Wycrail '13 - High Wycombe - 2nd November

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
big jim, on 01 Nov 2013 - 22:56, said:

i'll what i can do, its going to be long night anyway with having to go back to didcot for the van, it says about 30 miles from there to wycombe which isnt too bad but its the other 150 miles back home thats the killer and i've got things to do in the afternoon/evening

yon wont need to put a shout out for me, i'll be in uniform and i've got my hi-viz pants on so you wont miss me!!

Probably too late now - but on the "normal" way form Didcot to High Wycombe, the A415 is closed at Clifton Hampden.  Best alternative (IMO) is to go to Wallingford, thence to Watlington and up the B4006 to the M40.

Which is what i will be doing in about 30 mins :no:

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

As it happened i had a change of plan this morning and ended up getting the booked taxi home, im on a job that starts in bescot and finishes in hinksey on tuesday so i can get a taxi to didcot from there to collect the van

In a way im gutted i couldnt get to wycome but happy i managed to be tucked up in bed at 07:00 this morning and havent had to make a special trip for the van

Just back, what an excellent show AGAIN - special thanks to all organisers and the friendly layout operators (that is all of them this year). This show has always been a favourite for the "new-to-me" good layouts and no exception this year along with some old favourites. This show has definitely taken a big leap forward with the new venue.

Despite problems parking the marshals were very helpful when there seemed no space left one was found for me.

Top layout for me (and I don't want to put any down) was Hobbs Warren - something always moving (nearly too much) a MPD that had atmosphere and 7mm in a very small space. A close 1st place has to be Corris with excellent running and detail.

My only gripe - is an old one - a show brochure yet again without the second most important thing - layout diagrams/track plans. It is so simple to do and I always forget to take a pen and paper to draw one rough first hand. Not really worth paying for unless they are in there IMO. Next year make it perfect please.

Hello

Well done Wycombe Club on another great show.

I went to the show this morning, good selection of layouts, traders and cake.

I particularly enjoyed watching Warren Lane, and Banbury was also working well.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• RMweb Gold

Yet again Wycrail turned out to be a top notch show - excellently organised, well stewarded, easy parking (availability of spaces all depends when you arrive I think, and I ain't telling ;) ), great cakes, palatable tea, a superb range of layouts (thanks DLT for the 'go' on Bridport Town) and plenty of RMweb members to talk to.  Smashing job all round and the venue remains excellent from a visitor viewpoint; the Wycombe club deserve a big vote of thanks on all fronts.

Just back after my first visit to this show.  

I liked the venue, which I thought well chosen, and the use made of the available space.  Getting there presented only one hiccup, viz uneven signposting. If only the local authority had allowed useful signage on the road from the north as well as that from the south, which I did spot once I had overshot.  Car parking was easy, as it does tend to be when you arrive a little before opening time, with plenty of stewards telling us with gestures where to put our cars [oh, you know what I mean!!!].  The guide was well produced and good value at 50p.  The absence of layout plans therein did not inconvenience me but - prepare for the earth to wobble on its axis - I do agree with Kenton that layout plans would have been nice.

Catering was well presented and served with smiles.  For the benefit of certain other venues, tea CAN be served for 70p.

I thought the selection of traders good, with the presence of Squires particularly welcome.  The provision of box shifters was enough but not overbearing and there were means for those who are not quite so reliant on rtr to buy kits and bits.

What a wide ranging selection of layouts!  Those with American or European themes tend not to interest me very much but Andy Gautrey's rather charming Wiley City was just that bit different to hold my attention with its interurban theme complete with trolley poles which, like the real thing, did not always work in perfect harmony with the overhead!  I rather liked Connaught Road,set in London's Docklands before regeneration and portraying the gradual decay so redolent of the 1960s.  Hoorah!  The Cravens unit providing the passenger service had joined-up gangways. Not everybody bothers with that detail.  It was also good to see Bradfield Gloucester Square being put through its paces by its new owners, Tring MRC, but I got the impression that the timetable needs a bit more attention, especially with regard to the utilisation of dmus: the North Eastern Region knew how to come close to perpetual motion!  Addison South, like Elcot Road, is inspired by the Addiscombe branch. One day someone will put them side by side to make comparison that much easier.

Lots of Forum inmates were about and there were conversations about all sorts.  Missy's demo stand never fails to amaze and if you have ever seen her token exchange apparatus you will know why.  Who else would make a net from bits of fine wire soldered together, let alone in 2mm?!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Tired, and with rather sore feet, I finally arrived back to a curry and a beer...

It was an excellent show, well organised with a fine selection of layouts and some good trade presence. It was good to say hello to a few RMWebbers...even when Yamanouchi Oshika was giving us problems; some of the points were causing issues...reworking of the fiddle yard coming up I sense.

Hard to choose a highlight, but I have always had a soft spot for Tre Ponti.

• RMweb Premium

Great show with top-notch organisation. Layout and operators almost performed well! A few things on the snagging list as ever. Packed up, loaded and on our way in under half an hour which has to be a record for team Cramdin but we weren't the first out the door.

The club have set a standard which will take some matching in future years.

Cheers

Dave

I really enjoyed this show. It had traders that I wanted to visit although some were better than others! A very nice selection of layouts which the little Gruffs liked - even if they got kicked off the OO self-drive! Very nice to meet up with a good few members and observe SK's reactions to 81C's questioning!!! Had a short chat with a demonstrating member who really is a craftswoman, her point rodding was superb and the semaphore signal lighting in N was sublime.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising, I didn't get to talk to any of you but you did a really good job from my arrival to my departure - shame I couldn't get the Sausage & Bacon Butties I promised my grandkids. It would have been nice to talk to some of you but sadly the attention span of two young boys meant that we had to leave after 2 hours or some stands may have suffered some damage - the Hornby stand was being manned solely by SK at the time and he was, how shall I put it, deep in conversation with 81C and Stationmaster whilst my youngest grandson really wanted to take hold of a range of exhibits. Sorry guys, I'm up for next year's exhibition and will try to correct my errors of this year! Thank you one and all. :sungum: 

• RMweb Premium

Just back, what an excellent show AGAIN - special thanks to all organisers and the friendly layout operators (that is all of them this year). This show has always been a favourite for the "new-to-me" good layouts and no exception this year along with some old favourites. This show has definitely taken a big leap forward with the new venue.

Despite problems parking the marshals were very helpful when there seemed no space left one was found for me.

Top layout for me (and I don't want to put any down) was Hobbs Warren - something always moving (nearly too much) a MPD that had atmosphere and 7mm in a very small space. A close 1st place has to be Corris with excellent running and detail.

My only gripe - is an old one - a show brochure yet again without the second most important thing - layout diagrams/track plans. It is so simple to do and I always forget to take a pen and paper to draw one rough first hand. Not really worth paying for unless they are in there IMO. Next year make it perfect please.

Simple yes if the layout supplies you with one!

Great day out with George Woodcock and his Brixworth layout.

A very big thanks to all the members of the host club who not only plied us with tea and coffee, but also helped us avoid a major disaster before the show began.

A great show with a super selection of layouts.

Excellent show as always, with plenty of great layout I hadn't seen before (Warren Street is amazing!).

The only slight downside as far as I can see is signposting/access from the long-ish distance 800/850 bus route (Reading/Henley/Marlow), which I know a number of attendees to the show use. (Stop just to the left of the "l"in "Marlow Road" here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=High+Wycombe&hl=en&ll=51.614752,-0.769966&spn=0.003198,0.007639&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.372804,15.644531&t=h&hnear=High+Wycombe,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&z=17

The first signpost I saw was the large one pointing into the school grounds itself (I was beginning to think I was getting lost by then!). Could it perhaps be arranged for there to be at least a map provided at the stop or a couple of signs pointing the way? Alternatively as the station bus goes past the stop, maybe that could call there as it's almost as far to walk from there to the P&R as it is to the venue! Though I appreciate that there's a lot to do in setting up a show this size and it's pretty low on the list of priorities!

But overall, as I've said, an excellent show - 9,99 out of 10! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent show as always, with plenty of great layout I hadn't seen before (Warren Street is amazing!).

The only slight downside as far as I can see is signposting/access from the long-ish distance 800/850 bus route (Reading/Henley/Marlow), which I know a number of attendees to the show use. (Stop just to the left of the "l"in "Marlow Road" here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=High+Wycombe&hl=en&ll=51.614752,-0.769966&spn=0.003198,0.007639&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.372804,15.644531&t=h&hnear=High+Wycombe,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&z=17

The first signpost I saw was the large one pointing into the school grounds itself (I was beginning to think I was getting lost by then!). Could it perhaps be arranged for there to be at least a map provided at the stop or a couple of signs pointing the way? Alternatively as the station bus goes past the stop, maybe that could call there as it's almost as far to walk from there to the P&R as it is to the venue! Though I appreciate that there's a lot to do in setting up a show this size and it's pretty low on the list of priorities!

But overall, as I've said, an excellent show - 9,99 out of 10! :-)

There was quite a good map on the website which we used just in case I forgot where I was going (as we approach via a somewhat roundabout route from Marlow)

http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/local-map/

Went this afternoon very enjoyable show good selection of layouts liked the CN one and of course Warren Lane stood for ages watching the operation and the detailed locos.Nice to  Japan represented good detail (two gents bowing) friendly operators the tram wizzing in and out,and some interesting trains.The venue is excellent catering very good and all stewards good at helping thanks lads and look forward to next year.

• Administrators

It seems that some layout operators have taken recent criticisms of non-moving trains being displayed to heart. This pair (identities hidden for legal reasons) have obviously decided that the simplest way to stop moaning is to modify the display.

NevardandMellorRedacted.jpg

Simple yes if the layout supplies you with one!

If every show manager used encouragement then every layout would have one ready to be included. It is the somewhat sloppy attitude to these show guides that encourages the same in the layout presenters. It is such a basic item of information and one every layout builder starts from. A sketch or these days a computer drawn track plan. Sure I could walk round with a notepad and draw my own but sometimes this is just not easy to do with given time and access to the layouts. It only has to be done once by the layout owner and submitted with all the other details to the show manager. High time it became a requirement, and about time show guides sold at a show came up to a standard content. Some shows seem to do this without a problem, why not this one? It is a well executed and managed show in all other respects, why not make that extra effort for next year to bring the guide up to the the level of the show?

The Wycombe show is not the only culprit by a long way, but when everything else reaches that level of professionalism it is a pity to let such a simple thing take the edge off.

• RMweb Premium

If every show manager used encouragement then every layout would have one ready to be included. It is the somewhat sloppy attitude to these show guides that encourages the same in the layout presenters. It is such a basic item of information and one every layout builder starts from. A sketch or these days a computer drawn track plan. Sure I could walk round with a notepad and draw my own but sometimes this is just not easy to do with given time and access to the layouts. It only has to be done once by the layout owner and submitted with all the other details to the show manager. High time it became a requirement, and about time show guides sold at a show came up to a standard content. Some shows seem to do this without a problem, why not this one? It is a well executed and managed show in all other respects, why not make that extra effort for next year to bring the guide up to the the level of the show?

The Wycombe show is not the only culprit by a long way, but when everything else reaches that level of professionalism it is a pity to let such a simple thing take the edge off.

The exhibition layout enquiry form we use requests all the normal details we require to be able to make a formal invite to our exhibition.

The three questions that are often not supplied to us are LAYOUT PLAN, INSURANCE VALUES and LAYOUT DESCRIPTION

About three months before our exhibition as we are compiling the exhibition guide we once again request any information not given to us on our first request.

Sorry if it still is not supplied we run without it.

I suggest you with the permission of the layout operator you take photographs and draw a layout plan.

I suggest also asking the layout owner if the layout has appeared in the model railway press which will have photographs and perhaps a track plan.

Well it must have been a good show if the biggest issue was the absence of track plans from the optional guide. I'm not quite sure what value they add as they may not include design briefs such as how many wagons can fit into a loop or coaches in a platform, and if someone was really interested in a layout then they would ask the builders or have any relevant magazine articles.

• RMweb Gold

Myself and DLT had a great show and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

We both agreed that all (without exception) of the layouts deserved to be shown, something rare at some exhibitions.

Good mix of traders - both of us coming away with books!

We did have a few trials and tribulations with the journeys from Devon, Friday night was bad, but coming back Saturday night, being held up for 20 miles due to a 'large slow load' travelling down the M4!

Many thanks to the organisers for a great show, plus the exhibitors lunches were very good indeed!

I suggest also asking the layout owner if the layout has appeared in the model railway press which will have photographs and perhaps a track plan.

Many of the layouts have not appeared in a magazine I buy.

Perhaps the best recommendation is that we stop purchasing such useless show guides - the impact on show revenue might result in more attention to it.

As I said some shows seem to manage this inclusion with less obstruction from the layout owners. A couple of the layouts at Wycomebe I have seen track plans for on RMWeb and in other guides so I do not think it is so much the attitude of the layout owners. Do they supply them and they simply do not get included?

If all you have of value in the show guide is the floor plan then why not just print it on a sheet of A4 and give it away? The point here is that the guides are being sold at 50p or even £1 at some shows - it simply is not value for money.

It is only a minor issue - and I wouldn't wish to detract from what was a good show - but there are always things to be done better, continual improvements. Once the big improvements (venue, quality and range of layouts, reasonably good trade, cakes, car parking organisation) have been made it is down to look to the little things.

Archived