Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

There is very strict control of any movement on Military Airfields   .....  even cars/trucks  ........

So when you see them with the yellow circle and the numbers.....is that because they are in close proximity? And in a place where ending landing could be hazardous the grass ones...seem to be just vague circles...barely distinguishable to the untrained eye.

AND at Culdrose.....no access to a hanger without crossing he plane strips!!!! :O  :O  :O

Are then then allowed to hop over those? If a plane is coming in that sounds scary....Do you assume they don't have much traffic and traffic control will then advise you can cross the plane strip....or do they just stand out in the middle and go on to somewhere else? Rather than get housed here?

Each set of Heli-pads has a set of Hangers nearby, for storage and Servicing.  There is not normally any need to cross the Runways.  

Pilots will be told which Pad to land on and after that the Helicopter would normally be towed by a small tractor - again under control from ATC. 

Looking at those dramatic pictures with all that dust - that is just ONE of the problems of flying in hot places - the same happens in snowy places too [except it 'aint dust  ...  and it's called "White-out" and very dangerous, 'cause it is impossible to see where anything is]

• Like 3

It is, I believe possible to taxi in a hellicopter, although in a restricted space towing would be better.

I recall watching a helli taxi and actually run part of the runway at Gurnsey airport once. Perhaps that is procidure when there is no pad?

Will Mr Bond and Little Nellie make an appearance? It's close enough to Zollywood for filming :)

• Like 2

Certainly is possible    ............       although type dependent, as some don't have wheels   ...   :O   ..  a frequently used technique is to hover-taxi, a few inches off the ground [wheels or not]  .....   

It is, I believe possible to taxi in a hellicopter, although in a restricted space towing would be better. [1]

I recall watching a helli taxi and actually run part of the runway at Gurnsey airport once. Perhaps that is procidure when there is no pad? [2]

Will Mr Bond and Little Nellie make an appearance? It's close enough to Zollywood for filming :)

[1]. Mostly they are towed when on the ground, as running up a Chopper is quite expensive.  

[2]. Ones with wheels can take off like a normal plane, but simply don't usually do so. Landing elsewhere then taxi to a spot might depend on other traffic moving around the pad, so ATC might tell the pilot to land off and taxi in.  This might be done so as to get the Heli onto the ground quicker and save fuel. [Civvies ..  and money eh?  .. :mosking:  ]

• Like 1

I need one with helicopter landing areas......several in fact, 3 at least. Must stop buying helicopters. Kal is after all the ones he has flown in. The planes are just because we like 'em.

just a couple I found around the net - although there are long shots of them parked on the apron to give the idea.

post-14408-0-47709400-1415028104_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-89292400-1415028113_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-14171400-1415028123_thumb.jpg

The area is full off old RAF bases like next village east of Dishforth is Dalton another airfield now industrial area full of metal fabrication companies.

• Like 5

That sounds strange to me  ..   although I am not saying it didn't happen, of course. You obviously did see what you saw  ...   

Was the cloud cover quite low at these occasions by any chance?  My guess is that the reason would have either been high numbers of aircraft in the vicinity or visibility poor, so ATC would keep tight control on where everyone was.

The helicopters flying to the offshore platforms at Aberdeen and Blackpool follow the same flightpath as the planes and will actually fly just above the runway before turning off to land.  

I have just been watching 2 come into Aberdeen from Oilfields and they poled straight in to near overhead, at 1000 ft and simply dropped in an almost vertical turn from there.

It is quite fun   .....................    if you have B****r all to do  .....    :jester:

http://www.flightradar24.com/#BHL73X/4b9dd51?&_suid=141502850613207141713155864049 

• Like 1

I just watched another one come in from the Rigs  .......    this one was controlled towards Aberdeen but didn't use  the last part of the glidepath, but leveled in the descent when he got to 1.000 ft and flew to the overhead, to descend almost vertically from there.

I noted there were a couple of other aircraft going in or out, so they may simply be being cautious.  ...    :sungum:

• Like 1

That sounds strange to me  ..   although I am not saying it didn't happen, of course. You obviously did see what you saw  ...   

Was the cloud cover quite low at these occasions by any chance?  My guess is that the reason would have either been high numbers of aircraft in the vicinity or visibility poor, so ATC would keep tight control on where everyone was.

I have just been watching 2 come into Aberdeen from Oilfields and they poled straight in to near overhead, at 1000 ft and simply dropped in an almost vertical turn from there.

It is quite fun   .....................    if you have B****r all to do  .....    :jester:

http://www.flightradar24.com/#BHL73X/4b9dd51?&_suid=141502850613207141713155864049 

Kal told me the military pilots have been known to do this sort of thing to newbie passengers...and ones I suppose they don't like.......

• Like 1

I have only ever been once in a helicopter, a tourist one which flew from the end of Blackpool pier, and considering I am scared witless of heights....it was so enjoyable. I sat next to the pilot. Al says from memory possibly a bell ranger but don't hold him to it.  I would have paid to go again had I enough money on me.

And he asked if I was brave enough for him to 'play about' which I agreed to.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

realtime 5 minute delay? I would have thought there would be a LOT more planes up in the air.

• Like 2

I have only ever been once in a helicopter, a tourist one which flew from the end of Blackpool pier, and considering I am scared witless of heights....it was so enjoyable. I sat next to the pilot. Al says from memory possibly a bell ranger but don't hold him to it.  I would have paid to go again had I enough money on me.

And he asked if I was brave enough for him to 'play about' which I agreed to.

......................................................................................                ....................................................                            .....................................................                   Oooooooooooooooooohhhhh!

..........      any-way, that would be very enjoyable   ...   I'm sure  .....     :sungum:

Yes - indeed there are   ............................

realtime 5 minute delay? I would have thought there would be a LOT more planes up in the air.

.....................    LOTS more!    ................................           

I'm not quite sure how the "Flightradar" site works, but my guess would be that it operates from the IFF/SSR [see below] of the Planes on the screen.  This would mean that only Squawking planes will be shown - which means that all the others are not shown  ............      :O

My guess is that all Military codes are filtered out too, as I have never seen one shown

[living where I do would mean that there would be quite a lot of those about, so probably quite a good guess -

Just wait, I will see about 50 tomorrow just to prove me wrong!  ....   :jester:  ..     ]

[IFF/SSR = Identification Friend or Foe/Secondary Surveillance Radar.= As well as the normal reflection from the plane, when this Radar hits the plane, it triggers a reply from a little black box in the plane, which sends back a number to the ground and this number is displayed next to the Maggot representing the plane on the Radar screen in front of the ATC Controller.

The ATC controller will tell the pilot which number to dial into the plane's SSR box [called a Squawk - probably after the noise a Parrot makes as it flies - thus giving its position away very clearly  ..   :jester: ] and this will then show on the ATC screen.  ATC Controller then has proof that the Maggot he thinks he is controlling is actually the one he is looking at on the screen.  It saves mistakes being made, by another Maggot seeming to do what the controller says and keeping his/her attention, whilst the correct Maggot creeps to the edge of the screen and falls off onto the floor - this is very messy indeed, particularly when the tea person comes round and steps on all the abandoned maggots on the floor ...    :jester:

For IFF - the military pilot will be told [several] codes for various parts of his operational flight - which he had best remember very well!!! - At the appropriate part of the operational flight the pilot will dial in the right code [hopefully] - and the military Radar will show the code on the Military Controller's screens - so he shouldn't be shot down as an enemy plane.

I'm not entirely certain that the US military are totally aware of this system!]

• Like 3

Kal told me the military pilots have been known to do this sort of thing to newbie passengers...and ones I suppose they don't like.......

I have to admit to having had a few hair raising moments as a passenger in military helicopters in different parts of the world. They have either been long vertical drops or flying so low that you where below the trees

• Like 2

Next time we meet ask me and i will tell you some helecopter stories. It was my regular method of transport for a few years, but not for conversation here.

Taxi helecopters, very much so on air fields, on purple star we saw squadrons of cobra and sea Knight, taxi one behind another before taking off at camp lejeune

Airheads, not so much, such like locations tend to be drop in, straight out, but then there is no room or time for a taxi and the airspace is less restrictive.

Unfortunately accidents happen, I have been unfortunate to be in the area of two mid air helicopter collisions but thankfully not witness to either.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys.

Stupid things not to do whilst in a military helicopter.

#1 Fall out!!! :O

Well off the rope I was shinning down anyway. Doing a heli drop thing with a 105 light gun on Salsbury plane. Huge bruse to the ego almost as big as the one on my a**s. Big job it was too, a puma I think. The helicopter not my a**s, Anyway it went right to the top of my things not to do twice list. :nono:

Ahh the good old days. Where did they go........ Pull up a sandbag and open the beer :smoke:

Regards LezZ

• Like 3

just a couple I found around the net - although there are long shots of them parked on the apron to give the idea.

attachicon.gifDishforth 1.jpg

attachicon.gifDishforth 2.jpg

attachicon.gifDishforth3.jpg

The area is full off old RAF bases like next village east of Dishforth is Dalton another airfield now industrial area full of metal fabrication companies.

would the yellow line around the squares be do not land on these?

• Like 1

Spot on   .....     :declare:

The yellow lines are the aircraft taxi routing, the yellow squares sometimes you see aux equipment parked within the squares but now always.

The rectangle would have normally been where a Trolley-Acc [small cart with batteries in it] would be placed - far enough away to be safe and close enough to be plugged into the plane for starting.