Cammell Laird of Nottingham 20t hopper for use in Liverpool power stations.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rear cover of scenes from the past 29 Woodhead part 2. Dunford bridge, Penistone, Sheffield victoria.

I cant find this shot on the colour rail site anymore.

Ive recently been told by an ex Walton on the hill man that the loaded trains to Clarence dock power station were 21 wagons and the empties were 42 worked by an O4.  We've got a rake of 21 loaded Hornby And Airfix ones. Ive just stocked up on some more empty Hornby ones and can fit a O4 and a brake van on my longest fiddle yard siding. Ill replace a few of these in the future with these Cammel Laird type but wont be doing a full rake.

He said they were referred to as the Anthracite trains.

He also told me they came from Wath area but could recall exactly what colliery. Ive often wondered were they came from. I thought the Spinkhill area.

81CBA339-B32C-4CC7-B548-C6F44F1CD725.jpeg.7a7239ac0301fc4351b41b83d6337d7a.jpeg

Edited by Michael Delamar

54 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Rear cover of scenes from the past 29 Woodhead part 2. Dunford bridge, Penistone, Sheffield victoria.

I cant find this shot on the colour rail site anymore.

Ive recently been told by an ex Walton on the hill man that the loaded trains to Clarence dock power station were 21 wagons and the empties were 42 worked by an O4.  We've got a rake of 21 loaded Hornby And Airfix ones. Ive just stocked up on some more empty Hornby ones and can fit a O4 and a brake van on my longest fiddle yard siding. Ill replace a few of these in the future with these Cammel Laird type but wont be doing a full rake.

He said they were referred to as the Anthracite trains.

He also told me they came from Wath area but could recall exactly what colliery. Ive often wondered were they came from. I thought the Spinkhill area.

81CBA339-B32C-4CC7-B548-C6F44F1CD725.jpeg.7a7239ac0301fc4351b41b83d6337d7a.jpeg

I wonder why they called them 'anthracite' trains; Wath was bituminous or coking coal. The only region where I know of where anthracite occurs in the UK is the South Wales Coalfield west of the Neath Valley.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There's no anthracite in the Yorkshire coalfield - and you wouldn't need it for a power station anyway. Going that way the train is probably bound for Wath yard but could be sent on from there to any number of collieries - and it could be heading along the main line to Orgreave etc.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, old_grandpops said:

The date on the General Arrangement is 1927, many of the detail drawings were also used on a build for the Manchester Electricity Department.

Thanks for checking!

Having had a look at the website earlier on it wand outdoor appear you have drawings for both versions now!

The only remaining prewar is at Cottesmore with plating slowly rusting away!

Mark Saunders