Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Well it is either back to terraforming, or onto Goathland station. It is still too cold to brave the garage and the airbrush. At which point Kal has a number of jobs lined up.So weathering locos, renaming, and a little project with grafitti will be elevated to big status. Meantime I am photographing my water, but it will take a while for me to get the detail, as i like to work on the water at my leisure.

If anyone is interested in any specific modelling they can post an interest. Although ballasting is waiting until I know whether Kal is sticking with the peco or trying something else.

Terraforming is most likely. I have 

1. finish Heartbeat, joining up the roads, making a space for the tow houses that should fit in the space between Goathlnad and Heartbeat.

2. finish Goathland. This will include the second platform made from PIR. The wall behind the station made from PIR and the hillside made from....you guessed it PIR, swell as platforms etc.

3. get on with the bridge in Heartbeat that leaves Goathland station

4. sneak off and play with Sheffield Park. I plan a lane/road rising up to 100mm with a sort of Hovis advert style with modern buildings. OR a modern industrial area, which is about what is in the sheffield area nowadays. I won't be doing it like the rap thing it would be a tribute affair.

5. The back scenes to the computer control area are also up for grab although the one on the right is likely to be a flavour of the exit from Goathland, just ignoring the track, because we need an up and a down track.

although if we hit a railway show and i get more detail bits / figures / etc I can paint them whilst watching TV.

I won't do the willow back to back with the beech because it will probably bore the pants off people. So I won't have anyone to chat to.

• Like 3

Hopefully I should get some nice on layout photos later today (i.e. after I have been to bed) , I suspect a lot of people will be shocked at how big the thing is. Although is is 100foot, the English champion Beech is 151 so half as big again!!!!!!!! It will dwarf the layout LOL, it's an absolute monster, and I added more height designing it to sit wit the exposed roots.

Anyways I am off to bed

Thanks again for the nice comments

Edited by Jaz

Good work here Jas.

Jaz,

this is Ken one of the chaps at Birkenhead as I call it because that where I head for on the Road signs, I should say the Merseyside Model Railway Society and Ken, Jaz make great everything Models... Trees and water features and load more Just browse through the thread, there not a lot I dont think I have seen Jaz not do, would that be correct Jaz.

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

LOL I started to reply to this and the post kept growing. I should have done this on page 100. But This is a potted history of Arboretum Valley.

Hi aeroken1 welcome to Arboretum Valley.

Is there a link to the Mersey Model Railway Society? Perhaps a layout on RMweb? Always lovely to see other peoples work.

As 7APT7 says Kal and I will have a go at just about anything, although I have way more time than him because he works and I am a housewife. We bounce a lot of ideas off each other, and Kal is a fantastic researcher (a small part of his work skills)  I should have done a broad overview when we reached page 100, but it never occurred to me. Hopefully the following posts will give you an overview of what we have tried on our layout.

Kal originally roped me in with would I paint a back drop then dress a little bit of the layout

, a garden etc like a little dolls house. And it grew from there. I used to spend most of my time artistic time drawing (fantasy, portraits or characatures), Plus I like Warhammer painting.

med_gallery_17883_2781_501788.jpg

We use mostly plonk and play resin buildings, but as time allows I do weather them, these are Northern lights I have weathered.

med_gallery_17883_2760_745738.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1095160

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

and helped draw up the layout ideas, especially the stuff around the tracks.But have crossed over into the scenic areas. I like water features (a lot)

waterfall (this survives the rip out)

8942333592_4213999230_c.jpg

the old river through version heartbeat 1 this is now ripped out

med_gallery_17883_2793_1645940.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1064027

this is going to be partly covered by Heartbeat version 2, but the high level will have a new waterfall reminiscent of Mallyann Spout falling onto this area so it is not completely lost

med_gallery_17883_2793_1522307.jpg

Port Lynn Cove

med_gallery_17883_2806_1762614.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

and am fascinated by trees. considering the last exhaustive pictures I won't bore people with that  :jester:

My first serious kit (and only the third or fourth at all) build was done last year for Kal's birthday.

Kalborough station

9058238793_c98ceb705a_c.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1069380

dt sent a nice one for me to make up, the B.R.U.T.E.S. to which I added my own curtains made from painted tissue paper - the type you wrap china in

Kalborough Station

med_gallery_17883_2760_145231.jpg

A Dapol house kit (the first thing I ever made from a kit. Temporarily sat in the Hogsmeade area.

8722132658_e05523494c_c.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-14&do=findComment&comment=1116515

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I enjoy the modelling, because I did 3D art at college. So I got a basis in photography (hence why I admire work like 7APT7 - thinking like the plastic model in the layout and getting photographs from their perspective, getting certain things in focus and others out of it (so you mind fills the details), pottery (which translates well, hence my skills with the DAS), , technical drawing (useful for drawing the track layout especially as I although am not computer phobic I really don't like CAD (computer aided design) as I prefer sneaking off to draw it with a pencil and paper) I did life drawing (but the modelling of 4mm figures are too fiddly for me to even want to trying to emulate the likes of Dart Castings, I don't even cut up plastic models and rearrange them). I have taken a great interest in the likes of acg_mr, freebs, Westerhamstation, , CW&R, JCL (I have yet to get the chance to read very much about his printer or his thread would be littered with me asking questions) as in people who have recently got into scratch building - and have made it their own. As well as more established modellers such as the inspirational Iain robinson and Allan Downes.

Regards scratch builds I have set aside my first one

in order to re do the walls because when I made my thatched roof out of DAS it became far too heavy for the 30 thou plasticard. Ye Olde White Horse Inn.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-10&do=findComment&comment=1100263

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-11&do=findComment&comment=1103404

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-14&do=findComment&comment=1115175

The only window I didn't 'draw I cut my own plasticard so is a bit naff

med_gallery_17883_2781_137705.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2781_400221.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2781_1157128.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2781_103676.jpg

lthough I did do a small one after a dare from C&WR (which I could not overlook because we dared him previously and he ended up with that lovely Art Deco build) I have bought in Linka to emulate Sasquatchs fantastic abbey, but as yet had no time. The small out house was the result.

A scratch built outhouse photographed on Hogsmeade area

med_gallery_17883_3001_41405.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Yes the pub was rather large, it is a real pub, and it was pointed out to me that first a first scratch build something so big might be a mouthful. Which is why I did the small outhouse (quick done in an evening). The photos today give a flavour of what has occurred on our thread, from my perspective at least. Kal does wiring, computer control, chipping, modelling as well, and a variety of other aspects. but as i can answer question about that which I am involved with I have stuck to those areas.

• Like 2

having to date only weathered one loco.I didn't expect to be so pleased with it, so did not record how I did it.

MPD ripped out to be rebuilt in a new position

8868881746_59444fc392_c.jpg

and a picture of the pro type to explain why it is so dirty

56083%20Aston%20Hill.jpg

8868217963_105e3c7ca4_c.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

But I have to admit nothing scares me, and as I read so many great threads I am learning good stuff all the time. As with everyone it is time.

We have a modern day layout, which  also includes a heritage and preservation aspect (allowing us a lot of choice of trains) and a film studio which basically covers anything else in the way of cheating (even the small RAF base could be a film studio - hence it's strange layout.Thus we justify just about anything on our layout....it is rather like being Alice and falling into Wonderland LMAO. (NB the following pictures are not numbered as they have been used in context elsewhere, however all are on my gallery)

Kalborough Modern

med_gallery_17883_2760_86467.jpg

Kalborough East, another are yet to be fully developed Modern

med_gallery_17883_2795_573663.jpg

Kalborough Union Station Modern

med_gallery_17883_2804_416548.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-15&do=findComment&comment=1123878

the original Heartbeat area (on this thread prior to August 2013 - although I refer to it after that date on numerous occasions Modern and Heartbeat 1960s film set

med_gallery_17883_2793_32958.jpg

And Goathland modern preservation film set for Heartbeat and Harry Potter

med_gallery_17883_2793_195580.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1126617

In August 2013 we ripped up a large quantity 32 feet worth and started again.!!!!!!!!!

The MPD which will now be rebuilt in the old loft sometime in the future in some guise or other modern (but needs to be resurrected in the new area atm homeless)

med_gallery_17883_2793_1625533.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1126454

med_gallery_17883_2793_989521.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-you-cant-find-the-trees-for-the-wood-how-jaz-makes-trees/page-3#entry10658

Sheffield Park, the layout is ready, to be populated we just need the time it will be  modern but with BlueBell preservation and heritage

med_gallery_17883_2856_837863.jpg

Port Lynn RAF base modern film studio  / RAF rescue base with film set and re enactments which is so popular on NYMR (North Yorkshire Moors)

med_gallery_17883_2797_611043.jpg

Port Lynn Town Modern

med_gallery_17883_2796_1223493.jpg

Port Lynn Cove Modern

med_gallery_17883_3051_753575.jpg

Hogsmeade and Hogwarts Modern filmset and filming crew for Harry Potter Modern Film set

med_gallery_17883_2757_648852.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2757_448112.jpg

The recent work on Heartbeat and Goathland terraforming is us replacing it slowly. Sheffield Park station will follow. Kal masterminds all the electronics, wiring,DCC, point controllers, Railroad and Co, his understanding of this stuff is totally above my head, and his conversations with Richard Johnson of DCC concepts make my eyes water.

And an initial test piece and how the terraforming started this rebuild, this piece floats around and is used to check new stuff looks ok

med_gallery_17883_2878_845226.jpg

OMG looking this I realise how much of our pictures we did not bring a cross with us from the other forum. I am off to upload some photos.....................

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Hi Jaz & Kal

True craftsmanship, those photos are all great, and shows just how long the layout is, it a great length and width.

Keep up the excellent modelling, I'm learning a lot from your photos.

Jamie

I have seen someone  do a brilliant weathering job somewhere, They basically recoloured and made it look completely different, far better than the standard model imo.  I think on this forum, but the precise whereabouts defeat me. But it is worth looking our for. Ooh perhaps in the RM the skills and knowledge area?

Oh as a point of interest. 

I usual populate the gallery as i use the pictures on the posts, and therefore rarely review them. I was looking for something in their and thus browsing when I found some nice comments, but also questions. I have now answered the questions but if anyone has questions about the gallery it might be faster to pop the question up here, where Kal or I will almost certainly notice it, and you can get an aster while you still remember what ir refers to......LOL

Port Lynn showing RAF at Top Cove at bottom and town to the right.

med_gallery_17883_2796_706996.jpgrmweb506portlynn1

Whilst looking at my gallery today I noticed a few gaps so here i have added the Port Lynn cove area for your perusal

Above you see the RAF base, and to the right Portlynn town, some wag did say we should turn it into PortWynn from the Doc Martin series.

med_gallery_17883_2796_727302.jpgrmweb507Portlynn2

To the left you see my waterfall, on the heights is Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, below is Heartbeat, although the watermill by Bachmann is from Early near Reading IMHO

And a long view of PortLynn town

med_gallery_17883_2796_628004.jpgrmweb516portlynn1

Hope these make it easier to visualise

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3