Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

the towns will need to be mostly generic, with an odd item or two that can swop out, in order for the pair to work properly. then it will be down to the dressing cars lorries people and bins etc to date it. 

It gives a small village in Goathland / Heartbeat

The magic village of Harry Potter,

The RAF area will get an upgrade,

and one large sprawling town,

the rest will end up the more usual railway buildings etc. 

Although there will be industry....in the new area and a mining town..

Fitting in everything will be a cleve piece of work

And I plan a generic railway station area, that allows me to swop the station buildings in and out.....if I get bored.....this may involve swappable PIR section so the building sit properly, although working thePIR is pretty easy. Its the planning that holds you up.

• Like 3

..................    Have you considered  ................    

the towns will need to be mostly generic, with an odd item or two that can swop out, in order for the pair to work properly. then it will be down to the dressing cars lorries people and bins etc to date it. 

It gives a small village in Goathland / Heartbeat

The magic village of Harry Potter,

The RAF area will get an upgrade,

and one large sprawling town,

the rest will end up the more usual railway buildings etc. 

Although there will be industry....in the new area and a mining town..

Fitting in everything will be a cleve piece of work

And I plan a generic railway station area, that allows me to swop the station buildings in and out.....if I get bored.....this may involve swappable PIR section so the building sit properly, although working thePIR is pretty easy. Its the planning that holds you up.

...............................    just how tricky it will be to get that past the top Brass at the "Monastery"   ....................................  :acute:

The bigger problem is getting some reference, as I would like a military site not a civilian one. Military is smaller for a start. My run way will regardless need to run into the wall and a vanishing point. And I would still like to use the old airport, nissan huts etc, side by side with some modern stuff. I have a ed arrow....am considering two more. But it is the layout. The aircraft on the edge, and the buildings to the back would be acceptable with a wire fence. But I need to find something to get the flavour right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The bigger problem is getting some reference, as I would like a military site not a civilian one. Military is smaller for a start. My run way will regardless need to run into the wall and a vanishing point. And I would still like to use the old airport, nissan huts etc, side by side with some modern stuff. I have a ed arrow....am considering two more. But it is the layout. The aircraft on the edge, and the buildings to the back would be acceptable with a wire fence. But I need to find something to get the flavour right.

Jaz,

Could you Google Earth an RAF base?  Northolt, Lakenheath, Mildenhall?  I am sure there are others you could look at as well.  Northolt might be good as it is in London and therefore quite circumscribed, or maybe Duxford?

That sounds good Jaz     ..........

That said, I'm not sure how many Units with concrete/tarmac runways, would have had Nissan huts   ........   my impression was that the Units which were developed enough, to have C/T Runways, would also have had brick or a type of Pre-fab huts, often made with slabs of compressed straw faced with what looked like asbestos sheet [??]

Units with grass runways, thrown up in a big hurry might well have had Nissan huts. Having said all that, I have a vague memory of a Bomber Stn with Nissans   ....   just not sure  ....    :scratchhead:  ...   will have to mooch around that little thought.

.....   Humm.....

Jaz

What time period are you looking for? Once this is known, it will be easier to find something for you

My mum used to take me to Wimpy, I had doughnut and cream......mmmmm

she liked the meal with the hotdog cut to make a circle......irst introduction it cardboard chips....

oh and  occasionally an ice cream sundae.........

Ah good old Wimpy. First and best for me! Milkshakes with the burger were highlights of the year. And of course... any place that sells Doughnuts..............well.... :imsohappy:

Are you putting a Wimpy in the new area Jaz??

Dave

I was stationed at Northolt for 9 [?] months and worked from those Nissen huts.  If you Google map [sat Nav vs] you can clearly see the original, rather delightful Stn North of the runway and the hasty added Nissens to the South.

Many of the Civvy pilots made approaches to Northolt, in the belief they were approaching Heathrow  ...   and quite a few even put rubber on tarmac   ..........    :O  :O    ...   

The problem wasn't so much getting down, as getting back up again, as Northolt has a MUCH shorter runway than it's nearby commercial, neighbour ......   

...   one famous 707 put down and it had to be stripped out completely and minimum fuel to get to Heathrow, before it was allowed to try to get airborne again ......   and they still took down the fence at the end of the runway and stopped the traffic, on the A4, as they were'nt 100% sure about it ....    

...............   and why did they all do it?   .....   despite Air Traffic Control ...   Airways  ...  Radio Beacons  ...   Radar   ......   ...................   the excuse was nearly always the same  .........   "I simply lined up on the wrong Gasometer."   ....    

...........................    I bet that does wonders for everyone's confidence in flying   ..........     :no:  :nono:  :no:

Jaz,

Could you Google Earth an RAF base?  Northolt, Lakenheath, Mildenhall?  I am sure there are others you could look at as well.  Northolt might be good as it is in London and therefore quite circumscribed, or maybe Duxford?

I've been to RAF Upwood which has a couple too, but they are also, clearly, hasty additions to the brick built Stn ....  

Perhaps if you were to adopt the Northolt "principle" and have the runway stretch away into the background, which includes the brick build original stn buildings  .......    and Northolt Mess is a very pretty example of same  ....   :toclue:   :sungum:

• Like 3

Jaz,

Well I assumed they would be blanked out.....I'll look.

Jaz

What time period are you looking for? Once this is known, it will be easier to find something for you

Our time era, some time next week, so contemporary.

Older items are then a film set, museum or re-enactment scene.

Who knows what might be recreated for a film set next week, a 10000, or a DP2 replica for example.

• Like 1

Jaz if you want two small RAF bases then check out Catterick and Dishforth in North Yorkshire bot at side of A1. late 80`s I worked for a plant hire company so was in both regular with stuff for upgrades.  Catterick had Nissan huts where you now see the new builds at side runway which aint used these days. Dishforth is the same had loads of huts bunkers all gone now, and is now a front line helicopter & training base for Puma`s, Seaking`s, Apache and all modern military helicopters.

They look really big on Google maps but are really small when you drive past them.

post-14408-0-88601200-1414941647_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-90456700-1414941677_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No point  ..................

Well I assumed they would be blanked out.....I'll look.

they can all be seen quite clearly from the roads  ......   and flying over [higher than 3,000ft AGL]..........   flying around and not even over gets a good view too   .......    :sungum:

Must get right up the nasal orifice of some of the US Military guys, who consider that any piece of land they are standing on, no matter where they are in the world, is really a piece of the USA   ......    :no:   :nono:

....    rather upsets those types, when you inform them that they are actually under your jurisdiction   ......     :sungum: 

PS. The Yanks are certainly not all like that, by any means.

• Like 2

Jaz

I suppose almost modern day. Near us a farm had a nissan hut near us in good repair when we moved here just over 10 years ago, but the farm was sold on, the new owner never uses it, and now it is a dilapidated state...but there other others....stopping on the side of the road to photograph them might be hairy...I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1

Jaz if you want two small RAF bases then check out Catterick and Dishforth in North Yorkshire bot at side of A1. late 80`s I worked for a plant hire company so was in both regular with stuff for upgrades.  Catterick had Nissan huts where you now see the new builds at side runway which aint used these days. Dishforth is the same had loads of huts bunkers all gone now, and is now a front line helicopter & training base for Puma`s, Seaking`s, Apache and all modern military helicopters.

They look really big on Google maps but are really small when you drive past them.

attachicon.gifRAF Dishforth.jpg

attachicon.gifRAF Catterick.jpg

I'm amazed....I just assumed they would be blurred out. But great to know, I like the one with the crossed runways. I wonder just how much I can fit in.

• Like 1

Meantime I have been doing something rather more prosaic. A chicken ark/coop

med_gallery_17883_3149_81258.jpgrmweb3296detailing1

a lick of brown paint for the basis

med_gallery_17883_3149_125208.jpgrmweb3297detailing2

and then some matchsticks.....coffee tiers a la Adrian would probably be better, but these are to hand and sturdier and this is my first temp at this so I'll see how it goes...

med_gallery_17883_3149_285050.jpgrmweb3298detailing3

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

Firstly I made a base for the coop to sit on, which will be handy if I ever place it on static grass....a tad chunky....

med_gallery_17883_3149_432582.jpgrmweb3299detailing4

plus i managed to superglue the wood not my fingers, which is pretty much a result for me :jester:

and I painted the base, and did the same for the next one

med_gallery_17883_3149_35867.jpgrmweb3300detailing5

then with two more matchstick which i filed as there really were far to chunk, but i still needed some strength for picking the item up..

med_gallery_17883_3149_351947.jpgrmweb3301detailing6

carefully looking at the rest of the picture will give spoilers for future posts.... :nono:...... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

I googled the ark, plenty of choices

single coop small exercise yard, or large exercise yard

single coop raised up above exercise coop,

or go large.....

med_gallery_17883_3149_49229.jpgrmweb3302detailing7

a piece of Halfords repair kit....forthe life of me i have forgotten what this is called, but it has been used previously so a quick look through 300 pages will eventually find it :no:

med_gallery_17883_3149_192780.jpgrmweb3303detailing8

Okaaaay....made a mistake...when i measured.....quick change of approach.....

instead of the wire on the outside which would be easy.....

fiddle about getting it on the inside rather than waster the wire (moi a miser???.....oooh yes)

diligent use of another matchstick...and it works perfectly.....so the measurement was fine...ijust miscalled on the fact the top support would need to be covered

med_gallery_17883_3149_157856.jpgrmweb3304detailing9

so I'll pretend theres is a bit above and a bit below for additional support...my excuse and I'm sticking to it..... :butcher:

• Like 6

Different bases would have developed differently depending on use - most started out in WW2 as a grass field, of course, someone who was RAF at some point will know more than I

attachicon.gifRAF Dishforth.jpg

attachicon.gifRAF Catterick.jpg

Dishforth looks to me as though it was once a bomber base due to the triangle of runways and the perimeter track (which is how Silverstone started out as a race track!)

Catterick looks as though it was always a fighter base having a single smaller permanent runway. 

a quick test on the layout

med_gallery_17883_3149_313265.jpgrmweb3305detailing10

not too shabby.....so I know there's some chickens somewhere.....quick hunt.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_619965.jpgrmweb3306heartbeat1

those chickens are far too shiny will try a matt finish ...otherwise...a repaint.....now i am in to electric light it is very noticeable...

med_gallery_17883_3001_517048.jpgrmweb3307hertbeat2

wow the metal is very shiny, perhaps the pretend plastic stuff might be better.....oooh no....i can't weather it :sungum:

sorry these pictures were already taken.....so were stuck with shine for the moment

med_gallery_17883_3001_383648.jpgrmweb3308heartbeat3

med_gallery_17883_3001_123272.jpgrmweb3309heartbeat4

...you'lll need to excuse me a moment I believe a friend is taking the rise out of my on David Todds...Dover Priory....am about to track him down and strangle him........

edit= ah no he needs a hug....DT said I was his favourite poster.....poor Julian. He should know David is just too polite to say I am his most PROLIFIC poster lol, because I love his thread...and how it moves forward, and we had the chance to see it from it's inception.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Different bases would have developed differently depending on use - most started out in WW2 as a grass field, of course, someone who was RAF at some point will know more than I

Dishforth looks to me as though it was once a bomber base due to the triangle of runways and the perimeter track (which is how Silverstone started out as a race track!)

Catterick looks as though it was always a fighter base having a single smaller permanent runway. 

I need one with helicopter landing areas......several in fact, 3 at least. Must stop buying helicopters. Kal is after all the ones he has flown in. The planes are just because we like 'em.

For the airfield idea. try a google image search for the following. (All RAF bases) Wattisham, Wittering, Conningsby, Croydon, Abingdon, Henlow and Kenley.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others that I haven't even thought about.

It should give an idea of how they have developed and some possible cameos

It's the lack of sleep W.O.W. (World of Warcraft) is far too addictive have been staying up 1, 2, 3 in the morning and when I get up.........going straight back to it, and there are quests u have to do daily. I am remembering the stress of playing this last time. And am thinking it is likely to take up FAR too much time. But have enjoyed levelling my main 3 character. 2 are now 90 and one 88. They were 85s. Still.....it was fun.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I can't complain too much about Civvies trying to park their Airliners on Northolt      ..........................................

.............................     RAF Dishforth was about 7-8[?] miles to the North of Linton-on-Ouse and was used for Married Quaters for student pilots.    .....................    at the time it was not an active airfield, although was available for activating if required in emergency   ................

One fine and clear day [remember those descriptions of the weather.]    ...................   the radio crackled into life [hissed briefly actually - but crackled sounds better...]

"Linton, this is C55 - Join. - Over."
"C55, this is Linton. - Join, clear."

"Roger Linton, request Run-and-break."

"C55, you are clear Run-and break."
There is now a pause in conversation as C55 applies full throttle and accelerates as fast as possible to enter the Airfield airspace, in the knowledge that there are no other aircraft in the circuit [= clear].  

He flies, flat out and low along the right hand side of the runway - until near half-way, then pulls up rapidly and rolls, even more rapidly, until the wings are very near vertical - power off - level at 1.000ft - pull back hard on the stick to very near 6g ...   pop out the air-brakes and watch the world spin round until the Downwind leg is reached  ..  level out rapidly and pop in the air-brakes when circuit speed is reached   .........  set circuit power   ..........................    all very steely and great fun  ................   not to say, all rather smooth  ..    :sungum:  :sungum:

"Linton, C55 - Downwind to land."

"C55 - roger."

Slight pause in conversation while he tidies up the plane and pops the undercarriage down, - [the landing is so much smoother that way] - a bit of Flap to keep safe, flying slowly  -  level with the end of the runway, ease back on the throttle lower the nose gently and start to curve round for that immaculate touch-down   ................   so smooth  ...........      :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

"C55 - Finals, three greens."

...................................        "short hiss"       ....................   "C55, round again."

"C55 Roger."

Curses whichever idiot has got into position to delay his landing and looks for the other clot - without success.  .............  cleans up plane and climbs back up to circuit height keeping lookout for other plane he hasn't spotted yet  .....  

........   gets to downwind and sets plane up for landing again and still no sight of the twit who got in his way    ..............

"Linton, C55, downwind to land."

"C55, roger, ...   can you confirm you are Downwind leg."  ...

Looks down at the airfield   .................   yep there are the Hangars and apron below, spot-on Downwind leg  ...  ........

"Linton, C55 confirm Downwind."

...............................   reaches end of Downwind leg  ....  power down, lower the nose and bank gently for the final turn  ...

"C55, Finals, three greens."

.................................       "C55 this is Linton, are you the aircraft to the North - circling Dishforth ?"

..........................  .........................    ...............................................                             ...........................................

..........................................   "Linton, this is C55  .......    join?"    ..................................................    remember those fine and clear conditions  .........     :jester:

PS. I my defense - looking down on Linton and Dishforth is quite similar    ........................    particularly if you have just been cleared for a Run-and-break into a clear Circuit  .......    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

.............    Eeerrr, what I also missed was that the Pans in front of those hangars were empty, instead of containing 20 - 30 planes   .....    :nono:

Edit - 20 = 30

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2