Catalunya

A couple of weeks ago in Dorset I at last visited Pecorama for the first time.  I knew what to expect and it does what it says on the tin, but I had completely forgotten that Shirley Rowe's diorama Catalunya was there, complete with its changes of light sequences.  Worth the £2 entrance on its own.

post-6669-0-23767300-1369744637.jpg

post-6669-0-29149400-1369744641.jpg

post-6669-0-35939600-1369744631.jpg

post-6669-0-64914700-1369744599.jpg

post-6669-0-65968800-1369744626.jpg

Thanks Dave, it's in a low light corner and I think it is just behind barriers - certainly I wasn't conscious of any reflection issues at the time. I shudder to think how long ago I last saw it, I seem to remember it was inside its own black 'viewing tent' in the middle of the exhibition hall.

I too have had the pleasure of seeing this layout. To me it proves that you don't need a huge amount of railway action going on to be able to appreciate fantastic modelling.

The buildings and little scenes are superb, but add in the lighting effect to convey various times of day, and you have a layout that will hold you captivated for a long time!

• RMweb Gold

Buildings and scenery tend to be regarded as secondary to trains and track in our hobby. Yet they can be the significant difference between ordinary and outstanding. What Rod has identified here is modelling at its finest - with no train necessary. A recent thread has seen some excellent joshing among master-builders Allan Downes, Iain C Robertson and Peter Leyland (gravytrain). What these chaps could do for your or my layout far exceeds our slavish adherence to the appearance of trains or the application of the Rule Book to operations.

• 2 years later...

Archived