Farish mk2F coaches

N Gauge David

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 18:50, westie7 said:

Now I've done a BSO/FO cut-n-shut to a BFK in OO ... Wonder if I could do it in N

IIRC Mk2d were the last ones with Compartment stock Mk2F were all open saloons.

6 hours ago, acg5324 said:

IIRC Mk2d were the last ones with Compartment stock Mk2F were all open saloons.

The fundamental body is the same between Mk2d and f so if doing a cut and shut BFK then fixing the odd vent and fan is not a problem. The alternative is just to add a new interior and paint the 1 and Yellow stripe on - fixing the fan and M/A would be on my list but even I would find it difficult to tell the difference of a plain body shell without the livery and number to help.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bomag said:

The fundamental body is the same between Mk2d and f so if doing a cut and shut BFK then fixing the odd vent and fan is not a problem. The alternative is just to add a new interior and paint the 1 and Yellow stripe on - fixing the fan and M/A would be on my list but even I would find it difficult to tell the difference of a plain body shell without the livery and number to help.

Yes, the easiest part is cutting up the FO and creating a corridor interior. Getting the BSO brake section cut into the correct proportion is the nightmare

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bomag said:

Pitty the IC Scotrail one has the set number on the end which limits its time period.

Will it come off with a light touch with a cocktail stick? A lot of recent Farish printing does. Easier to remove than apply neatly if so!

Jo

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this has been discussed/shown before, but how well do the liveries match between the Dapol mk3's and the farish mk2's?

I've never modelled in N before and would like to recreate the mixed rakes seen during the mid 80's.

Such a shame that one manufacturer didn't do the lot.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Blue-grey stock is OK. There's some difference with the Intercity liveried stock - DVTs in particular as the upper band of executive dark grey is the wrong colour (and I think Farish have it too dark!).

In both cases I'm happy to run the two side by side - there's enough variation at 1:1 scale to make it prototypical!

A bigger problem is the couplings - the Farish Mk2s and the Dapol Mk3 DVT are at slightly different heights which can lead to unwanted uncouplings, particularly if you replace the standard rapido with the smaller Dapol dummy buckeyes.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Have the latest Dapol mk 3's and farish mk2f's been around for a while?

Willing to buy used but don't want to buy any with old tooling/liveries etc.

How do i know i'm only buying the latest versions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by johny retro

• RMweb Premium

The Farish Mk2F's have been in the shops (and in the case of the TSO sold out) since last Autumn.

The earlier Mk2d are build around a solid clear bodyshell. The easiest way to tell the two apart is to look at the coach ends - the newer Mk2F has separate handrails and steps just below each buffer.

Dapol's Mk3s haven't changed since they were first released in 2010. Farish did do a range of Mk3s, but if what you're buying is marked "Dapol" you'll be getting the modern model.

Steven B

Thanks steve, that helps alot.

Been away from the hobby for over 20 years, and looking to get into DCC N gauge whereas i've only ever done DC 00 gauge, so it's a minefield! 

Especially with all the model shops being closed at the mo, it's not easy finding things out.

• RMweb Premium

Further to my previous message, the biggest giveaway between the Farish Mk3 and the later Dapol version is the couplings - the Farish model has them mounted on the bogie whilst the Dapol Mk3 is fitted with a body mounted close coupling mechanism. The Dapol model also has footsteps mounted below each passenger door.

Sadly, price isn't a very accurate way of working out which is which. Second hand prices are quite inflated at the moment such that original Farish models are being put on the likes of eBay with buy it now prices not far from the RRP of the more modern models.

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy Easter everyone - looks like the Easter bunny has put a blue-grey mk2f TSO on a well known auction site.... and the sun is shining.... no more ‘stay at home’ order.... it doesn’t get much better than this :D !!!

I must say, I was a little underwhelmed by the mk2f when it first came out, but it has grown on me. I want some Swallow intercity mk2f, but I’d suppose another production run of mk2f of any livery is probably several years away.

• RMweb Premium

I struggle to understand why Farish don't produce double the number of TSO compared to first and brake coaches. Even the most space starved modellers is likely to need more second class than first.

Steven B.

• Agree 6

Totally agree, they could do two or three numbers of a TSO and still sell out. Or even produce the same quantity, but rerun the TSO every year with a new number, and the brake and first every 2-3 years. 

I wouldn't say no to a run in Anglia livery, would save me respraying a BSO for my loco hauled set.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Steven B said:

I struggle to understand why Farish don't produce double the number of TSO compared to first and brake coaches. Even the most space starved modellers is likely to need more second class than first.

Steven B.

How do you know that they don’t do that? Obviously most modellers will probably want more 2nd class coaches than 1st but for a manufacturer, gauging the balance can’t be easy. I wouldn’t like to have to predict it. For example, looking at my coach fleet shows the following:

Blue/grey MK2Fs: nine 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 4.5:1

InterCity MK2Fs: five 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 2.5:1

Blue/grey MK2As: six 2nd class, one 1st class. Ratio of 6:1

Blue/grey Mk1s: thirteen 2nd class, ten 1st class. Ratio of 1.3:1

Network SouthEast Mk1s: six 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 3:1

InterCity Mk1s: six 2nd class, seven 1st class. Ratio of 0.86:1

As you can see, the 2nd class to 1st class ratio varies considerably (by a magnitude of more than six!) and that’s just one modeller! Obviously, predicting demand for fixed formation trains like HSTs is rather easier but with Mk1 and 2 coaches, it’s anyone’s guess what sort of split a typical modeller will want.

Looking at a positive, the new three monthly announce and release schedule of Bachmann means there could be more TSOs in the next announcement and in the shops soon after. Keep the fingers crossed!

Jo

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Looking at a positive, the new three monthly announce and release schedule of Bachmann means there could be more TSOs in the next announcement and in the shops soon after. Keep the fingers crossed!

Jo

Indeed. The next quarterly announcement should be around this time next month. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

How do you know that they don’t do that? Obviously most modellers will probably want more 2nd class coaches than 1st but for a manufacturer, gauging the balance can’t be easy. I wouldn’t like to have to predict it. For example, looking at my coach fleet shows the following:

Blue/grey MK2Fs: nine 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 4.5:1

InterCity MK2Fs: five 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 2.5:1

Blue/grey MK2As: six 2nd class, one 1st class. Ratio of 6:1

Blue/grey Mk1s: thirteen 2nd class, ten 1st class. Ratio of 1.3:1

Network SouthEast Mk1s: six 2nd class, two 1st class. Ratio of 3:1

InterCity Mk1s: six 2nd class, seven 1st class. Ratio of 0.86:1

As you can see, the 2nd class to 1st class ratio varies considerably (by a magnitude of more than six!) and that’s just one modeller! Obviously, predicting demand for fixed formation trains like HSTs is rather easier but with Mk1 and 2 coaches, it’s anyone’s guess what sort of split a typical modeller will want.

I’ve seen it said, more than once, that Farish produce an identical number of everything. It’s a very safe assumption that the average buyer will buy more standard class than first, so doing double the number is unlikely to cause a problem. To put it another way I’ve never seen TS coaches in the bargain bins and people saying “if only I could find more TFs”. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2021 at 20:57, davebem said:

I missed the bandwagon on these as I need at least 4X TSOs although Im sure I saw a class 50 on a whole rake of FOs once?  Fingers crossed for the next announcement.

For a while one of the Brighton to Manchester workings was a full set of FO Mk2 aircons. I have a picture of it on the West London Line.

On 06/04/2021 at 21:57, davebem said:

I missed the bandwagon on these as I need at least 4X TSOs although Im sure I saw a class 50 on a whole rake of FOs once?  Fingers crossed for the next announcement.

Wasn't the Nightrider at one stage 11x FOs?

es grüßt

pc