How many functions do I need?

MattWallace

Hi all,

I have an older Hornby (TOPLINK, so I think it's the Lima toolings) Class 92 which I would like to convert to DCC.

This is my first "overhaul" project so I'm planning on upgrading the lights, fitting Pantographs and using the Electra Graphics decals to convert it from 92045 Chaucer to 92032.

I'm at a loss as to how many "functions" I need on the DCC decoder (I figure that I need to get this sorted first before I move on to which make of decoder to purchase!), I'd like to control the following:

Front/Rear running lights

Above cab "Spotlight"

Motor

The motor is an older "pancake" style motor however it appears to run well under DC power so I'm hoping it will work well on DCC as well!

Will a 4 function decoder suffice, or will I need more than this?

At the moment I'm planning on purchasing an NMRA harness for the decoder for the wiring and then plugging the appropriate decoder in, so any advice before I start that process would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Your list comes to:

Four functions for the lights, assuming you want fully independent control (so can run with headlamp on, but tail-lamp at other end is off)

One function for each independent cab light, presumably therefore two functions.

The motor doesn't count on the function outputs list.

So, total is about six functions.   Add a couple more if you want servo motors to raise and lower the pantograph !  Zimo offer servo motor control on some of the function outputs, and a typical modest sized Zimo will have more function outputs than you need. 

I'd forget the NMRA old style harness, there are not that many really good decoders using it any more, and it doesn't support six functions.  If wanting a plug/socket arrangement, either use the MTC-21 pin or the PLUX connector, and fit a modern decoder to those.  The PLuX is supposed to be the new standard, but only a few makers offer decoders with the pin-out.  Officially the MTC-21 is in "phase out", but lots of Bachmann UK outline models are still released with it.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Do you need separate control of the top marker? You can run it with the normal front lights. The normal output of a decoder is capable of driving three LED's.

That way, you only need four functions.

If you are desperate to have separate lights and if you can't find a six function decoder, you can always add an accessory decoder, such as a TCS FL2 or FL4 ( I use the FL4's even when I only need two functions, as they only cost a bit more, but if I ever need extra functions, then  it's no hassle.)

Cheers,

Mick

Do it properly from the start and fit a Plu22 adaptor PCB so that you can use a Zimo MX623P12 entry level decoder which has the four full functions for the head and tail lights at both ends (Zimo will allow you to have independant directional control of the tail lights), two logic level functions for the cab lights if required using LEDs and two servo outputs for the pantographs (micro servos cost less than £2.50 nowadays so it is well worth considering).

Easy peasy to just plug in a sound decoder and add a speaker later on if you want to upgrade even further.

Archived