Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

trialling different buildings before i cut more PIR

med_gallery_17883_3493_126216.jpg3664

OH and when you have the stuff finalised and you have been bashing it around, to strengthen it ...even if painted....add a layer of PVA will straighten it :sungum:

the kerb looks rough at present...but will be improved

med_gallery_17883_3493_13309.jpg3665

the edge needs scoring and painting of course

med_gallery_17883_3493_356023.jpg3666

and i also added some thinned black paint for the gutter edges, as everything else gets done these will blend in

med_gallery_17883_3493_356023.jpg3667

• Like 5

Re the Fish hooks

By request from:-

Salisbury H&S Dept.

Sachmo House

Extended Drivepast

Old Sarum

Don't forget to ask Kal to take a file and dress those sharp tips back - those hooks catch anything and just stick in from almost any angle, they are so sharp.  Even if they are pressed against the finger sideways, they will catch and any attempt to remove them digs them even further ........     

Just a little filing across the tip will make them less sharp and much more docile.

• Like 1

Re the Fish hooks

By request from:-

Salisbury H&S Dept.

Sachmo House

Extended Drivepast

Old Sarum

Don't forget to ask Kal to take a file and dress those sharp tips back - those hooks catch anything and just stick in from almost any angle, they are so sharp.  Even if they are pressed against the finger sideways, they will catch and any attempt to remove them digs them even further ........     

Just a little filing across the tip will make them less sharp and much more docile.

gooood point....excuse the pun ;p

Jaz

As I've said many times to Andy P, please don't do too much. (One of these days I'll listen to my own advice).

This is a hobby and should be enjoyed. Lives aren't in danger if we don't complete what we want to  so there should be no stress involved either.

The standard of your work and new ideas are amazing, but please take things easy

Hi Jaz

Sorry to hear about you not feeling well just recently, but very glad your feeling better now. Just try and relax a bit more, after all it's only a hobby. I can understand though, with your thread and all it's followers, that I should imagine it comes to a point that you feel if you don't post some progress then you feel as if your letting everybody down. If I'm right, then don't feel that way because we know how amazing your modelling is and if you need a break we will all understand that. Don't worry we're all still be here waiting patiently when you get back. You can't get rid of us that easily.

Take care for now.

Regards

Marcus.

• Like 1

Attacking a small part comprehensively does I think give you more awareness of achievement. Otherwise the surrounding area just screams not done....not done. So doing small area for the moment I think is a good idea.

I really sympathise with your hands, Sasquatch and I have had this conversation. My hands can become painful. I wassailing with them like rolled up fists. The doctor said it is causing problems similar to carpel syndrome squeezing the wrists. He sent me to appliances they gave me hand restraints ..yeah LOL I can see the eyes light up ;p.....they are to wear at night and help break the habit...and it is working. My hands are better in general.

But I am giving myself RSI too, especially using a basic mouse, but being left handed makes finding a decent right handed mouse really difficult. Al and the boys can share and swop purchases if they find they don't like them. And though I could buy one am concerned it would be aware if i don't get on with it....Kal says buy one and try...and I must.

I think there is also a possibility with my left them that I might have arthritis. I was border line rheumatoid arthritis several years back. It encouraged me to lose weight as the doctor said that would help

Jaz - can recommend a Logitech trackball - I cant give you the number but it is the one with the ball central and used with the fingers - NOT the one that has the ball off-centre to the left that Microsoft do - I have a built-in tremor in my right thumb, (and you should see the cursor dancing around the screen when I try to use one of those), with the Logitech the hand rests on it and the ball iscontrolled with the fingertips with virtually no movement of the hand -

it also has dual buttons on each side, and I believe their use can be swapped - left click for right click for people of the "sinister" persuasion if they prefer it that way mine came from Maplin, but they are available on ebay too This is the one - eBay item number: 310947114373

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Jaz - can recommend a Logitech trackball - I cant give you the number but it is the one with the ball central and used with the fingers - NOT the one that has the ball off-centre to the left that Microsoft do - I have a built-in tremor in my right thumb, (and you should see the cursor dancing around the screen when I try to use one of those), with the Logitech the hand rests on it and the ball iscontrolled with the fingertips with virtually no movement of the hand -

it also has dual buttons on each side, and I believe their use can be swapped - left click for right click for people of the "sinister" persuasion if they prefer it that way mine came from Maplin, but they are available on ebay too This is the one - eBay item number: 310947114373

will it be okay for a south paw? i.e. I'm left handed. ;(

Yes, That was why I recommended that particular model -with the ball fitted on the mid-line the fingers should rest naturally on the top and your thumb should rest on the right hand button, and, if you switch the buttons, your thumb should naturally do the left click with the right-hand button. Unlike with a mouse, the hand doesn't need to move to roll it about - the fingers simply roll the ball. Occasionally I lift the ball out and remove any fluff that has appeared inside - you will know when this is needed by the cursor becoming difficult to move. Read the description on the ebay page which will explain it better than I can

Edited by shortliner

Yes, That was why I recommended that particular model -with the ball fitted on the mid-line the fingers should rest naturally on the top and your thumb should rest on the right hand button, and, if you switch the buttons, your thumb should naturally do the left click with the right-hand button. Unlike with a mouse, the hand doesn't need to move to roll it about - the fingers simply roll the ball. Occasionally I lift the ball out and remove any fluff that has appeared inside - you will know when this is needed by the cursor becoming difficult to move. Read the description on the ebay page which will explain it better than I can

Thank you, I will check it out, I like the bit about the hand placement, do you think it will be the the same for  smaller womans hand?

oh and i really appreciate the effort you made to help  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

I would think so - it is roughly 6.5" long and 3.5" wide - the ball is 1.5" diameter. I have smallish hands and I adapted to it very quickly and have used one for years - even when I was working ten years ago I used one on my computer then - a different model of course!

Edited by shortliner

Sorry to hear about the pain, Jaz.  Hope it gets better!  I remember complimenting a client once on her mouse which seemed to work just by waving her hands over it.  "It's because I have crippling carpal tunnel syndrome," I was told.  Collapse of stout party.

Love the town scenes above. It's great to see layouts where this side is as developed s the railway.

This is a hobby and should be enjoyed. Lives aren't in danger if we don't complete what we want to  so there should be no stress involved either.

Heretic ;)

continuing...

meantime back to the cobbles

med_gallery_17883_3493_229077.jpg3670

the cobbles are a flat surface cut some dark paint between the lines and some yellow moss

first off get a flat screw driver and tart to make the cobbles lean, more often than not when you look at old real ones the cobbles are no longer flat

med_gallery_17883_3493_507424.jpg3671

med_gallery_17883_3493_279068.jpg3672

add more greens

med_gallery_17883_3493_49172.jpg3673

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

put the buildings back in place, and start to build up the surrounding area

various pictures with focus in different places to check it works

med_gallery_17883_3493_197306.jpg3674

through the gap you see the town beyond and the small market area that will be worked on later

med_gallery_17883_3493_131830.jpg3675

meantime the surrounding surface of the cobbles is coloured with some of the colours on the cobbles in more subtle amounts 

med_gallery_17883_3493_575696.jpg3676

and the darker green represents weeds rather than moss

these colours are reflected in the pots, they had the same green added to pull them into each other

med_gallery_17883_3493_351807.jpg3677

and to the left the buildings have some of the green added hiding the fact they are just plonked on

the numerous angles allow me to consider how well the cobbles are progressing

• Like 6

the layers of colour as washes are built up slowly overlapping but not every where every time , giving an ages patina, of wear and tear and dirt.

med_gallery_17883_3493_269583.jpg3678

the white building particularly looks bare 

med_gallery_17883_3493_624310.jpgrmweb3679

a picture taken hiding this area for the moment looks much better imo

med_gallery_17883_3493_279999.jpg3680

• Like 8

the people were added to get the view...

but now i add more detailing, everything that the eye looks at give more information....and as long as nothing stands out like a sore thumb....it builds up the picture

med_gallery_17883_3493_559454.jpg3681

The dogs apparently have been let out by the pub owner, in his experience his customers often fail to use the toilet and pee outside, especially after closing time....

there fore his two dogs sniffing the pot plant and the tree will not be any worse...... :jester:

• Like 8

med_gallery_17883_3493_447213.jpg3689

I have added some foam greenery to fill the gaps where the police house sits, and you see part of the courtyard

then just a roof tops, looking further back. at the very back is a two lane railway track, all in depth of 4ft 3in 1220+75mm

med_gallery_17883_3493_374237.jpg3690

• Like 4

fans of inspector morse should recognise this car

med_gallery_17883_3493_329003.jpg3682

a figure in time will accompany this car when it appears on the layout

med_gallery_17883_3493_60025.jpg3683

the building to left was sunk, and greenery used to fill any gaps, 

the white wine bar just has the same greenery pushed up against it. So if you don't fancy cutting the PIR incase you want to change buildings around

this is in my opinion a reasonable compromise.

I plan to put a shadow beside the drainpipe on the pilothouse, getting rid of the poor paint work where the white on the downpipes has gone onto the brick work.

med_gallery_17883_3493_182420.jpg3684

the frontage has not been touched, and yet with the sunk building far left and the greenery to the side, the rhs of the white wine bar does not noticeable 'float' any more

• Like 5