Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jaz and Kal,

Unusually quiet on here for a couple of days!

Wondered if you were going to Stafford, and if so whether Jaz would be posting more of her wonderful photographs? I can't gt there but it always gives me a great lift to see the images.

Hope you are both well,

Kind regards,

Jock.

I wondered, too, Jock.

Hoping both Kal and Jaz are ok, it would be great if someone could do the honours with the camera as we'll be tied up on Camel Quay though I'll probably try and get a few pics before the doors open. Some of my favourites are there :yahoo: and quite a few layouts I haven't seen yet. It should be a good weekend, especially as quite a few RMwebbers have said they'll pop by.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for something to happen on AV.  :D

• RMweb Gold

According to their forum stats Kal was last active yesterday evening and Jaz this morning... so they're still around and connected to the internet, but it's been a while with no posts. Hope you're both ok.

Maybe saving yourself up for Stafford... Are you going? I'll be there on Friday afternoon assisting arriving exhibitors if I can get rid of the one remaining meeting I have left in my calendar. I'll then be around helping out on Saturday, but won't be able to make Sunday. So hope to see you if you're there, and all the other RMWebbers who may turn up!

Kind regards, Neil

[edit to fix my terrible spelling!]

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 5

Apologies for the delay in responding.

There is nothing serious behind this. However, a few events both on and off forum left me wanting to reflect on how i spend my time in general.

I have had a cold/the flu which has made me generally under the weather. and a small scare with my father, again nothing serious.Simultaneously there was a suggestion that our viewing figures may have been subjected to external interference, and as such I wanted to see how the figures clocked up without our input.

The viewing figures while not important, in themselves, do give us some limited feedback on whether I am talking about a subject that interests people - or not - and we often change from subject to subject based upon on how both views and responses change. . i.e. boring subject....move on! So for me, the suggestion that they may not be correct over the last weekend left me a little uncertain of where to go from there.As It was suggested that our viewing figures had been inflated over that weekend.

With the added distraction of the non rmweb events we decided it was best to sleep on it for a number of days, see how the land lies, and how we feel about it, and meantime monitor the situation, while allowing time for our thoughts to settle, and our non RM challenges to be sorted.

At this time,  those things are still not one hundred percent clear, but rather than leave people to worry, or for Chinese whispers to start, I am posting to let you know there  is nothing seriously wrong. But I am not intending to post too much in the next few days.

I don't want this to be a debating point. There is no need for sympathy cards or White Knights....LOL......as there are no Dragons here to slay.

Thank you for your concern. Whilst welcome, you don't need to worry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

.As It was suggested that our viewing figures had been inflated over that weekend.

Does this mean you have a stalker? Or more correctly, another stalker........? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I think that you with one of those would look absolutely    ......    Cap-it-all, deer chap   .......   although Mrs R says they are Old-Hat   ........   

You would have to change your smoking habits, to a pipe, too   ...........   maybe one of those curved - Kalabash Calabash - ones   .....    :jester:

Hi

I would love a stalker like that, but I think they are probably to deer.

Used to smoke with a curly Briar - not very successfully, as I had an open J2 MG Sports car and many is the time I had to stop in a Lay-by and lean out over the door and drop it from gritted teeth, as it had become Fanned by the breeze and the heat build up had reached the mouthpiece - by which time the Bowl was positively glowing red  ....    :jester:

I bought a Swiss one with a cap, after a bit of thought   ....    :scratchhead:

• Like 3

I think that you with one of those would look absolutely    ......    Cap-it-all, deer chap   .......   although Mrs R says they are Old-Hat   ........   

You would have to change your smoking habits, to a pipe, too   ...........   maybe one of those curved - Kalabash Calabash - ones   .....    :jester:

Used to smoke with a curly Briar - not very successfully, as I had an open J2 MG Sports car and many is the time I had to stop in a Lay-by and lean out over the door and drop it from gritted teeth, as it had become Fanned by the breeze and the heat build up had reached the mouthpiece - by which time the Bowl was positively glowing red  ....    :jester:

I bought a Swiss one with a cap, after a bit of thought   ....    :scratchhead:

I really fancy going back to a pipe. They are so un-cool these days (to the point of nonexistence) that they must be cool. :D

Hal.

• Like 1

Oh deer...oh deer....oh deer.......

no stalker.....

but I have an i...deer

I can't actually decide which deer it is and suspect it is a Rhim Gazelle. Having those straight horns at that angle seems hard to decide.....perhaps the plastic model can't hold the horns to the initially conceived shape

med_gallery_17883_3112_244786.jpg3984

some white...some ochre

med_gallery_17883_3112_125196.jpg3985

some grey

med_gallery_17883_3112_515152.jpg3986

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

some black

med_gallery_17883_3112_424008.jpg3987

rhim deer are not high in numbers, and I doubt you'll see any pipes carved from their horns. :butcher: ...!!!

and I suspect you would be hard to spot them in the wild...so not be able to kill them   :triniti:  for the horn  ....phew......

especially in the twilight.... :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3112_220650.jpg3988

........and LOL I know it never occurred to either of you.....just it fit in with the joke ROFL.....

• Like 7

I really fancy going back to a pipe. They are so un-cool these days (to the point of nonexistence) that they must be cool. :D  Hal.

Yeah

I too gave up on pipes after always riding with one drawing well on my motorbike along laterite roads through West African forests....

until.....

.....I ran into a tree (or vice versa) after hot ash flew in my eyes and I lost a few front teeth.   :nono:

dh

I could do with mine being inflated...

there was a suggestion that our viewing figures may have been subjected to external interference, and as such I wanted to see how the figures clocked up without our input.

The viewing figures while not important, in themselves, do give us some limited feedback on whether I am talking about a subject that interests people - or not - and we often change from subject to subject based upon on how both views and responses change. . i.e. boring subject....move on! So for me, the suggestion that they may not be correct over the last weekend left me a little uncertain of where to go from there.As It was suggested that our viewing figures had been inflated over that weekend.

With the added distraction of the non rmweb events we decided it was best to sleep on it for a number of days, see how the land lies, and how we feel about it, and meantime monitor the situation, while allowing time for our thoughts to settle, and our non RM challenges to be sorted.

At this time,  those things are still not one hundred percent clear, but rather than leave people to worry, or for Chinese whispers to start, I am posting to let you know there  is nothing seriously wrong. But I am not intending to post too much in the next few days.

I don't want this to be a debating point. There is no need for sympathy cards or White Knights....LOL......as there are no Dragons here to slay.

Thank you for your concern. Whilst welcome, you don't need to worry.

That pipe must have been red-hot    ...............

Yeah

I too gave up on pipes after always riding with one drawing well on my motorbike along laterite roads through West African forests....

until.....

.....I ran into a tree (or vice versa) after hot ash flew in my eyes and I lost a few front teeth.   :nono:

dh

to make a Mountain Ash hot enough to spit bits into your eyes   .......    :angel:

..........     riding a Motorbike whilst smoking a pipe, it is no wonder it took the African nations a while to work out that we were not anything more than simple Humans, just as they were  .....    :scratchhead:

I use micro brushes 10 for 1.99£ and they last for ages. I still have the original pack and have had them for like a year. My are still unused.

457-01.jpg

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/10-x-Fine-45701.html

Sorry for the late post, but I caught up on this by accident - do you have a local Hobbycraft store? The reason I ask is that in their painting section they occasionally have Daler 00000 and Proaire 10/0 brushes which are worth searching through to find them - they will VERY rarely be in the proper slot in the selection, and are excellent for small/tiny detail painting

Sorry for the late post, but I caught up on this by accident - do you have a local Hobbycraft store? The reason I ask is that in their painting section they occasionally have Daler 00000 and Proaire 10/0 brushes which are worth searching through to find them - they will VERY rarely be in the proper slot in the selection, and are excellent for small/tiny detail painting

I do and frequent them often for really useful storage boxes etc, as well as paints and brushes.

I prefer and like brushes especially small ones. BUT a micro brush is excellent for specific tasks

1.you can JUST dab the end leaving a small amount of paint

2. they get into small awkward spots usually (not always) avoiding painting things you do not want to paint by accident

3. The end has a sightly bendable neck allowing you some extra technique and control.

A micro brush can in no way replace an actual brush, they require a different technique it is like painting with a sponge floor mop BUT in miniature.

You can easily control the amount of paint available on the end, by moving paint to a flat surface force and carefully dabbing and collecting the right amount of paint.

Brushes are better for larger pieces of work, and short brushes have more control over smaller details.The paint often has 'run up' the bristles putting more paint onto the brush than you need, this does not happen with micro brushes as you can control minute quantities of paint much more easily.

PLUS often my longer thinner brushes often become shorter thinner brushes, some times with angles, as I use them LOL. I wear out brushes at a fast rate, and like the fact I believe i get much more for my money with a micro brush as so far I have pulled the foam off two ends, but in a years page have yet to wear one out.

A micro brush cannot lay on delicate paint like a brush, it lacks the finesse, but it is good for small dabbing. and at this scale it makes them vey useful. I use the fine rather than the bigger ones where a brush is often much better,

Some day I will do a video of how I do this, BUT my voice is high pitched and can sound squeaky.....in my head I have a nice mellow voice....and every time I hear it recorded it makes me wince LOL....and thus I avoid it....

David who has stayed can probably confirm if I get excited and shout at the dogs my voice could break glass........if I had any control over it I would have made a brilliant opera singer.......incredibly few people can reach the high note my vocal cords are capable of.......and the vast majority of them are probably very happy they can't.....and wish on occasion that I couldn't either......ROFL.

For detail work I use Winsor and Newton: 000, 00, 0 and 1 - in sable. they have to be rinsed in *thinner then washed in warm soapy water, rinsed and pointed between the lips, after EVERY use, otherwise paint gets in the ferule and they are ruined. Cost? Around £40.00 for the four.

You could paint the hairs on a tiger with 'em, never mind the stripes!

Jaz doesn't like them.  :no:

:jester:

Hal.

EDIT: Talking of which, it's long past time I did some railway-related detail work!...

* or water, depending on the paint. I use enamel for detail work, mostly.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

Hi Jaz 'n Kal,

in passing, I bought two Gravett's books recently: "Trees" part one and "Grassland" n landscape detailing...

It just doesn't get any better!

Also, I'm having great trouble cutting Wills sheet, my preferred option. Life's a b#gger! :(

Hal.

EDIT: no idea what the relevance of this is.  :no:

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

Hi Jaz 'n Kal,

in passing, I bought two Gravett's books recently: "Trees" part one and "Grassland" n landscape detailing...

It just doesn't get any better!

Also, I'm having great trouble cutting Wills sheet, my preferred option. Life's a b#gger! :(

Hal.

EDIT: no idea what the relevance of this is.  :no:

I alo have trouble cutting Wills Sheets. Some clever (inc Sasquatch) said .....

drill in side the shape you want to remove.

then saw or cut as best you can,

then file carefully to as neat a finish as you can manage.

And some clever even manage to make the inside look really good too........smartarses......HEHE................... :jester: .

The more ideas you look at to model something, the more likely you are to find a way that suits you. I notice different people do use different techniques and come out with very worthy results. The trick is to find a 'good' way that you like and can replicate. :butcher:

For detail work I use Winsor and Newton: 000, 00, 0 and 1 - in sable. they have to be rinsed in *thinner then washed in warm soapy water, rinsed and pointed between the lips, after EVERY use, otherwise paint gets in the ferule and they are ruined. Cost? Around £40.00 for the four.

You could paint the hairs on a tiger with 'em, never mind the stripes!

Jaz doesn't like them.  :no:

:jester:

Hal.

EDIT: Talking of which, it's long past time I did some railway-related detail work!...

* or water, depending on the paint. I use enamel for detail work, mostly.

I do like them, I do own some fine brushes, but I am at heart a cheapskate....and am always looking for ways to get an equally worthy effect with out paying through the nose for them.......LOL.

I am all about least input, maximum effect......At college I was trained by a theatre designer, and she was all about you do the work, make people fill in the detail, then they finish the show and don't store or pack or look after you work ......they throw your work in the bin!!!!!!! So it is all smoke and magic mirrors........

It is why I like 'real' light effects that are dusky....YOUR brain does the work.....saving me the effort........ :drag:

• RMweb Premium

I do like them, I do own some fine brushes, but I am at heart a cheapskate....and am always looking for ways to get an equally worthy effect with out paying through the nose for them.......LOL.

I am all about least input, maximum effect......At college I was trained by a theatre designer, and she was all about you do the work, make people fill in the detail, then they finish the show and don't store or pack or look after you work ......they throw your work in the bin!!!!!!! So it is all smoke and magic mirrors........

It is why I like 'real' light effects that are dusky....YOUR brain does the work.....saving me the effort........ :drag:

My first graphic design tutor was all about "making it really ACE" and not just the current one, the next had to be even better, in other words, really ACE and the department's ethos (seemed more like a motto) was "Be Professional."  So, if anyone wonders why I'm scared stiff of actually starting something, even if I know it's well within my capabilities, or worry that it's not going to be good enough when I've done it, now you know - pressure from those everlasting words, though I wouldn't do without them, extremely motivational.  All this was put into perspective when I saw a well respected artist on TV admitting to having a similar dilemma, and since then by a variety of creative people.  I guess it comes with the territory but if any of you are one of those lucky ones who don't have such fears, hats off to you.

I used size 000 sable brushes back then with designers gouache and have recently treated myself to 000 and 0000 (the smallest the store stocked).  They are "artificial sable" so I'm guessing they are different to the ones I used in the 90s as I don't remember seeing "artificial" on any brushes I bought in those days.  I bought a different make of brush, a while back, but I chucked it in the bin after just a few uses because it kept losing its hairs or a hair or two would stick out at all sorts of angles dolloping paint onto areas where I didn't want it.  I lost patience with it in the end, hence the more recent purchase.

• Like 1

My first graphic design tutor was all about "making it really ACE" and not just the current one, the next had to be even better, in other words, really ACE and the department's ethos (seemed more like a motto) was "Be Professional."  So, if anyone wonders why I'm scared stiff of actually starting something, even if I know it's well within my capabilities, or worry that it's not going to be good enough when I've done it, now you know - pressure from those everlasting words, though I wouldn't do without them, extremely motivational.  All this was put into perspective when I saw a well respected artist on TV admitting to having a similar dilemma, and since then by a variety of creative people.  I guess it comes with the territory but if any of you are one of those lucky ones who don't have such fears, hats off to you.

I used size 000 sable brushes back then with designers gouache and have recently treated myself to 000 and 0000 (the smallest the store stocked).  They are "artificial sable" so I'm guessing they are different to the ones I used in the 90s as I don't remember seeing "artificial" on any brushes I bought in those days.  I bought a different make of brush, a while back, but I chucked it in the bin after just a few uses because it kept losing its hairs or a hair or two would stick out at all sorts of angles dolloping paint onto areas where I didn't want it.  I lost patience with it in the end, hence the more recent purchase.

I'd still go with Kolinsky, Poll.

Part of it is about how much paint is loaded in the body of the hair while it maintains a really fine point; so you don't need to dip so often, just when you are in the middle of that "long, beautifully curved line" that you don't want to break cos the re-start will show a pressure-smudge. 'Make any sense? And they do last a long time if looked after. :)

Hal.

sable was a species of marten usable sourced from Russia where the cold makes for a thicker coat...similar to a ferret. Sables were smuggled out of Russia in order to make Sable coats. I think there has been various films a bout the subject.

There are various 'real' hair from different animals that are considered to be superior. Although there are over lapping opinions over the superiority of the different products. Usually heavily influenced by how good a performance the better artists can achieve with those products.

Real hair is not smooth when seen microscopically, and there fore effects the amount of paint it holds.

The artificial stuff is also considered superior in some circles. Different types of artist wanting different things.

But in the main, the sable is still seen as a superior product across the board. Though some people believe different brushes work better with different based products e.g. gouache, oil, water, etc etc as well as 'natural' colours or 'artificial' ones. 

It is my opinion that people tend to have a distinct preference for the product they learnt on, and many still prefer those products even after they have sourced 'superior' ones. It is indeed horses for courses. Many people, also hope, that using a superior product will fine tune their own skills. 

I tend to go for the Rolf Harris technique, get as big a brush as possible and slap it on as fast as possible.......LOL.