Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

C H R I S T M A S       C H A L L E N G E 

Sorry I have not been on, I have had what the doctor today said is a migraine, but it hit me for 6, and my head is still sore. The doctor advised curtail my computer usage until it is gone. I have had it several days, and it finally appears to be clearing, but my eyesight went very dodgy. so reading writing or modelling was not good- I broke TWO items I tried to have a go at, luckily I think they are fixable. so am not busting anything else until my eye hand brain co ordination is better.

............But I am still on for the Xmas challenge.

A 1:72 / 1:76 / !:84/ 00 H0 O gauge or any other gauge all good for modelling a theme connected with Xmas.

Trees, Xmas lights on houses, snow scenes, Xmas skits ref TV programs etc etc. Brownie points for scratch building, initiative, electric, figure work. Figures skating, sking, snowball fighting, anything however tenuous.....or tongue in cheek allowed.

I plan to show mine Xmas day and Boxing day. 

Even the serious modeller can attack this........Xmas presents at the station. Father Christmas on the roof. A lit Xmas tree, a Snow scene, It can be small and funny, and even not the correct gauge for your layout........i.e. check out Credfer's penguin............cheating is allowed the idea must be your work....the work not so much.......get the kids the wife involved   :sungum:  . Ingenuity, originality and downright funny all perfectly acceptable........ooooooooh yesssssss. 

Sorry you've not been well, Jaz.  Hope you and AV are back to normal service soon.  I love this thread, it isn't the same without you.

XMAS Challenge.

I shall have to think of something a bit more exciting than last year's Christmas efforts, then, when Santa visited the Forecourt Grotto at Camel Quay Station at the Prestatyn Christmas Show - despite it being late summer elsewhere on the layout!.  The Grotto later found it's way onto our Christmas cake along with a stuck-in-the-snow coal wagon which had got separated from it's out of sight loco.

Good luck everybody.  :sungum:

But if anyone wants something instant!

Advent Calendar: http://www.Hornby.com/calendar-2014

Christmas calendar wallpaper on Day 1.

Polly

• Like 3

Eeeerrrrr   .....................................    I don't quite think so   .................     :nono:

yours is still in the field, covered in mud........moonshine vodka goes off pretty fast.......

.............   it certainly didn't in good old Nor'n Iron   ............................               .............           .........................................    it was consumed long before it could ever go off  ..........   Eerr - well - so I was told .....    :angel:  .  :sungum:  .  :jester:

Edit  ......    by the Chief Police Officer, of the area I was in  .... ssshhhhhhh  .....    :declare:

Edited by jcredfer

Jaz so sorry to read of your present headachey spell.

All very familiar to those of us hooked on &%££%$ CAD and Photoshop screens.

They say take a break every 45 mins or so, but with deadlines (as well as re-doing silly glitches) I can suddenly discover my eyes superglued into the screen for 5 hours on the trot without a break and it is 3.30 in the morning! :O

I say to younger folks "don't take risks". :nono:

Mebbe take those Dobermans out for a good long frosty ramble in the sun termorra....

:yahoo:

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Could it also be the position that you sit in on the computer which causes tension in your neck?  When I am at work I spend ages in front of the computer but it is nt that which produces headaches.

All the best and I hope you feel well soon, but if not go back to the doctor.

Jaz,

Could it also be the position that you sit in on the computer which causes tension in your neck?  When I am at work I spend ages in front of the computer but it is nt that which produces headaches.

that wasn't helping, i was leaning forward to touch certain buttons.....

the mouse is now LEFT of the computer not in front, and i need to sit up straighter.

It is slowly getting better.

The good news is my mind has been working out a Xmas scenario......Pickwick style.......Need to get it in gear before end of the month of course.....

There might be a little preview later today....which will give the game away anyway.....but the work to get it look good will still need to occur.

And I can noe string a senace sentence together...........

• Like 6

Hi Jaz, Sorry to hear you've not been well, your eye's are very precious so please look after them and rest them, Dee's always telling me I'm on here to much, hahah.

Hopefully you will be back to normal soon, and before you ask, NO :O  I am not modelling to be your Snowman for your Christmas Challange. :no:  :no: :no:  

• Like 1

I was reading this and, until I thought about it I was    .............................

that wasn't helping, i was leaning forward to touch certain buttons.....

the mouse is now LEFT of the computer not in front, and i need to sit up straighter.

It is slowly getting better.

The good news is my mind has been working out a Xmas scenario......Pickwick style.......Need to get it in gear before end of the month of course.....

There might be a little preview later today....which will give the game away anyway.....but the work to get it look good will still need to occur.

And I can noe string a senace sentence together...........

going to tell the story about a Typewriter Mechanic who was called to correct a fault on a well famous make of Typewriter, which kept adding unwanted spaces.     ............          

When he got there he examined the machine and took various components out to check them, but couldn't a single fault or misalignment.  Baffled he thought it might be the typist's abilities at question so he asked if he could watch her type for a while.

For quite a while he watched, but her fingers were totally faultless at the keys.  Suddenly he said to her, "I think I may have seen where the machine is at fault, if you would like to take a short Tea Break, I can probably fix it while you do.."

She did so and came back a while later, to be asked to try again.  The machine worked perfectly thereafter.

The lady thanked him and carried on working totally unaware that he had placed 4 x blocks of wood on the legs of her chair, thus raising the seat just far enough so her ample upper anatomy could no longer press on the Space Bar, when she leaned forward to check her typing.

.....................   but I, quickly, realised that I couldn't tell a tale like that in the modern PC world   ........   I am sure you will understand and forgive the ommission   .............     :dontknow:

Edit - poor typing    ..........    [no I didn't lean forward to check the Computer Screen  ...   but then, you wouldn't know why that comment might be appropriate  ...   :nono:  ]

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

Jaz,

I raised my monitor at work by about 4 inches which has helped me, 

i sometimes get a stiff neck if I'm using a laptop a bit too much, laptops are a compromised design, the monitor is too close to the keyboard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought but you haven't switched to a cheaper brand of Irish cream liqueur lately Jaz?........ 'cause that'll do it!

Only kiddin' of course.  Hope it all goes away quickly and you feel better soon.

I like this Xmas challenge idea. Light bulbs coming on all over the place. (edit: no pun intended)

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jaz,

I used to be the H&S rep in our office and got involved with assessing comfort/safety when operating computers and other display equipment.

This may help - see bottom of page 2, through to p4 for comfortable setup.

Cheers,

Mick

I was reading this and, until I thought about it .... I, quickly, realised that I couldn't tell a tale like that in the modern PC world   ........   I am sure you will understand and forgive the ommission   .............    

Edit - poor typing    ..........    [no I didn't lean forward to check the Computer Screen  ...   but then, you wouldn't know why that comment might be appropriate  ...   :nono:  ]

Are you inferring that you were perched on a laptop at the time?

dhig ( p.p. Sid the Sexist)

Morning Jaz,

Truly hope the health issue is resolved soon - most major companies now pursue H&S recommendations for time at the keyboard and RSI has become a costly issue as well. As mentioned by other caring members above, do take care to have regular breaks! My son-in-law and grandson both suffer from migraines and it looks to be a terribly debilitating illness so I hope your doctor comes up with a solution soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

OK some pictures.....we won't say just HOW MANY.. :O

new piece of PIR to go above Kalboro Station

med_gallery_17883_3493_46513.jpg3620

a week used sanding block, originally 10 for £1.00 for Welcos probably

med_gallery_17883_3493_223654.jpg3621

the width is a bout right for a road

med_gallery_17883_3493_422822.jpg3622

the houses on top....and the give away dust

med_gallery_17883_3493_201224.jpg3623

putting the dust on is not necessary it does it all by itself...... :jester:

oh and when you no longer want it on just brush it off.....into a bin bag.....

• Like 7

extend the idea and make sure the roads are not too straight.....which actually is rather easy... :butcher:

med_gallery_17883_3493_217616.jpg3624

decide where to put the roads....

med_gallery_17883_3493_400373.jpg3625

put some colour to define it and check your happy with how its going

med_gallery_17883_3493_34840.jpg3626

add the roads as it seems ok

med_gallery_17883_3493_81790.jpg3627

• Like 4

Hmm..    :drag:

Here was me, thinking it was the start of your Pickwick wotsit,snow scene...............

No snow, was the giveaway, on the rooves.

wait til you see the mess sanding the PIR makes.....they'll be snow a plenty........

Just not enough snow to cool the roofs down and settle yet  ...   as built in time before enough loft insulation  ....   and still not insulated - due to a severe shortage of PIR, caused by mass purchases near to Spalding  ...    :jester:

Hmm..    :drag:

Here was me, thinking it was the start of your Pickwick wotsit,snow scene...............

No snow, was the giveaway, on the rooves.