Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Time to RAMP things up..........LOL

med_gallery_17883_3149_98356.jpgmweb3596detailing

the pieces

med_gallery_17883_3149_19930.jpg3597

your meant to wash them, gt rid of th small particles of metal which apparently are not good for your health.....i tend to go directly to paint....

although i do file them if necessary...especially if they need to stand upright

med_gallery_17883_3149_193498.jpg3598

I was planning to calm the blue down and make it look a bit shed out.....but with a thin coat.....i saw the possibilities of just going to weathering

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

The thin paint basically makes it look worn in some places already, and is then done with less paint so lest cost

med_gallery_17883_3149_36679.jpg3599

I've chosen a colour that can be today or yesterday.....so some of the modern health and safety ideas are not on it....in little garages even today

there is not all the hazard markings....

when adding the control box...i placed a man nearby to get the height about right....once super glued you don't want to have to change it :O

med_gallery_17883_3149_312079.jpg3600

and I recoloured the Hornby figure making him a vague blue overalls....I could nick one from the Kalboro area.....but this guy will stand inside the scripps area....

med_gallery_17883_3149_31573.jpg3601

the ramps are upside down drying and will be super glued on later, you can vaguely see the weathering, Citadel Nuln Oil works well here IMO.

It is not too noticeable here, But after painting the control box blue i repainted the handle black, then repainted the top blue.....close up it now looks like a better handle and some shadow where your fingers would go....the camera can't cope unfortunately.

• Like 9

The blue looks the correct colour to me

My uncle owns a garage and bought a new (second hand) lift about 10 years ago - its not that colour now!

Brake dust (careful of asbestos on classic cars - so that's the entire Heartbeat fleet then) oil, road muck, flakes or rust etc all combine to make a good smudgey black coating not unlike on the railway.

Don't forget the mucky hand prints on the control box nor the 12mm spanner (it's always a 12mm on there, no idea why although on heartbeat it's likely to be the imperial equivalent or even whitworth!)

• Like 2

The parts are pretty basic, I think some of our modelling fraternity could make a creditable replica from plastic.....

On the layout using the Bachmann Scripps garage from the Heartbeat series....with the Aidensfield Arms opposite.

first I'll tempt you with....a bit of leg..... :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3001_384282.jpgrmweb3602detailing

and then a little more.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_309739.jpg3603

a quick gander through the window...

med_gallery_17883_3001_1681.jpg3604

FYI I had to clean the window so there was no dust on it...before i could get the focus of the car inside to work.....

I set the ramp low because in these buildings it will be hard to photograph anything much higher

• Like 12

......some frontage...................................................................Scripps frontage!!!!!

although perhaps a little more flesh that one needs to see.....LOL

med_gallery_17883_3001_183890.jpg3605

I need to sort out a proper character, but for the moment these two are having a go..

..........looks more like David!!!! .....inside.......................although that's never Vernon....he never gets his hands dirty.........hehe......

and the ramps....going....up........

med_gallery_17883_3001_390656.jpg3606

med_gallery_17883_3001_110110.jpg3607

• Like 14

I did remove the petrol pump from the fore court, because i did not think it enhanced the picture.....it is back on the layout now

med_gallery_17883_3001_9044.jpg3612

a different car, that has a liftable bonnet
med_gallery_17883_3001_209950.jpg3613

med_gallery_17883_3001_333518.jpg3614

med_gallery_17883_3001_388425.jpg3615

med_gallery_17883_3001_3408.jpg3616

med_gallery_17883_3001_25146.jpg3617
  • Like 12

I am also persevering with the chandelier....although it has almost gone out the window several times.......

the first attempt was way too big.....well the beads were......so more needed sourcing.....my sister in law went shopping found some and posted them to me......brownie points :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3149_373002.jpg3618

the top right was the first attempt with oversized beads

my second idea.....bottom left seemed a good idea using the much smaller beads......but in practice they needed a frame to attach them to. 

The bugles represent the upright candles, the small beads the crystals for the chandelier......

the frame left overnight sparked a different idea

med_gallery_17883_3149_341528.jpg3619

initially i planned to wrap the wire around the u shaped parts.....the wire is tiny and not easily manipulated....I had gone to bed discouraged....

wondering if i could just source ready made ones from a dolls house emporium.....

but the morning I had an idea, I already had the small beads in place, rather than use the wire to wattage the u shapes with the bugles why not just pop bugles on the wire.

At the moment the glue is drying on some, they fall off easy!!!!! So a couple at a time....photos later......

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's definitely looking interesting Jaz. I like the way you show the whole of your process, including dead ends. Makes me feel less discouraged about mine, so I'm trying to do the same on my threads!

I'm keen to see how you plan on lighting the candles though  :devil:

• Like 1

I'm afraid MD won't share her beads     ..................    actually I don't think she has any this small    ......

my fingers are not really dexterous enough, but I thought you might like to look at this idea   .....   

15711229159_5ffdc83585_c.jpg
Chandelier 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It needs a lot of tidying with some tweezers   ....    it could do with  a touch of superglue at the top, too   ....   looks more what the Trotters left behind   ......    :jester:

The chair should have been in front or by the side - perspective made the bench much smaller, but this will give some idea.........

15709960630_72a513c6b7_c.jpg
Chandelier 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

With your more steady fingers, it might be an idea to work on   .........     :paint:

Some beads glued at the bottom of the hooks and more added toward the tips, with maybe the last bit of wire in white for a candle   ..........     :scratchhead:

Edit = spelling

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

That's definitely looking interesting Jaz. I like the way you show the whole of your process, including dead ends. Makes me feel less discouraged about mine, so I'm trying to do the same on my threads!

I'm keen to see how you plan on lighting the candles though  :devil:

lol i won't be lighting them......

BUT.....the copper will be cut above the bugle bead, then the water effect stuff put on the tip. The colour will then show thru a wary effect....hopefully making it look like a flame...I might paint the copper yellow / orange before adding the water effect stuff first, or add orange first then, then some water, then some transparent war. I need to run with the idea, when i get a chance.

• Like 4

I'm afraid MD won't share her beads     ..................    actually I don't think she has any this small    ......

my fingers are not really dexterous enough, but I thought you might like to look at this idea   .....   

15711229159_5ffdc83585_c.jpg

Chandelier 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It needs a lot of tidying with some tweezers   ....    it could do with  a tough of superglue at the top, too   ....   looks more what the Trotters left behind   ......    :jester:

The chair should have been in front or by the side - perspective made the bench much smaller, but this will give some idea.........

15709960630_72a513c6b7_c.jpg

Chandelier 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

With your more steady fingers, it might be an idea to work on   .........     :paint:

Some beads glued at the bottom of the hooks and more added toward the tips, with maybe the last bit of wire in white for a candle   ..........     :scratchhead:

That idea is good, I never thought of it that way, because i just looked at the fools and horse chandelier and tried to copy it, but the wires will end up with a lot in the middle, as I wanted a decent chandelier look, and if I could cut the excess or just make candle holders there would be a use,

If my present idea fails then  i think i will look into yours and cut off the excess wire on the central twist, but it has to be soldered and i think even Kal might struggle to solder such fine work. Which as you say is hard to manipulate.

At the end of the day, almost no one else will go look at the actual chandelier, so i can go outside the box there. so your idea has a serious merit then especially as i can twist the copper, cut 2 or 3 lengths for different heights, and hopefully hide some of the wiring....in fact the further i get to writing this response, the better your idea works...on a generic chandelier. Hmmm. 

The idea is to one side at the moment, as the fiddling part is very frustrating, and i have small modelling pliers hence the flat edges on one of my pictures. 

Getting the characters....only involves finding a tall enough one for Rodney and manufacturing two overalls in a coat fashion. Again almost no one will call me on it.I might even get ones with coats that work already.

Thank you.....makes me come at it from another direction. i will need to step ladders, although might have to use long ladders that can be cut to make those, and some muslin for the cloth for under the chandelier that does not fall. amazing how a simple idea takes up so much time LOL.

Batman and Robin only took a couple of hours once i realised that the pilot could be cut to make a Rodney. And superman would be a doddle now ROFL.

Still lots of silly ideas. Hope to have a skit for Xmas day. so still time to get this sorted. might even get a second one for Boxing day up and running. My Xmas present to friends LOL.

I supp...ose  a Xmas theme ought to be considered......hmmmmm? Father Xmas on the roof top? I have no reindeer for a sled tho.....or a Scrouge? or a....????????? Hmmm Wonder if the H0 could make elves.....oh LOL......lets sort the chandelier first. Or I'll be cutting up assorts, of back to make big dogs with antlers.......... :jester:  :jester:  :jester: Little presents.......ooohh.....ooooohhhh......I have some snow dropped trees....

no no MUST do some serious modelling...........hmmmmmm?........can you get penguins?.......or Xmas lights on a house?.......ok......I think YOU guys should do something fun too......Julian already has a penguin ROFL..........so he could be one step ahead........come on I dare you......an Xmas themed idea...... :tease:  :tease:  :tease: 

• Like 3

I would have thought that  ....................

That idea is good, I never thought of it that way, because i just looked at the fools and horse chandelier and tried to copy it, but the wires will end up with a lot in the middle, as I wanted a decent chandelier look, and if I could cut the excess or just make candle holders there would be a use,

If my present idea fails then  i think i will look into yours and cut off the excess wire on the central twist, but it has to be soldered and i think even Kal might struggle to solder such fine work. Which as you say is hard to manipulate.

At the end of the day, almost no one else will go look at the actual chandelier, so i can go outside the box there. so your idea has a serious merit then especially as i can twist the copper, cut 2 or 3 lengths for different heights, and hopefully hide some of the wiring....in fact the further i get to writing this response, the better your idea works...on a generic chandelier. Hmmm. 

The idea is to one side at the moment, as the fiddling part is very frustrating, and i have small modelling pliers hence the flat edges on one of my pictures. 

Getting the characters....only involves finding a tall enough one for Rodney and manufacturing two overalls in a coat fashion. Again almost no one will call me on it.I might even get ones with coats that work already.

Thank you.....makes me come at it from another direction. i will need to step ladders, although might have to use long ladders that can be cut to make those, and some muslin for the cloth for under the chandelier that does not fall. amazing how a simple idea takes up so much time LOL.

Batman and Robin only took a couple of hours once i realised that the pilot could be cut to make a Rodney. And superman would be a doddle now ROFL.

Still lots of silly ideas. Hope to have a skit for Xmas day. so still time to get this sorted. might even get a second one for Boxing day up and running. My Xmas present to friends LOL.

I supp...ose  a Xmas theme ought to be considered......hmmmmm? Father Xmas on the roof top? I have no reindeer for a sled tho.....or a Scrouge? or a....????????? Hmmm Wonder if the H0 could make elves.....oh LOL......lets sort the chandelier first. Or I'll be cutting up assorts, of back to make big dogs with antlers.......... :jester:  :jester:  :jester: Little presents.......ooohh.....ooooohhhh......I have some snow dropped trees....

no no MUST do some serious modelling...........hmmmmmm?........can you get penguins?.......or Xmas lights on a house?.......ok......I think YOU guys should do something fun too......Julian already has a penguin ROFL..........so he could be one step ahead........come on I dare you......an Xmas themed idea...... :tease:  :tease:  :tease: 

.......................    you might find Tweezers easier to use  ......    but   ......  it is your layout after all   .....      :jester:  :jester:

Ok - back on topic - there is no need for solder for the twisted bit in the middle, a tough of Super-glue applied with a brush will do it - just slide it along from where they spread out towards the top.  ... :locomotive:

PS - I am just off to research another possibility, which might be much easier and better curves to the Chandelier   ........        :declare:

• Like 1

Back from the shop   .....    looking possible    ......     :sungum:

I would have thought that  ....................

.......................    you might find Tweezers easier to use  ......    but   ......  it is your layout after all   .....      :jester:  :jester:

Ok - back on topic - there is no need for solder for the twisted bit in the middle, a tough of Super-glue applied with a brush will do it - just slide it along from where they spread out towards the top.  ... :locomotive:

PS - I am just off to research another possibility, which might be much easier and better curves to the Chandelier   ........        :declare:

....   will see about fitting them when I've picked MD from the School gate.   ......

Garage looks spot on Jaz!! top modelling my mate...

cheers neil..

the Scripps garage is Bachmanns I added nothing to it...just plonked it in place. The Aidensfield Pub building is the same.

The cars are mostly corgis and are all bought. Only the old wooden morris was re-painted by me, to do match a Heartbeat car.

And there are a few kits, again some glue and just painted. So there is no really clever stuff by me for the Ramp it Up. Just several items together, and some careful photography.

Als work on the lawnmower and that is much cleverer.

I did do the PIR landscape, which is why the pavement and guttering is a bit  dodgy.... :jester:

So the real skill was dabbing some paint, 'dressing the area' with bought in items and then some photography......

• Like 5

This is one for all Clumsy Club members   ...............................    to avoid  ......   :O

Back from the shop   .....    looking possible    ......     :sungum:

....   will see about fitting them when I've picked MD from the School gate.   ......

Looking at the bits of bent wire  ........    more reminiscent of Trotter's disaster than a realistic effort     ..................................     I suddenly thought  .......    My brian could do with a rest   ......    and what is more restful than?

................................    fishing ......  so - off I went to the local Bait shop    ........    

came back with some Barbless Hooks [small, Fishing persons for the use of.]   ..................   you see, it struck me that they were a bit like the shape of chandelier arms   .........    so first of all, I tied the eyes together, with the Hooks all facing the same direction   .....   like this

15276884314_61b9779a93_c.jpg
Strung by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Threading the cotton was helped by the application of Superglue     ........     :sungum:    ......   and I only did 4 as a trial to see if it would work   ....   next they were placed is a small hole in a bit of Exp Poly  

15711649658_07e7d321d3_c.jpg
Stuck by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

once arranged [fairly] symetrically   ....    Superglue was drizzled down the centre between the curved bits  .........  to stick the shanks together    .....   and here it is hanging from the ceiling  ...

15873335926_c92a73480c_c.jpg
In the Ceiling by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

So next it was 6 in     ..............      notice they were stuck further in to anchor the hook ends   .....

15899145285_f8087a0923_c.jpg
6 In by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Here they are stuck together    ............    no need to worry about getting them out of the Exp-Poly  .....   Superglue melts it, so the shanks pull straight out    .....    like this

15711835900_48f4984702_c.jpg
6 Out by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The next picture is a bit blurred, but it shows the cotton, which was held straight and a stretch painted with a small amount of Superglue and left to harden   ...   chopped in the glued section, leaves a length of stiff cotton, which is easy to thread  ....    :sungum:

15713103589_772c39924c_c.jpg
Needle by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Enough for one post   .......................   but there is more      ........................      :O  :O

• Like 2

First there were a couple of Trebles wanting to dance  ...    she was slightly shorter than he   .......

[Due to the application of a very strong pair of wire cutters!!]

They approached each other   .......................   Ooooohh  Errr  Mrs  ............   :O   ..............    and pressed their flattened front shanks together   .......     Oooohhh - look away dear!  .....

15897147791_ed16227618_c.jpg
Treble closing in by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It didn't take long for the inevitable " Plunging together into something warm and soft    ...............     :O  :O

15279501343_3dae2f8330_c.jpg
Treble Duet by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and those long lasting consequences of being just too familiar   .........    

they were stuck with each other, like it or not    ........     one might be forgiven [probably not around here!]  ...  for saying they were well and truly hooked on each other   ......    :jester:

15711833890_e1ec65b1cf_c.jpg
Treble Married by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

PS - Clumsy Club members will now understand why I have still got my shoes on  ....   these little blighters may only be 5mm long ..  but discovering the "ones that got away!"   ........       :O  :O  :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a catching up session.

Nice timber, it works well. I note the use of Mr Downes favourite liquid... :jester:

Nice job on the ramps, the colour looks spot on and it fits in well with the Bachmann garage and makes a great scene.

Incidentally those Oxford morris minors do annoy me, the wheels are far too deeply recessed into the wheelarches, it looks all wrong :nono:

Love what you and Julian have done on the chandeliers, as Duncan says, it makes me want to do one, but I've nowhere to use it.

I'm disappointed you're not going to light it though... :D

Great stuff!

Al.

• Like 3

Oh - I don't know  ..........      :scratchhead:

I've just had a catching up session.

Nice timber, it works well. I note the use of Mr Downes favourite liquid... :jester:

Nice job on the ramps, the colour looks spot on and it fits in well with the Bachmann garage and makes a great scene.

Incidentally those Oxford morris minors do annoy me, the wheels are far too deeply recessed into the wheelarches, it looks all wrong :nono:

Love what you and Julian have done on the chandeliers, as Duncan says, it makes me want to do one, but I've nowhere to use it.

I'm disappointed you're not going to light it though... :D

Great stuff!

Al.

..............    how about slightly larger versions for the Christmas Tree   .......    :sungum:

.................................   you could even run fibre optics down the stem to the clear beads     .........    :sungum:  :sungum:

PS. - might be an idea to file the points down on the Christmas Tree versions   ........     :jester:                              ..........................................................                    ...............................   Umm - maybe not  ....... :devil:

• Like 1