100 Tonne TEA Tanks

Redsrail

so does that run round at Alton and then reverse into Holybourne, or can it run round at Holybourne?

Looking at Quail, page 24 of the Southern book, it would seem the former is the case. The sidings at Holybourne comprise two single-ended loading sidings and a cripple siding, with the buffer-stops at the country end. The train presumably reverses direction again at Woking.

• 1 year later...

I have a few Bachmann TEAs in BP green livery and I also have a Hornby TEA acquired many years ago, which I would like to update with etched walkways and new bogies from S-Kits.  The S-Kits range includes four separate types of replacement bogies for the Hornby TEA:

• CC2 - Gloucester Fast Freight bogies
  • CC3 - Gloucester Mk 4 bogies
  • CC11 - ESC1 Clasp Brake bogies
  • CC12 - ESC1 Disc Brake bogies.

The Bachmann models are equipped with Gloucester bogies (Mk 2, I believe), so for a bit of variety, I'd probably prefer fitting ESC1 bogies to the Hornby tank.  However, my question is, which were more common on ESC1 bogies: clasp or disc brakes?   Or, did they start off with clasp brakes in the 1960's and these were generally converted to disc brakes at a later date?  My time period is circa 2007 if that makes any difference and the wagon will probably be given a BPO identity on a fictional flow out of Grangemouth.

Looking at Quail, page 24 of the Southern book, it would seem the former is the case. The sidings at Holybourne comprise two single-ended loading sidings and a cripple siding, with the buffer-stops at the country end. The train presumably reverses direction again at Woking.

A bit late answering this but the train was routed via Havant, Guildford, Ash, Aldershot, Alton (run round) then into Holybourne.

This train no longer runs because the rail facility at Fawley is worn out.

Have you had a look at the Shenston Road topic. There is a bit on modelling TEA, and other tanks in it that you may find of interest. see here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-from-the-lineside/?p=2281940

Also for some other photos see this Flickr gallery of photos.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzAGSEu

In my time working oil trains to Albion from Waterston, and others to destinations in the North West, trains of mixed products where not common, but not totally unheard of. As long as the receiving terminal was informed and ready, a mixed train would not cause problems in unloading. Mixed bogie/4 wheel tanks in the same train could still be found as well up to 1985/6. I can remember working a couple. See below from the above Flickr gallery.

26759071502_7dbc698c64_b.jpgA9-(JC6-069) by Paul James, on Flickr

Sometimes repaired tanks with a problem would be left at the terminal for repair or tripping forward to another location for repair. Very occasionally you could pick one of these repaired tanks up to return it to the refinery for loading. This could result in a single odd light grey or black tank appearing at the front of a train of the other livery.

Paul J.

Edited to correct a bit of grammar.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 years later...
On 11/09/2016 at 10:09, Swindon 123 said:

As long as the receiving terminal was informed and ready, a mixed train would not cause problems in unloading. Mixed bogie/4 wheel tanks in the same train could still be found as well up to 1985/6.

The top manholes on the 100T tanks were placed so as to be at the same centres as those of coupled pairs of 45T tanks.