3001_214700.jpgrmweb417trees73

You could use this as a winter tree as it is, but you can still do so much more....and I will  :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3001_585020.jpgrmweb472trees74

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jaz, I just noticed, you've added the moss on what would appear to be the down-wind side of the prevailing wind, judging by the way the tree is shaped. I know you said that moss usually only grows on one side, so is that deliberate on your part?

I had to decide which season to go with. Well you basically have winter. I consider autumn but the colours would be hard to replicate with what I have to hand, and summer the canopy would b so flu you would lose all the branches, so spring was left....

med_gallery_17883_3001_64007.jpgrmweb473trees75

I straightened out the branches into the fishbone shape I mentioned earlier, and added copydex to the top of the branches and sprinkledGaugemaster GM156 leaves light green, all over them. 

normally I would avoid such an acidic colour, but for new spring leaves especially on Beech trees they are he perfect colour,(GM157 leaves medium green is a good all rounder though)

and I slowly worked my way up the tree doing the same, occasionally I dabbed a bit of glue on a trunk usually at a right angle as though a new branch was sprouting

and you you might notice the wildlife, these are from the cove scene and painted as seagulls, I will probably get more and paint a more appropriate colour

there is a tiny blackbird...which you will see later.

med_gallery_17883_3001_496784.jpgrmweb474trees76

oh and I dumped it on a green cork tile to help define the shape

• Like 2

with the light in place you can see some great tree texture - all thanks to flexi-bark (I really really should have negotiated a deal on this LOL. This whole big tree used a 1/4-1/3 at a push almost a 1/2 considering the size of the tree and the huber of layers I added i think this is very good value)

med_gallery_17883_3001_217904.jpgrmweb477trees79

A better view of the birds pecking about in the ground, you can see the original black shadows are no longer glaring and just add some depth

A close close up 

med_gallery_17883_3001_153767.jpgrmweb475trees77

• Like 1

the little blackbird, on the south side with no moss, and the black still somewhat harsh, you can see the soil which was built up of 3 green foam turfs and a touch of brown and black scatter

med_gallery_17883_3001_255002.jpgrmweb476trees78

and a pull back to see the birds at a more normal distance

med_gallery_17883_3001_443176.jpgrmweb478trees80

I can't remember why I took this, even I can't see much difference from the last one LMAO

med_gallery_17883_3001_516317.jpgrmweb478trees81

• Like 2

OK

I got all the foliage on, checked for the worst gaps (empty brown branch, empty copper wire)

med_gallery_17883_3001_334275.jpgrmweb79trees82

So you say to yourself Ahhah she's finished.....oh so wrong........DETAILS it's all in the details...... :jester:

N.B. If anyone thinks of a detail that would be there that I have missed it please say (and no before someone asks I am NOT adding miniature dog poo for realism)

Angles from other views before the detailing....wait....for....it....you must (Yoda)

med_gallery_17883_3001_127286.jpgrmweb480trees83

med_gallery_17883_3001_596131.jpgrmweb481trees84

69496602.jpgCalroy on Panoramio

• Like 1

Thank you Jack374

When I do the willow i won't put up anywhere near so many pictures, and it will not be so tall (75ft or under) the hanging branches need some different work. plus Willos rarely have exposed roots so that will make it simpler as well. People might find the willow easier to copy.

fitting these all in will be fun, the more open the canopy the more chance of seeing the layout when i take long view shots, otherwise it will look like an Arboretum advert LMAO.

Edited by Jaz

For those people thinkningthere is not much going on I am painting shadows under the branches using Citadel shades, and also adding some green to the top of the branches and the trunk,

med_gallery_17883_3001_386058.jpgrmweb482trees85

in this light it might not be obvious to you, but it makes a big difference to the naked eye, and you will get the full result later when it hits the layout

med_gallery_17883_3001_519088.jpgrmweb483trees86

med_gallery_17883_3001_404996.jpgrmweb484trees87

But things are about to get more interesting....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Not really, we plan to have a moving/rotational  season. Goathland is getting mostly spring trees so you can look for the canopies for photographs otherwise some of the details we have so painstakingly tried to incorporate might be lost.

But we have winter trees and snow (it will be after a snow fall and it's started melting, so the colours work with the with the white rather than be overwhelmed and a white out.

I will be doing summer and most especially autumn too.

It would be nice to do them in order so as you go around the correct seasons follow each other, therefore if we start in spring  in Goathland we get summer in Hogsmeade and Port Lynn, through to Kalboro, then some autumn and then some Winter. This might mean Sheffield Park ends up with the snow effect and with the control centre a break between Sheffield Park and Goathland this should work out nicely. Nothing is set in concrete with us though, so this might change.

• Like 2