Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Had a great time at Newark meeting several members for the first time.

Including Trains12 and his great layout Glen Gillie.

As well as long established friends prior to coming to RMweb who we have never met before in person Julian/JCredfer, dt/Doverferries, Richard Johnson and his associate Peter. We had a great time, and a great laugh.

Also saw some work and people I have not had the pleasure to deal with before, I was very impressed with several layouts and the helpfulness of several sellers. Wowed by David Wrights work in the flesh, one of his small dioramas a lovely water scene was specifically of interest

med_gallery_17883_2781_971137.jpg

I also got to see Stubby47's caravans in the flesh on Diesels in the Duchy. I was seriously impressed.

Charlie Petty who is always entertaining to talk to, and his very useful demonstration of the importance of correct speakers and sound boxes. Anyone interested in sound should see this demonstration

Also thanks to Ian Bishop as informative as ever regarding ESU and sound. And to the many other people whose names we have missed but who made this show so enjoyable.

A special thanks to dt and J two particular friends who made a special effort to meet us at Newark and made our weekend immensely enjoyable.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Aaww shucks  ........   :pardon:

Nothing to the privilege you two have given with allowing me to see and learn from the tremendous achievements shown here on your Layout  ..........   :sungum:

I know others will have benefited too.  May you both continue to enjoy the results of your energy and skills.

J

Edited by jcredfer

These two building were weathered using several colours two of which were modelmates mud brown and oil brown on the windows and door, the black on the bricks and roof were done using dcc concepts weathering powders.

med_gallery_17883_2760_48383.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2760_1027830.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2760_78964.jpg

• Like 4

Awoke this morning,missing the sounds,of your,"steel capped-toed" dogs,tap dancing,their way down the tiled floor hallway.

Meanwhile........ back  at the butcher's shop,  down saffh...don't panic. 

I maybe, the only person (outsider) to have seen the layout,under reconstruction,this last week end,while staying with you both and also visiting the Model Rail show,on both days.

I now fully understand,the size, concept and committed undertakings,you both have, that I did not really grasp,from all of the photograhs,you have displayed,on this forum and elsewhere.

I thank you both for your hospitality and friendship shewn .........

P.S........please have your wall clocks fixed.......time passed ever so quickly there......... :O .

• Like 2

Hi Both,

Mini Driver likes the Graffiti  ..................................................  Guess what she wants now?  ............................................................................      Thanks  .........................    :sarcastic:

Have you been having nightmares about your first Drill Instructor?  ......................................       :swoon:

J

Sasquatch

Thank you, yes I admit to have been an art student, although I was on a 3D course with a lot of technical drawing there was still a substantial amount of arty farty fun, pottery, photography (don't miss the developing at all), woodwork (our technician had the tip of 3 fingers missing - always remember to push your wood across a saw with a second piece of wood and not your hand!!!!) life drawing our tutors made sure we got male and female nudes  :D  Jewellery making,Psychology (immense fun) and field trips to Paris and Rome. We mixed with a number of the other art students which is where my love of bright colours come from. The 'dressmaking' students were usually the most outrageous......I say usually.............

• Like 1

dt           post 584

The pleasure was mutual, and all we can say is time flies when your having fun. The repartee was highly amusing. 

Kal was surprised no one asked you for an autograph......we should have made you wear a football top  :P

Edited by Jaz

Completely OT, but what I remember of the drill staff at Sandhurst was that they were sadists, but in a most humorous manner. How I laughed when sent on a show parade to show dust removed from beret only to have to reshow because I had removed the dust but not kept it for the CSgt to look at.

Anyway, worst sound in the world isn't the treble soled, heeled & tapped ammo boots coming down the corridor. When truly on my chinstrap even that wouldn't wake me. It's the three or four little dinks as a striplight fires into action at 0-my-God-it's-early...

Edited by C&WR

Julian

Again fantastic meeting you at Newark, so close to the air museum - shame we could not have you give us a tour - although after some of your stories I doubt I would get in any plane you piloted!!!!!!!!

If you have a desire for a specific bit of graffiti, do give me a pm. Have started a scooby doo mystery bus, need to make time to sort the decals. How I can make a 00 gauge scooby is anyones business

edit= C&WR not   :offtopic:  at all as the RAF (J) and forces (et al) jokes do gravitate to us LOL. I think a resurrection of the old RAF jokes are sure to see a deja vu here 

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

woodwork (our technician had the tip of 3 fingers missing - always remember to push your wood across a saw with a second piece of wood and not your hand!!!!)

Yep!

I`m interested to know how you came up with the name of your layout. There's an Arboretum down the valley!

• Like 1

We have a real Arboretum, and Kal says we should put a river down the centre - hence the cove at the end. So if theres a river it has to be in a valley. Plus when I was drawing the back ground I drew a bunch of trees, and was making my own trees. The larger trees including the womping willow are home 'grown'

If you look at the new autumn thread I have posted a few pictures

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76468-autumn-pictures/

• Like 1

Hi

My other hobby is trees. we have a collection of over 400 species/sub species from around the world and have hand planted in excess of 4000 trees in the garden over the last 10 years. As I got older and the knees gave out, so I decided 1 76th scale trees required less physical exertion. 

Regards

Kal

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We have lots of trees too. One of our madrones is huge and worth a lot of money in timber and some of our firs are getting on for over120'.

Mrs sasquatch made about 160 trees for Goathland. There is only one she didn't and thats the cedar next to the water tower which was donated by Don of Medford model railroad club. He's the tree king and I'll be putting a thread all about thier layout on RMweb when time permits.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

Marones...sweet chesnut? Castanea sativa. Wow you will be popular at Xmas. We have a few but I don't like the taste don't use them in stuffing or roast them. Our biggest is only 15ft. And in this country will never get as big as yours. We do have a couple that are red all year round though.

We have four Cedrus libani, Cedar of Lebanon we will never see them mature.

We have multitudes of different kinds of poplars, willows (no river to dangle them in only ditches) oaks, and maples. Many of the Japanese maples struggle. Although the American ones do reasonably well. We even have a pecan (one of five that we grew from our Xmas nuts) that continues to survive, though it is not big only a couple of feet.

We have natives around the edges with hedging then specimens inside. We also have a whole host of fruit and nuts trees. Almonds, Walnuts (eventually) Hazelnuts, cobs (if we get pecans I'll be amazed) and apples, pears, plums, mulberries, de nancys, greengages, quince, medlars (never ate one and as you have to let the frost rot it first not likely to) asian pears, crabapples (needed if you want cider) sloes (for gin) seabuckthorne berries (very now in top restaurants) peaches (the best crop got stolen!!) cherries (the birds always eat them first) theres more but I cant think of them we also have berries, blackberries particularly LOL and rhubarb whitecurrents redcurrents blackcurrent and some hybrid x with raspberries and logans. A walk in the autumn invariably means a free meal.

Will look forward to you showing the making trees..Mrs Sasquatch is your perfect partner. Lucky man.

Hi,

We only had one Willow tree  .......................   sniff   ........................   and it was only 5' 6"    ...........................    until this 

9920168506_dbfbaf01e2_c.jpg
Image065 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

arrived     ................................................    oh yes at just that size too  .......................  when  ......

apparently got hungry during the day  ........................................................  the stump was a mere 6"   ...........................   :cry:

He then started on the 40' eucalyptus  ................................  we had to chop that down, as it is poisonous to dogs and made his digestive system  ...   well we had best not go there  ....  :no:   ............................  

J

• RMweb Gold

Marones...sweet chesnut? Castanea sativa. Wow you will be popular at Xmas. We have a few but I don't like the taste don't use them in stuffing or roast them. Our biggest is only 15ft. And in this country will never get as big as yours. We do have a couple that are red all year round though.

We have four Cedrus libani, Cedar of Lebanon we will never see them mature.

We have multitudes of different kinds of poplars, willows (no river to dangle them in only ditches) oaks, and maples. Many of the Japanese maples struggle. Although the American ones do reasonably well. We even have a pecan (one of five that we grew from our Xmas nuts) that continues to survive, though it is not big only a couple of feet.

We have natives around the edges with hedging then specimens inside. We also have a whole host of fruit and nuts trees. Almonds, Walnuts (eventually) Hazelnuts, cobs (if we get pecans I'll be amazed) and apples, pears, plums, mulberries, de nancys, greengages, quince, medlars (never ate one and as you have to let the frost rot it first not likely to) asian pears, crabapples (needed if you want cider) sloes (for gin) seabuckthorne berries (very now in top restaurants) peaches (the best crop got stolen!!) cherries (the birds always eat them first) theres more but I cant think of them we also have berries, blackberries particularly LOL and rhubarb whitecurrents redcurrents blackcurrent and some hybrid x with raspberries and logans. A walk in the autumn invariably means a free meal.

Will look forward to you showing the making trees..Mrs Sasquatch is your perfect partner. Lucky man.

Cor Blimey!

You don't live at Kew, do you? :)

That's an impressive range of arboreal splendour, Jaz.

By comparison, we have beech, birch and ash trees in quantity and fruit wise we have two cherry trees (and yep, the birds get them, even when we net them!) A parrot beak cooking apple tree, a couple of different sweet apple trees, a Victoria Plum that's about on it's last legs (but the wasps get what fruit it produces), gooseberry, blackberry, strawberry and raspberry bushes that pop up in various places, rhubarb which is trying to take over the world, and rosemary and mint which are trying to do the same.

We're very good at Jam making, :) and as you say, walking up the path from the garages to the house can result in a good meal!

I'm afraid we're probably too far north for the sort of nuts and fruits you have.

Quite jealous, now :)

Al.

• Like 1

Well we both have loads of prototypical examples to copy  :yes: , I was playing with model trees tonite. Improving some bought ones that just don't photograph well. They had been white I coloured them green but were a bit luminous. I think had I painted them black then green it might have been more successful, however as it goes I am a lot more pleased with tonite result photos may follow.

MrB,

A useful reply thank you, is Goathland an interest of yours?

Further to this we are doing a lot of research (not much real work) But as Kal has earthquaked Goathland we are going to go with the hill behind, and zoom across to Goathlands / heartbeat Brow House Farm used as Greengrass farm and in real life it has a caravan site.

Here it is just balanced as we initiate the build

med_gallery_17883_2793_115489.jpg0386

And some quick dressing for atmosphere

med_gallery_17883_2793_278337.jpg0390

med_gallery_17883_2793_750422.jpg0398

med_gallery_17883_2793_2065272.jpg0400

med_gallery_17883_2793_1675187.jpg0393

I was visiting Trains4U in Peterborough and spied these.....

med_gallery_17883_2793_769873.jpg0404

A quick repaint with Pheonix weathered wood and Tamiya flat earth and some railmatch concrete....as you do and presto...

med_gallery_17883_2793_30688.jpg0408

Really love this, it makes a great Greengrass abode! This is a set of buildings I wish I'd picked up years ago but never did. Fancy I may have to feed the MGB's (Money Grabbing B*****ds) on Ebay now :(

Don't know if I've posted this before but I visited the Greengrass residence on my last visit, I'll repost the pics in a minute.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Greengrass house

Anyone got anything in mind for the Weighbridge outside the station?

I used the weighbridge from the wills range, purely because one lay in my scrap box. Cutting out the resin back wall was a risky business The windows are ratio midland signal box type. 

post-8964-0-91092100-1380122743.jpg

• Like 4