Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

so basically it does not take that much work to get a more polished finish, on a street scene....especially with ready to plonk buildings. Choosing those that work well together helps, then small steps pull it together.

med_gallery_17883_3493_217616.jpg

Adding curves tends to look more realistic, as older roads grew up over time, and were much more narrow than modern streets

med_gallery_17883_3493_196756.jpg

nowadays many of these roads are reduced to one way streets to accommodate the much larger vehicles we drive today

med_gallery_17883_3493_182420.jpg

and in some towns the really old stone paving is often not neat perfect squares/rectangles having been cut by hand.And cracks where heavy vehicles have run over them are all too apparent.

med_gallery_17883_3493_343188.jpg

and all the people on this scene have had shadows added, so they blend into the scene

med_gallery_17883_3493_278328.jpg

• Like 10

Morning Jaz,

You must be feeling a bit better - what a phenomenal work rate and that's just the photography! Sorry but I haven't looked in for a couple of days and so I've added loads of ratings! Superb work as ever, I'm sure you are giving lots of modellers inspiration!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Love the snowy scene in the top photo.

You've made a lovely job of the town scene, one or two of the photos on the previous page are really hard to distinguish from the real thing.

Clever old you, even with headaches and recalcitrant hands you turn out the most amazing stuff.

Al.

the static of the fine dust when you sand the PIR does the job for you.... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: ...really smug face.....and it will brush off after Xmas.

The 'clever' bit is ensuring that you can make the layout multi purpose, we'll see later how successful i am at that when i put the station in place of the houses at the back and you see the trains run through.

I study pictures of the real thing, and see how my models don't look right.

How the figures were too bright, shadows are so important.

The buildings also need dulling down.

The extras. Julians photos were also very useful.

• Like 2

Are you still looking for vignette items around the Market square there    ......    I have been to Salisbury a couple of times and have a few shots of the Christmas build up    .....

In the Market place I caught a couple of "Right 'Owlers"    ...........

16012267215_10fa9e3d4e_c.jpg
People 'owled with delight at these by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

They were really beautiful      ..................................     and not at all     ..................................    stuffed stuffy      ......................     the big one got his feathers all in a "Tizz-was" when he saw the camera

15824881588_3cb84aa2a3_c.jpg
see they moved by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and a few more buildings me and my Dad built a couple of years ago   ......

Do you fancy a trip to the cinema    .........

16013638875_7accf77c1f_c.jpg
Cinema by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

In the old City Hall   .........    :O  ..........................    mind you the films are a bit old and dusty   .............    :jester:

a bit closer for some detail  .......

16011686161_a0dc2521da_c.jpg
The old town hall by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 6

Aaaahhh   .......   yes well   ..........................

I wouldn't like to say I drink too much wine   ........................................    [well you wouldn't want to admit that either  ...   :jester: ]  ......................    however   ......

...........................    when my weekly wine orders were placed   ...........................   the shop went straight to Halfords to order a new bike for their delivery boy  ................

15826193319_dc1b3fcc59_c.jpg
Fancy a Drink? by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

He still has a little difficulty with the hill on Castle road ........................... :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

so basically it does not take that much work to get a more polished finish, on a street scene....especially with ready to plonk buildings. Choosing those that work well together helps, then small steps pull it together.

med_gallery_17883_3493_217616.jpg

Adding curves tends to look more realistic, as older roads grew up over time, and were much more narrow than modern streets

med_gallery_17883_3493_196756.jpg

nowadays many of these roads are reduced to one way streets to accommodate the much larger vehicles we drive today

med_gallery_17883_3493_182420.jpg

and in some towns the really old stone paving is often not neat perfect squares/rectangles having been cut by hand.And cracks where heavy vehicles have run over them are all too apparent.

med_gallery_17883_3493_343188.jpg

and all the people on this scene have had shadows added, so they blend into the scene

med_gallery_17883_3493_278328.jpg

Even the sky looks over cast!!!

Well done, it looks great

Where is your scale Christmas tree and lights?   Here is something to put on top of it.      :angel:

PJ

• Like 1

I once met a young and pretty lass   ................

but  ...  

she was only a fishmonger's daughter

and had Crabs on her Plaice, poor Sole

:O

Don't flounder jc

A dab here and there will eel her poor sole.

But when you buy some of that stuff to dab her with, be careful, there are some sharks out there.

Happy Christmas --- Join the Carol singers   :rtfm:   :rtfm:   :rtfm:  :rtfm:   :rtfm:

PJ

• Like 2

I have some hopefully clever ideas up my sleeves for the xmas lights etc. If only half of them work I think they'll be some half decent results, I will be raiding my make up, my jewellery, the glue, the tricky tacky...and anything else that creeps into my mind.....I might even get Kal to do some real lights LOL

• Like 3

Wish i had you to do my townscene, which I'll get round to...eventually.  Work of art that Jaz.  Hope you're feeling better now?

Dave

"All Inclusive" weekends can be arranged, depending on your  palette....... @ A.V.,   you have to be "vetted first", as it includes lot's of dog walking..... :jester:

• Like 2

I thought I might try fishing around in this street

15826135259_4f77e641e5_c.jpg
Taster by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Don't flounder jc

A dab here and there will eel her poor sole.

But when you buy some of that stuff to dab her with, be careful, there are some sharks out there.

Happy Christmas --- Join the Carol singers   :rtfm:   :rtfm:   :rtfm:  :rtfm:   :rtfm:

PJ

BUt even the Fish shop in Fisherton Street had assumes a different guise  .......

15826418197_eede3a5b1b_c.jpg
Alright then by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

But what a tempting shiny tiles look to the shop front  ....   not many of these still surviving ...   [thus tempting half a million replies.]   .......   I wonder what else could be sold in such a quirky looking shop ..   :scratchhead:  ....  

• Like 5

BUt even the Fish shop in Fisherton Street had assumes a different guise  .......

But what a tempting shiny tiles look to the shop front  ....   not many of these still surviving ...   [thus tempting half a million replies.]   .......   I wonder what else could be sold in such a quirky looking shop ..   :scratchhead:  ....  

Am ahead of you J.      Christmas prezzies.

I have some hopefully clever ideas up my sleeves for the xmas lights etc. If only half of them work I think they'll be some half decent results, I will be raiding my make up, my jewellery, the glue, the tricky tacky...and anything else that creeps into my mind.....I might even get Kal to do some real lights LOL

Hi Jaz

Don't forget the glitter!

I thought Christmas things should be in your stockings, not up your sleeve      :nono:     :sarcastichand:

Have a nice Christmas

PJ

Edited by model-trains
  • Like 2

Be careful JC

Some people get hooked with the shopping bug!   

PJ

• Like 2

There was definitely a chilly wind about    .............

So some nice warm Chestnuts  ....

15409240023_5e492b358b_c.jpg
Time for a hot Chestnut by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and a wander to the Christmas Market   .....

15841476138_6c0aec9618_c.jpg
The Christmas Market by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

To seek out this little Gem  .......

15841471758_9547c8d5dd_c.jpg
A warming Sniffter? by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Maybe I could borrow the Wine Dealer's Tricycle to get it all home    ...    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Oh  ...  Oh ...  wait   .............  you wanted signs as well as the Market    ........    back later    .....

• Like 3

You never know what might turn up next in the Christmas Market      ...........................   I was just on the way to get some of those signs in the viewfinder   ....

..   not that the camera has one of those  ................    a viewfinder, I mean       ..........    it just has one of those screens   ....   you know the ones,    .....      they pull out at at bottom edge and tilt upwards     .....    so you can keep the camera low and still see what you are aiming at   .....    it even goes vertical, so it faces the other way   .....    which is pretty useless, because you can't see the screen then    ....    unless you are one of those Pop persons with a huge ego  ....   or a teenager, that thinks the world wants to see a picture of the dinner they just cooked  ....  [well heated up in the packet]  .....  along with a distorted image of their latest outburst of acne   .........    in which case you would be on the front side of the camera   .....   where you could see the image on the screen  .....   which incidentally, pops upside down  ....   relative to the screen, that is   .........   which is upside down by now anyway   .........   which is very convenient if you just happen to be one of the aforementioned persons   .....   as 2 x upside-downs make an up-right?   .........   so it is easy for that class of ego seeking - Selfie taking   ...................     :scratchhead:      ............     Oh  ..  Err    .....     :scratchhead:     ...............     

..........................   that means I have purchased a Selfie facilitated Camera    .....    :fool:   .......

Anyway  ....  as I was saying  ...   I was on the way to click some signs   .................    when round the corner was a Merry little Troop   ......    dancing away for Charity   .............

16028900935_ee2a2dd43e_c.jpg
A dance is energetic by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.....    now then - dear readers - a closer look might give away a little more about this cheery lot   .....     take a Gander at the delicate[?] footwear   .........   

and this one was "Right Frisky" too     .....................

16028240552_f413f5882b_c.jpg
A bit frisky, this one by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Only hitched up her skirt and suggested, that she was the best offer I was going to get all day    :maninlove:       ..........       :friends:   ................     .........................  must think I'm a Matelot or something  .. :nono:

15841488328_7d4ebb6a85_c.jpg
Beware this one by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Time to duck and run to find those signs   .............    CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Edit - Note to Jaz   .....   I suppose it doesn't have to be a circus for those entertainers.

Edited by jcredfer