Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I started to put the paint on withtheose micro brushes I like so much....disaster...they can't reach into the grooves on this model, quick change to a brush to rescue the job.

med_gallery_17883_3145_48822.jpgrmweb934class66R

The paint has dried

med_gallery_17883_3145_340147.jpgrmweb935class66S

I can't say I like the Humbrol Maskol much either, it was easy enough to put in place, but as I painted over the edge (mistake) when I took it off it lifted the paint nearby!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3145_106122.jpgrmweb936class66T

I knocked it off carefully retaining the shape and added some Tcut to try to soften it back down.

And you beat the far more obvious pictures......

If you look carefully you can see I do a dark blue next to the pale blue

On the left I have painted it white, it is going to be pink, BUT the pink has a tendency to be opaque and the blue model would show through, so I have chosen to go white humbrol acrylic first, lets hope the pink takes, I am going to let it cure overnight...and leave the tamiya tape on as well. A risk but it's the choice I run with.

med_gallery_17883_3145_182977.jpgrmwebclass66U

The head on mine looks wider, but it has a green surround and a white inner, the white inner is more easily seen by us and the green merges with the pink, lets hope mine works the same way when I have finished....

and for those that have not got it yet.....A picture of the real thing.

march_gbrf_class66720-openday-2011.jpg

ukrailways1970today.me.uk

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

In between paint the loco I had to step back and let stuff dry.

med_gallery_17883_3112_14462.jpgrmweb929figures1

med_gallery_17883_3112_720111.jpgrmweb930figures2

No where near finished but you get the idea. And if I added some sand on the Knightwing refuelling area I can embed their feet.. Sand is certainly in the reference photograph.

• Like 3

Well I suspected it.....and I was right the Tamiya pink is very opaque, even over the white it is patchy (over the blue it would have been Disastrous Darling)

I will have to wait for it to dry and paint a 2nd cot of pink, i.e. a third layer with the white underneath.....lets hope the thickness does not make it look awful.

I also pulled the tamiya tape off after painting.......and the pink ran ....everywhere. Won't be doing that again!!!! So Tcut to the rescue which then left 'oriole little marks....I finally resorted to painting the bald bit black  :angel: . Once it is weathered hopeful won't be took bad. And on the edges at the bottom the white is VERY noticeable but I daren't retouch the pink until it is dried.

(I may chew off all my nails worrying about it!!!)

med_gallery_17883_3145_334648.jpgrmweb938class66V

Then to make matters worse.....I knocked the pink for six, half the paint (thankfully not all of it) all over the table....I had a whole roll of toilet paper ......I did consider racing to the loo....my adrenaline levels had just soared sky high!!!! but I resisted the urge to turn tail and run and wiped it up, the moaning noises I was making did attract Kal who came to calm me down.

med_gallery_17883_3145_774.jpgrmweb940class66W

I also noticed that I had a distinct blue very thin line between my pale blue and the edging strip, model glaring through, so using smallest micro brush and a tamiya cotton bud and water I carefully hand painted the discrepancy...the paint is somewhat thicker now (hopefully on drying it will not be so bad) I took a picture looked at it thought uggg deleted it as slightly out of focus and forgot to take another of the thin blue line........

The second layer of pink I am hoping will bring the pink up a shade in tone.......other wise I will be needing to look at some way to darken it....4 layers????? I just don't want to go there.

It actually looks better in real life (if a bit patchy...well to my eye) than portrayed in the picture.Hopefully once all colours are added I will be worrying about something else, or lots of something else's so they will all even put to small niggles.

med_gallery_17883_3145_202413.jpgrmweb941class66X

Anyway I pop this up while I wait for the paint to dry. I won't be repainting the pink until it is well cured, so I just need to pluck up courage to paint the green on the rainbow....and must remember to NOT smudge the pink or the blue edges I retouched......

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Carefully checking the turquoise and pink I decided the bottom GBRF yellow was in need of some touching up, the colour runs, the washing off with water and also Tcut and repainted the edges had left some bits a bit iffy.....

I can highly recommend the Phoemix Precision dull GBRG yellow, at least with regards to this model, the colour is a brilliant match. It makes it hard to see where you have painted, but once you painted - wonder - lets hope theres no colour change as it dries.

med_gallery_17883_3145_117974.jpgrmweb943class66z

I then moved onto the Tamiya green

med_gallery_17883_3145_359834.jpgrmweb944class66AA

The pink by the way is still the original layer. It is looking more pink to me, so perhaps I was right once you move away from the actual colour, and move on to something else, it looks better :sungum: Or else the colour becomes richer as it dries. Regardless the pink IMHO (humble not honest) is looking better. (and it tends to focus your eye so the blue does not appear patchy either :jester: )

med_gallery_17883_3145_371771.jpgrmweb942class66Y

Now I have two ends curing. I can't go to the left or the right of the pink at the moment,the green will at least dry out fairly quickly (even though the are both Tamiya, I have noticed the green dries faster) I will just go check what is due to go to the right of the turquoise blue as they area is reasonably cured though I do paint the little right hand bit today, s it was covered by tape at the original time of painting.

I am itching to go have a look at the head, but know I have to wait. It also occurred to me, afterwards, that I could paint that area white before adding the green, but the green is a Humbol enamel and will take longer to dry and the white is a Humbrol acrylic and quick to dry.....decisions decisions.Meantime I have left the angled magnifying fluorescent light on to help the drying process.

Perhaps I should go make my yellow sun and moon templates....although I need to go buy the yellow....

ooh yeah best go to the shops...none of my yellows are acid lemon drop colour...they are all golden orange shades.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Dref, drble, dob, erbl, duoff..........

Speachless amazing. 

The flourescent light should not help drying as it should not produce any heat.  (May do of course.)

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

ChrisN

Thanks very much, I made a major foray at the model shop. Should be no shortage of suitable colours. I also got a number of Tamiya's clear colours which I am hoping will be good for providing shadows on their counterparts. i.e. Tamiya flat yellow (matt)  XF-3 and clear yellow X-24, also a light green (only available in gloss finish) X-15 and a clear greenX-25. and a flat red XF-7 and a clear red X-27. Hopefully these will help finish this project. The pink is only available as a gloss. There was two other clears so I nabbed them as well Orange and Blue. I have put the blue on on tho side. I may try the new blue on the other side.I am off to investigate that right hand door. I plan to finish one side, and seal, before resting the other side and possibly messing it up.

I had not sealed my wagons, and when Kal kindly updated one with a decent coupling, handling resulted in this....THe paint moved on the runners. Kal had offered before he started to remove them as they do not seem to belong, but I had said wait so I can find some reference to match them if cut back. 

med_gallery_17883_3123_562443.jpgrmweb939couplings1

But even if the running boards stay it is repairable. And worth the effort as the new coupling looks much better. Plus a lesson learned on a cheap item. I.E. Definitely seal this loco!!!!

• Like 3

Swifty11

Welcome to Arboretum Valley  :sungum:

LOL you might not say that when you see what occurs next  :butcher: . I am now understanding why Andrew P and @Jc say I must be really brave. Luckily I know I can get valuable advice from Newbryford if I really go bad. But in the meantime...I am relying on my general painting skills to cope with this. Without the original help regards getting the idea from Newbryford and some of the how I do its from him and Blueeighties I think I could be knee-deep in the crud about now......as opposed to ankle deep and bailing out the boat.... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Originally I though the next colour was the GBRF dull from Phoenix Precision, later when I compared the door with the grafitti to the nearby cab it is not the same colour. I would have been happy with the rather similar colour. But as it goes when I tried painting the dull GBRF directly onto the model......Disaster Darling!!!!!!!

........The colour flowed directly into the grooves leaving the ridges distinctly blue!!! If I allowed this to dry? The grooves would be filled before the ridges could be painted and there would be a strange lumpy effect!!!!! Do not pass Go, do not collect £200....go directly to Jail!!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3145_381366.jpgrmweb944class66AB

A quick panic.....then brain engaged!!! I quickly brushed the paint back off.....and went and grabbed the Phoenix thinners and kept brushing until I had most of it off.

med_gallery_17883_3145_525841.jpgrmweb945class66AC

Time for plan B regards this colour....and a need to let the phoenix thinners disperse. A quick trip to the kitchen for a calorie fix to calm my nerves :angel: 

• Like 4

I wil ensure I have a bucket ready.....and wellies (not the sling back ones you understand :sarcastichand: ) Before the job is finished I might be in need of that bucket......more than once :jester:

It's as well we don't have a hoofing emoticon or I would have worn it out by now!!!!

Swifty11

Welcome to Arboretum Valley  :sungum:

LOL you might not say that when you see what occurs next  :butcher: . I am now understanding why Andrew P and @Jc say I must be really brave. Luckily I know I can get valuable advice from Newbryford if I really go bad. But in the meantime...I am relying on my general painting skills to cope with this. Without the original help regards getting the 'blueprint' from Newbryford and some of the how I do its from him and Blueeighties I think I could be knee-deep in the crud about now......as opposed to ankle deep and bailing out the boat.... :jester:

Jaz, please can I change that to TOTALLY MAD. :O :o :O       :no: :no: :no:

And :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Thank you for sharing your near disaster.  As my artistic skill just near enough equivalent to painting by numbers it is encouraging to see things go wrong for those who know what they are doing, and how you get out of it.