Farish mk2F coaches

N Gauge David

• RMweb Premium

Declassified, renumbered and I even remembered to take the 1st Class labels off the windows.

20201005_220534.jpg.8e5d0677fc679de639a9c4264162c61f.jpg

I have had to snip the corner buffer beam steps off though otherwise it wasn't going anywhere. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I have had to snip the corner buffer beam steps off though otherwise it wasn't going anywhere. 

But oh-no, the resale value of your coaches now they have no steps!! :D

Says the man who cut all the brakes off his Hornby exLSWR coaches so they would actually roll freely on a flat straight surface.

It's interesting that some features on stock can be removed and you never actually notice it, this like my brakes above is an example.  Maybe we ask for too much detail (I know it's a wormcan)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But oh-no, the resale value of your coaches now they have no steps!! :D

If you plan to resell and want the best price don't snip them off. Keep them pristine and in the box. But that's hardly the ethos of the hobby. And makes you a 'collector'.

;-)

If you plan to run them and keep them then it doesn't matter. And even if things change in the future they will still have some resale value, possibly a bit more if you keep the steps and re-fix them. But you'll have had the fun and enjoyment of owning and using them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Declassified, renumbered and I even remembered to take the 1st Class labels off the windows.

20201005_220534.jpg.8e5d0677fc679de639a9c4264162c61f.jpg

May I ask- what method did you use to remove the original numbers?

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Colossus said:

May I ask- what method did you use to remove the original numbers?

Gentle rubbing with the tip of a reasonably sharp cocktail stick removes numbering and pretty much most other Bachmann and Farish tampo printed markings cleanly.

As for resale value, that went out of the proverbial window as soon as I masked off and painted over the yellow stripes I reckon!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I referred earlier to the height difference between Dapol's Mark 3A and the new Farish Mark 2F, specifically for replicating WCML services. It seemed to me that the current collector contacts on the Mark 3A bogies were worth removing to see if that improved the situation. I therefore removed the whole brass assembly by twisting with pliers; unfortunately this meant the axles were now too short to fit the bogie and no alternative wheelset could be found. However, DCC Supplies came to my rescue with complete spare bogies for £10 a pair. This time I used a slitting disc in a minidrill to remove the contacts and found that a much more satisfactory appearance resulted.

• Like 1

Got my I/C Ex FO/TSO and I/C S w RFB plus B/G BSO. Yet again Farish have chose the least useful BSO - their first Mk2a BSO 9430 lasted only 3 years - they have done the Mk2f  BSO as E9514 which was a late transfer from LMR and then converted to a DBSO (the late lamented 9706 Polmont victim). Still, they are very nice models.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit frustrating that the BSOs appear to be arriving a month after the FO and TSO!

I'm also unsure if Bachmann ship out models to the shops at the same time. Rails and Kernow appear to have the Intercity liveried FO & TSO in stock whilst some of the smaller shops have yet to add them to their websites. I don't know if it's because Rails & Kernows orders are likely to be larger and easier to ship out first, or if they've just got more staff so can update the website stock faster.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2020 at 15:42, Bomag said:

Yet again Farish have chose the least useful BSO - their first Mk2a BSO 9430 lasted only 3 years - they have done the Mk2f  BSO as E9514 which was a late transfer from LMR and then converted to a DBSO (the late lamented 9706 Polmont victim). 

I admire your diligence in researching these things but I suspect the vast majority of modellers are blissfully unaware of the relatively short lifespans of the coach numbers mentioned and probably wouldn’t care very much anyway. I know I don’t. 
You’ve used the words “yet again” as if Farish are serial offenders in choosing “inappropriate” coach numbers but have supplied only two examples. That would suggest the word “yet” is superfluous. 

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

Bit unfair. He’s provided examples why the two new releases pertinent to this thread are daft choices. The “yet again” suggests there have been multiple past transgressions. 

I never cease to be amazed at people wanting the correct region codes on their stock, or different running numbers. So wanting an example that had a longer service life seems reasonable to me.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, njee20 said:

Bit unfair. He’s provided examples why the two new releases pertinent to this thread are daft choices. The “yet again” suggests there have been multiple past transgressions. 

I never cease to be amazed at people wanting the correct region codes on their stock, or different running numbers. So wanting an example that had a longer service life seems reasonable to me.  

If there have been “multiple past transgressions” then this is the first I’ve heard of it, which would suggest that only a tiny minority of modellers are bothered by such things. Personally, I’m not at all interested in looking up the history of a particular coach number but if anyone wants to go to that level of fidelity, then that’s their prerogative. I don’t; life’s too short. I just thought that the comment to which I originally responded came across (intentionally or not) as rather nit-picking. If I hadn’t had half a bottle of Riesling at the time, I probably wouldn’t have written anything in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

If there have been “multiple past transgressions” then this is the first I’ve heard of it, which would suggest that only a tiny minority of modellers are bothered by such things. Personally, I’m not at all interested in looking up the history of a particular coach number but if anyone wants to go to that level of fidelity, then that’s their prerogative. I don’t; life’s too short. I just thought that the comment to which I originally responded came across (intentionally or not) as rather nit-picking. If I hadn’t had half a bottle of Riesling at the time, I probably wouldn’t have written anything in the first place. 

Farish have put the odd wrong number on their coaches, but this is slightly different from the choice of which vehicle to model. I don't see why they should not spend the same care with coaches as they do with locos; in this case this would be equivalent of doing a class 47 as D1671 or D1734, or 46202 as Princess Anne.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bomag said:

Farish have put the odd wrong number on their coaches, but this is slightly different from the choice of which vehicle to model. I don't see why they should not spend the same care with coaches as they do with locos; in this case this would be equivalent of doing a class 47 as D1671 or D1734, or 46202 as Princess Anne.

I quite agree that some care should be taken with coach numbering but surely you have to draw the line somewhere. I like to think I am reasonably knowledgeable about the BR blue era but before yesterday, I honestly would not have known whether or not there was ever a Mk2F BSO in BR blue/grey livery with the number E9514, never mind how long it existed. How many people would? I can’t read the coach number unless I look closely but it looks like a prototypical number to me. Whatever numbers Farish chose would have pleased some but not others (the post above by @Crepello perfectly demonstrates that). It must be a potential minefield; had they chosen an example that existed for longer, it might have been a coach that spent its entire time in that livery on one region, thus “upsetting” modellers of other regions. Whoever at Farish was tasked with finding a prototypical number probably did just that; found a prototypical number. To expect much more (with coaches and wagons at any rate) is, I think, unrealistic. The main point (for me at least) is that Farish have produced a model that does what it’s supposed to, is to scale, looks like what it’s meant to be, is painted in correct colours and carries a number that a real coach of that type once did. Job done. Do you mind me asking what number you think should have been chosen, and why? 

Incidentally, I had to look up the locomotive numbers you quoted to see what was special about those particular examples and I probably wasn’t alone in doing so.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have tended to find that numbers chosen for coaches always seem to match published photos in publications like old Ian Allan Combined Volumes which I reckon is where they get some of their number choices from.  What happened to that coach after that photo was taken is probably of little relevance or interest to them in all honesty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I have tended to find that numbers chosen for coaches always seem to match published photos in publications like old Ian Allan Combined Volumes which I reckon is where they get some of their number choices from.  What happened to that coach after that photo was taken is probably of little relevance or interest to them in all honesty.

I would tend to agree, there are only so many places you can look to find images of certain vehicles, and we are always told work from photos for livery/details etc. So use something you have photographic evidence of, or face the wrath of the modeller.

Do an internet search on Mk2f BSO blue grey and see what images it actually throws up. Mainly models, very few of the real thing, and many of those are missing either the 'B', 'S', 'f', and aren't even blue grey...... Now search for a specific loco, and that is a different matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the two TSOs I had on order from Alton Model Centre this morning. Shame the Brakes hadn't come in at the same time but oh well, at least they're actually hitting the shops now!

Unfortunately the superb finish won't be staying on mine, they're destined to be repainted in Anglia turquoise and be sandwiched between two class 68s or Class 37s. 99E0E181-9C32-439B-98A2-0A5EC81808C3.jpg.136fe6a869d46a0ac6b9b37ba322c014.jpg298FB2DC-4918-4E08-9E7E-8D18B18F2D74.jpg.c890d8050da35e09f278a693a3db27b5.jpg5722F240-66FE-4C78-B3C0-06199F87337F.jpg.ba09bd6f2095c6071f47eea2da10e8e9.jpgB92428D3-3C55-473A-A4AE-EE63BB60CBF1.jpg.ad3db4f75e1255a0b7d87bbb48e3da55.jpgCAF898E4-9185-433E-AE4F-7275E0C5E017.jpg.ae485fe824f11d7339bc063592f0bd5d.jpg

The only curiosity on the IC livery is the slightly lighter grey strip printed across the top of the window band. It almost looks as though they didn't quite get the height of the dark grey right and decided to rectify it by printing that over the top, but if that is the case the colour match is poor. I certainly can't find any evidence to suggest it's prototypical! 

That aside, they are lovely models, it's just a shame we had to wait so long for them. 

Tom.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomE said:

destined to be repainted in Anglia turquoise

ooooh yes I'm glad it's not just me contemplating such a move! Even just a BSO in that livery would go nice with the blue grey Mk2s I have to run with my 67s on the Cardiff - Taunton sets.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1