A P4 GNR Stirling Single and the future rebuild of 'Swaveney' (M&GNJRly)

John, I'd forgotten how many buildings there were!

In view of their historical value and the amount of work that might be needed to bring them up to modern scratch I wonder if - for some of them at least - it would be just as easy to conserve them as historical artifacts and build completely new replacements.  Something to consider in due course when we have another 'survey'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're not the only one to turn up some memorabilia of the time John.

I rather think that it belongs with the layout, so I'll send be popping it in the post tomorrow c/o CK.

Thanks Neil, that's very kind.

Perhaps I should've kept quiet as this all seems to be developing momentum now! :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple more of Nigel's Stirling single have emerged.

Both taken on his now dismantled large P4 roundy-roundy.

post-6728-0-57416500-1371194046_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-02182800-1371194072_thumb.jpg

Also a few more assorted snaps from Nigel's effects.

Taken in BR days (note DMU in the gloom).. don't know where though.

post-6728-0-55789200-1371194130_thumb.jpg 

Loco info http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=22110

post-6728-0-99914800-1371194213_thumb.jpg

Loco info: http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=15031

post-6728-0-19674300-1371194264.jpg

post-6728-0-83316500-1371194321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You're not the only one to turn up some memorabilia of the time John.

attachicon.gifswaveney 1.jpg

attachicon.gifswaveney 2.jpg

I rather think that it belongs with the layout, so I'll send be popping it in the post tomorrow c/o CK.

Thanks very much again, Neil. Hopefully I informed you at the time, but the show guide arrived safely at Kernow Towers and was perused by the Massed Assembly of DRAG last Monday night. I've now got it in safe keeping back in Kernow Towers, along with my 1969 Bristol (Victoria Rooms) show guide (which is still used for it's original second purpose of housing sheets of transfers!!)

Edit - just realised how that might look, so no, the 1977 York guide is NOT being used as an overspill repository for Kernow's transfers, it is safe and sound on the bookshelf, along with my MRJs!

Edited by Captain Kernow

Good to know all arrived safely; and I may be able to clear up the matter of the prototype Deltic's location which I believe to be at the NRM.

I concur - and the 'DMU', I would think is actually an EMU, a Waterloo and City vehicle.

Adam

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more pictures of Nigel's work have come to light, plus some odd photographs which I think may be of interest.

post-6728-0-73273500-1383674125_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-97870600-1383674145_thumb.jpg

I think that this is a Holden T26

post-6728-0-52507700-1383674166_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-18410100-1383674188_thumb.jpg

A photo of a photo

post-6728-0-57315300-1383674315_thumb.jpg

Part of A2/3 60523 'Sun Castle' can be seen in the background

post-6728-0-58764900-1383674355_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

..........Some more V2 front shots here Ivan.

These snaps turned up during a sort out of the late Nigel Hunt's bits and pieces picked out the bin a few years ago when collecting Swaveney'.

post-6728-0-70708700-1384086863_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-79694000-1384087007_thumb.jpg

...and some of the tender....

post-6728-0-29431000-1384087068_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-40053300-1384087090_thumb.jpg

A shot of Boston Station in the early 60s.

post-6728-0-15238000-1384087199_thumb.jpg

And finally a pair of his GNR coaches. They were probably built from D & S kits. Rather nice nonetheless.

post-6728-0-77013200-1384087297_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

'Swaveney' has been moved from its original garage storage to another place.

The opportunity to remove Nigel's/Andy's exquisite GE/GN somersault signals was taken to put them in safekeeping as one has been damaged whilst in store (nothing that can't be fixed).

Of note are the unusual  shunt signals.

post-6728-0-92701300-1436963406_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-92773300-1436963443_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for posting photos of these truly lovely models.

I would possibly query the carriages being D & S kits. I have built a number of the D & S GNR kits and the depth of the panelling and detailing on the solebars don't look like D & S etches to me, although it may just be how it looks on screen on a low resolution photo. My guess would be that perhaps they are scratchbuilt using some D & S parts but I am prepared to be totally wrong!

Whatever the origin, they and the locos are superb.

Tony

• 3 months later...

I was reminded of this thread by a posting over on the S4 forum. This was also the work of Nigel Hunt, I'm told - it came to me as an unpainted shell from Andy Rush via Ebay and I've completed it. It's made from Ian Kirk sides grafted together and the work to cut out all those toplights over the doors must have been immense. It now gets an outing on Grantham from time to time.

ecjs_3_4.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

I was reminded of this thread by a posting over on the S4 forum. This was also the work of Nigel Hunt, I'm told - it came to me as an unpainted shell from Andy Rush via Ebay and I've completed it. It's made from Ian Kirk sides grafted together and the work to cut out all those toplights over the doors must have been immense. It now gets an outing on Grantham from time to time.

ecjs_3_4_zps68b64d8e.jpg

Jonathan, what are the origins of the bogies on this?  Do you know?

I have an absolutely beautiful body/roofshell for the same vehicle built by the late Barry Fleming.  It needs a full underframe and bogies.  

I have done a fair amount of the artwork for the solebars and bogie sides, but a bit more information on the latter in particular would be helpful.  And also, is there anything authorative on the arrangement of the below floor gubbins?  I wonder if there is something near in the national collection?

Hi Mark,

The bogies are 247 Developments WCJS, about the only 6 wheel ones I could get hold of at the time. If you do anything about some proper ECJS ones then I'd be up for a few pairs. The rest of the underframe I worked up based on Ken Hoole's book and the assumption thta by the later 1930s there would have been replacement with LNER components. While the layout may be getting towards right, the parts probably aren't what the ECJS would have fitted.

For any leads on diagrams/drawings, I'd try Dan Pinnock, or John Smart of the LNER Society as a starting point.

The late Barry Fleming; what a great and sad loss, a really wonderful person held in high esteem. It was a privilege to have known him. Even after all the years I can still see him bouncing around with his boundless energy. At his cremation service there was hardly standing room.

If you do anything about some proper ECJS ones then I'd be up for a few pairs.

Thanks for the info; i get that there is going to be some conjecture to the arrangements after 30 years in use.............they are truly grand vehicles though - they simply have a huge presence!

Keep an eye on my blog (both the RMweb one but particularly the external one - both linked to my signature) for the ECJs bogie stuff.

Going back to the ECJS bogie 3rd vehicle, I recently viewed and photographed (in sections) 2 drawings at the NRM 120E Composite bogie and 121E Corridor Third. I have attached 2 images of the bogies shown on the GA. Unlike later GNR drawings the drawing for each diagram showed a plan view, side with underframe including bogie, an end view and section, including underframe.

121E depicts a corridor 3rd with lavatories at each end of the corridor and I think this is diagram 27.

I have attached pictures of the bogies, these are the same as drawing 120E.

I have also included 3 underframe images, 121E only has the plan to the bogie centre of the 2nd bogie.

I hope they are of help, if you would like the original images for your project please pm me.... I would also be interested in your products.

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com

post-457-0-63762000-1446827897_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-55353000-1446827908_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-12262200-1446827929_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-58964000-1446827942_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-37182600-1446827966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Steve,

Thank you very much for these as they do show more than I presently have (which is the ECJS book); especially with regard to the underframe.  I am modelling these in the LNER period and may well adopt the same stance that Jonathan has that they were retro-fitted with electric light

I will try and take this as a kick up the a*se to get the last of the etching artwork sorted out...............  Then those bolster springs look a challenge and they are definitely characteristic, so can't be ignored...........I feel Mr Modulu will get a bit more of my custom.....

As noted above, when I get to do things, I will post these on both my RMweb blog and my personal one - links on my signature.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Taking a break from 'Balcombe' to complete 'house stuff' one's mind can't help drifting back to much more interesting stuff than painting, laying floors and the like (work starts in earnest tomorrow!).

To re-cap a bit, we (DRAG of the S4 Soc) inherited/saved 'Swaveney' from the skip when we broke down the late NIgel Hunt's large roundy-roundy quite a few years ago. Being a very early layout surviving from the beginnings of the Scalefour Society we thought that it just had to be saved. The trackwork and turnouts in particular are mostly ply and rivet and are still very robust and to gauge.

I was wondering what sort of modern (Late steam/very early diesels and DMUs) would have served the 'might have been' location of Swaveney. Had it existed it would have been situated in the Boston, Sleaford and Spalding triangle branching off from Gosberton on a main line north/south. That was the location thought up by its creators the late Andy Rush and Nigel for operating in a pre-grouping era (see pics earlier in the thread for some of Nigel's loco work).

post-6728-0-84265200-1504436885_thumb.jpg

Looking through a book on the M&GNJR there are a few pictures of 1960s stuff. Does anybody have any idea what types of steam locos (also diesels/DMUs) ran in the 'general' area? The book includes J6s, D16s, J15s and C12s. plus Ivatt 4Fs. Models of these are available from Hby, Bach (l think), London Road Models (J6) and Craftsman (C12 which l fortunately do have on the shelf!)

Also of interest would be what sort of coaching stock might be appropriate.

Thanks.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1