Karlgarin Models & Impetus Kits

Pint of Adnams

A sad state, but as many have said - times change and things come and go. 

As an aside, if anyone has a set of the lost wax brass injector assemblies from an Impetus Bagnall kit which I could borrow and user as a master to cast from, please PM me...unlikely, I'll admit...

Paul A.  

As a point of interest, what is the legal position on this? If using someone else's castings as masters to produce your own castings is this acceptable provided you are making them for your own use and not selling them? Not having a go at Paul, just want to know the legal position.

I do recall making a wild promise to reintroduce a kit to convert the Airfix/Dapol (+ Vulcan/Gibson) 04 Drewry but rather got lost in other plans. I’d still like to do it if there would be any takers...

It would probably take me about a year...

Brst,

Marcus

• Like 1

I'd have one (got the original Airfix kit waiting for it) providing it's P4 compatible. Care to do City of Truro, Rocket and the Railbus at the same time? (Yes, I know there are other options - particularly for the Railbus - but there's no harm asking if someone wants to hand it all to you on a plate!)

I do recall making a wild promise to reintroduce a kit to convert the Airfix/Dapol (+ Vulcan/Gibson) 04 Drewry but rather got lost in other plans. I’d still like to do it if there would be any takers...

It would probably take me about a year...

Brst,

Marcus

When you say convert, are we talking a replacement for the old Impetus W&U Drury Tram? I’m assuming we are, in which case put me down for at least a couple.

When you say convert, are we talking a replacement for the old Impetus W&U Drury Tram? I’m assuming we are, in which case put me down for at least a couple.

That’s exactly what I had in mind, though how and who will do so is still an open question. Justin Newitt and I have collaborated on a couple of projects successfully (LNER F4/5/6 chassis and BR Class 31 sprung bogies) so we may do this one too (he is a busy chap and has my LNER J15 chassis on his ‘list’ already). As he has done the chassis already, perhaps Chris Gibbon would be free to do it. Right now I am working on ‘how to do it’ based on what I recall of the Impetus kit. Suffice to say it will be completely redrawn and so ‘all (our) own work’. What I see is a new cab (cabs?), skirts and so on only, relying on the Airfix (preferring to use the original kit as the plasic is harder and as an original moulding, less worn), Dapol or Vulcan (cast metal) kits for the body. Whether the same can work for the Bachmann body remains to be seen as all that would be left would be the footplate and bonnet. Coupled with the High Level chassis and footplate overlays, you can see how I would like Chris to do this, but who knows. Justin/Chris, if you are reading this, please do not look too surprised!

As just a body kit, it would be up to builder to decide on 00, EM or P4 - for a decent chassis use the High Level one.

Edited by EHertsGER

That’s exactly what I had in mind, though how and who will do so is still an open question. Justin Newitt and I have collaborated on a couple of projects successfully (LNER F4/5/6 chassis and BR Class 31 sprung bogies) so we may do this one too (he is a busy chap and has my LNER J15 chassis on his ‘list’ already). As he has done the chassis already, perhaps Chris Gibbon would be free to do it. Right now I am working on ‘how to do it’ based on what I recall of the Impetus kit. Suffice to say it will be completely redrawn and so ‘all (our) own work’. What I see is a new cab (cabs?), skirts and so on only, relying on the Airfix (preferring to use the original kit as the plasic is harder and as an original moulding, less worn), Dapol or Vulcan (cast metal) kits for the body. Whether the same can work for the Bachmann body remains to be seen as all that would be left would be the footplate and bonnet. Coupled with the High Level chassis and footplate overlays, you can see how I would like Chris to do this, but who knows. Justin/Chris, if you are reading this, please do not look too surprised!

As just a body kit, it would be up to builder to decide on 00, EM or P4 - for a decent chassis use the High Level one.

Bachmann could be a starting point for many, certainly it provides a sound chassis to build on for 00 modellers but it would mean a degree of compromise. From memory, the cab and skirts were the main component of the Impetus kit, I can't recall if there was a new bonnet and engine compartment doors, the trams differed from the Airfix kit in both areas and of course the wheels were smaller.

• RMweb Premium

From memory the Airfix/Dapol Drewry is shorter than the Vulcan/Gibson kit. Without digging them out I cannot recall which is the correct length and if the Bachmann loco is the same as at least one of the kits. The Vulcan kit came with side skirts and a small side window cab, ideal for the Gt. Yarmouth Trams. I went to use the Vulcan skirts on an Airfix kit and they were too long.

My three trams a Wisbeach, a Yarmouth and an Ipswich are all Dapol kits with plastic card skirts and cow catchers. I tend to find it easier to attach plastic to plastic with a solvent than brass to plastic with a glue.

post-16423-0-68364900-1513328028.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

From memory the Airfix/Dapol Drewry is shorter than the Vulcan/Gibson kit. Without digging them out I cannot recall which is the correct length and if the Bachmann loco is the same as at least one of the kits. The Vulcan kit came with side skirts and a small side window cab, ideal for the Gt. Yarmouth Trams. I went to use the Vulcan skirts on an Airfix kit and they were too long.

My three trams a Wisbeach, a Yarmouth and an Ipswich are all Dapol kits with plastic card skirts and cow catchers. I tend to find it easier to attach plastic to plastic with a solvent than brass to plastic with a glue.

attachicon.gif001a.jpg

I have just had a little thought, these models and/or the plastic card are old enough to have been purchased in Richard's shop along Moulsham Street in Chlemsford. The shop was a nail bar last time I walked down the street.

Bachmann could be a starting point for many, certainly it provides a sound chassis to build on for 00 modellers but it would mean a degree of compromise. From memory, the cab and skirts were the main component of the Impetus kit, I can't recall if there was a new bonnet and engine compartment doors, the trams differed from the Airfix kit in both areas and of course the wheels were smaller.

All of which is a sound summary of why it will take a while to sort out an approach; certainly the Bachmann would be the popular ‘yardstick’ around which to build a set of ‘solutions’, if you like. Skirts can be of variable length; etched marks inside to denote where to trim if needed. Hopefully all the wheelbases will be the same! Cabs; well, two options to be included. Bonnet sides; perhaps etched overlays for the ‘choices’ too. Stuff I can’t do anything about: footplates, but then the High Level overlays are beautiful and can hide all kinds of glitches. Buffer beams; more choices. The bonnet/ radiator: keep the radiator, overlay door detail? It’s got me thinking but right now I’m focused elsewhere (business, Christmas (who are these ‘Hippy Halliday’ people? Never met them and not sure I wish to), other projects (‘Schools’ class, an F4 and finishing the ‘31). A reliable set of references would be good - all I have is Monty Wells’ article from decades ago in MRJ and my memory of a long dead Impetus conversion that died at the hands of a misplaced soldering iron. Sold the bits for pennies; idiot.

Edited by EHertsGER

All of which is a sound summary of why it will take a while to sort out an approach; certainly the Bachmann would be the popular ‘yardstick’ around which to build a set of ‘solutions’, if you like. Skirts can be of variable length; etched marks inside to denote where to trim if needed. Hopefully all the wheelbases will be the same! Cabs; well, two options to be included. Bonnet sides; perhaps etched overlays for the ‘choices’ too. Stuff I can’t do anything about: footplates, but then the High Level overlays are beautiful and can hide all kinds of glitches. Buffer beams; more choices. The bonnet/ radiator: keep the radiator, overlay door detail? It’s got me thinking but right now I’m focused elsewhere (business, Christmas (who are these ‘Hippy Halliday’ people? Never met them and not sure I wish to), other projects (‘Schools’ class, an F4 and finishing the ‘31). A reliable set of references would be good - all I have is Monty Wells’ article from decades ago in MRJ and my memory of a long dead Impetus conversion that died at the hands of a misplaced soldering iron. Sold the bits for pennies; idiot.

Sounds great, new cab, sides, bonnet. Bufferbeam and radiator options of course, and not forgetting the High Level footplate overlay. Hmmm, now what do you need from the Dapol/ Airfix donor?!

Seriously though, there is much to commend this, I have a Vulcan kit built and another one still raw together with a standard Bachmann version, neither of them will match the W&U prototype I hanker after so please roll on with this when time permits. As interest in the trams grows with the new J70, I can see a ready market for a kit it doesn't take an engineering degree and a lifetime of patience to assemble, and this sounds like its right up that alley.

Why stop there? Why not a full etched (body) kit?

Oh, don’t think I haven’t had those thoughts...

This is what the publishing world might call a ‘vanity’ kit/project - I am doing it because I want one and am happy to make the effort for a modest set of parts. However I have this sneaking suspicion that if and when we get into it, the ‘whole thing’ may be the ‘best’ approach. IF we have to replicate features that differentiate the skirted Drewrys from the Airfix/Dapol or Bachmann (ignoring the Vulcan as a rare bird nowadays) a body whole would seem worthwhile. Commercially, it could be a reskin of the Bachman and be usable with the 00 chassis, while others may choose to put it over a High Level chassis. When I get this far into things I wonder if I should just turn it over to High Level Chris....he’s done the chassis and footplate skins already...

Edited by EHertsGER

I saw Richard again today at an O gauge Christmas gathering. His motorbike accident of several years ago has not helped him. He is selling off Karlgarin models stock, the remaining items will probably appear on Ebay. In 7mm they include a selection of Parkside and Slater's kits, stocks of Slater's wheels and other small parts, stocks of Exactoscale wagon underframes, brake gear, springs and axleboxes and suchlike and also the odd kit or two. If anyone is interested I noted 2 US types, one of which was the Box Cab 23 Tonner and the other (I think) the 300HP EMD - contact Karlgarin by 'phone or e-mail for these and other O gauge items from the selection noted above.

• 2 years later...

Well, there’s sort of an update after three years of silence on my part. My original aim was just to commission some etches to replace an Impetus kit I had destroyed and sold. Since then I was fortunate enough to acquire another and finish it (last week!) A photo will follow once glazed and finally assembled, but my needs have been met.

I have also noted a printed 3D ‘kit’ or whatever has become available. Nevertheless I still have a hankering to do this, so is anyone still interested? 

As an aside I am also close to finishing the Vulcan kit (its the longer of the two!). These 04s are a minefield of detail differences, so beyond knowing how to put together this project I imagine one major challenge will be to sort out all those cab/bonnet/engine panels/grille combinations. As my intent was to provide only for the skirted versions, this may eliminate some.

In the meantime I have a spare Airfix 04 to mount on a Branchlines chassis (my ‘go-to’ 04 chassis for the skirted version) as an ‘open’ version (undergubbins salvaged from the Vulcan kit). I have built the High-Level chassis under Bachmann 03s and can find nothing but praise for it, but under skirts it’s lost. 

Another High-Level ‘gem’ is the checker plate supplied in the 03 kit. Chris will supply it separately if asked, so I have used it on both 04 s to great effect.

So chassis (x2), check. Checker plate, ermm...well, check, I suppose. That leaves the donor body. The Airfix and Bachmann are different and both wrong for the skirted versions. Similarly, the Vulcan kit (so wrong its eye-watering even for the Yarmouth versions). As there were really only six skirted locos this shouldn’t be hard, should it? 

This may also take another three years...

best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

On 07/12/2020 at 03:42, EHertsGER said:

Well, there’s sort of an update after three years of silence on my part. My original aim was just to commission some etches to replace an Impetus kit I had destroyed and sold. Since then I was fortunate enough to acquire another and finish it (last week!) A photo will follow once glazed and finally assembled, but my needs have been met.

I have also noted a printed 3D ‘kit’ or whatever has become available. Nevertheless I still have a hankering to do this, so is anyone still interested? 

As an aside I am also close to finishing the Vulcan kit (its the longer of the two!). These 04s are a minefield of detail differences, so beyond knowing how to put together this project I imagine one major challenge will be to sort out all those cab/bonnet/engine panels/grille combinations. As my intent was to provide only for the skirted versions, this may eliminate some.

In the meantime I have a spare Airfix 04 to mount on a Branchlines chassis (my ‘go-to’ 04 chassis for the skirted version) as an ‘open’ version (undergubbins salvaged from the Vulcan kit). I have built the High-Level chassis under Bachmann 03s and can find nothing but praise for it, but under skirts it’s lost. 

Another High-Level ‘gem’ is the checker plate supplied in the 03 kit. Chris will supply it separately if asked, so I have used it on both 04 s to great effect.

So chassis (x2), check. Checker plate, ermm...well, check, I suppose. That leaves the donor body. The Airfix and Bachmann are different and both wrong for the skirted versions. Similarly, the Vulcan kit (so wrong its eye-watering even for the Yarmouth versions). As there were really only six skirted locos this shouldn’t be hard, should it? 

This may also take another three years...

best,

Marcus

Yes, Still interested!