Heljan 7mm class 42 Warship and more

bagpipes331

Just received the Tower Models catalogue.

On the Heljan page it states Heljan are considering producing a 7mm class 42 Warship, class 25 and class 45 in 2015.

If true, I will start a Warship savings fund, as Iwould love a couple!

Early days but it'll be interesting to see which versions they do for the 25/45 - I presume it would be logical to do the 3 larger windows on the front end for the 25 but for the 45 it is a tougher decision. I would probably prefer them to do the later design of one longer 4 digit headcode box (as opposed to split headcode or central but in 2 parts) - this would also have the advantage of being more easily adapted to a 46 with a few modifications too.

I see this is a bit more official now with an announcement + more details on the Tower Models site. It seems a good idea to chat to them to pass on comments/preferences.

2 versions of the 25 (a 25/1 & a 25/3) - I have voted for a 25/3 and I would rather it didn't have doors on the front.

1 version of the 45 - original type split boxer - I would want one without doors so hopefully this can be accomodated in the blue version - after all there's no point doing blue ones with doors! -

unless you have to modify the nose end yourself which wouldn't be popular with many.

I also expressed an interest in a centre headcode Peak (final design) this would also help for modellers doing the similar class 46 - apparently they are listening to all the feedback before deciding exactly what to do.

Got my order in for the Warship Maroon SYP and Peak Green SYP.

Not sure about the 25 and will wait until its out to make my mind up if I need one or not. I could well live without one.

As I was on the phone to Tower Models I took the opportunity to ask about the Western and its still September but after Telford it seems. Will certainly make their life easier if it is.

Damn… that's going to make a dent in my bank balance!

Heljan are doing some interesting stuff, especially in OO. I'm just waiting to see who comes across with the first Class 28 in O… Heljan or JLTRT? When the boys in Bury get that thing fired up it'll certainly create a spike in interest.

(I know Steve Beattie did a brass kit, but having struggled with a brass Class 15 I wasn't disposed to tackle the 28…)

(first post here, be gentle with the newbie!)

Mike

Hi again.

I have had a  chat with Dave at Tower Models today, and he gave permission to paste their content regarding the latest Heljan offerings. 

He also clarified that the standard models will be available from other outlets.

New Heljan ‘O’ gauge products announcement.

Heljan, working in close association with Howes of Oxford and Tower Models of Blackpool wish to announce a new range of ‘O’ gauge locomotives for release 2015 subject to sufficient orders being received in advance to make the manufacture economic.

CLASS 42 WARSHIP.

To be supplied un-named, un-numbered and in a choice of liveries. Usual specification of twin motors, working lights and fans, sprung buffers and couplings.

Three standard versions will be available, these being:
Maroon with yellow warning panels
Green with yellow warning panels
Blue with full yellow ends

A definite Limited Edition of around 100 pieces will be available only from Tower Models, this being original Maroon without the yellow warning panels. If there is sufficient interest a second Limited Edition would be original green without yellow warning panels.

There are no plans to produce a Class 43 Warship.

CLASS 25

There are so many options with Class 25’s that collectively it has been decided to look at two major variants.

Class 25/1, with gangway doors.
Assuming this version is given the green light it would be offered in green with yellow warning panels, blue with yellow fronts in both pre and post TOPS liveries. There would also be a Tower Models Limited Edition plain green version as built without yellow warning panels.

Class 25/3
Assuming enough orders are received, the Class 25/3 would feature the later style front an be available in green with yellow warning panels or blue with yellow ends in both pre and post TOPS liveries.

All locomotives would be un-numbered and feature the usual specification of twin motors, working lights and fans, sprung buffers and couplings.

CLASS 45

The featured locomotive would be as built with split headcodes boxes. The two standard versions would be:
Green with yellow warning panels
Blue with full yellow ends

The Class 45’s would be supplied un-numbered and un-named. At this point no decision has been made as to whether the model will have gangway doors or not. This will depend on what orders are received.

There should also be a Tower Models Limited Edition of just 100 pieces depicting the Class 45 as built all green without the yellow warning panels.

At this stage Tower Models are requesting anyone that is likely to want to purchase any of the potential models listed here to contact them. It must be stressed this is not a dreamlist. Only people who are seriously likely to make a purchase should register with Tower Models. The reality of the situation is that this will involve Tower Models in a considerable amount of time, effort and cost so no timewasters or dreamers please.

At this stage the prices cannot be confirmed but are likely to be in line with existing products in the range with an allowance made for a couple of years inflation. No deposits will be taken and once sufficient orders have been received the the decisions regarding production will be taken and prices set. At this point Tower Models will re-contact everyone concerned to ask them to confirm their order. Again, no money will be taken until despatch is made but it will be necessary to secure the advance order by supplying credit or debit card details ready for the release date.

Anyone seriously interested needs to contact Tower Models and make known their requirements whilst supplying name, address, telephone number and email contact.

CLASS 42 WARSHIP.

A definite Limited Edition of around 100 pieces will be available only from Tower Models, this being original Maroon without the yellow warning panels.

Erm, I'd like to see the prototype snaps they're working from - certainly not a livery that I've seen to exist.

Pix

Erm, I'd like to see the prototype snaps they're working from - certainly not a livery that I've seen to exist.

Pix

I have had a good look through my old books, and have not seen a maroon without warning panel. I did ask about the possibility of a maroon with FYE, but this will not be an option. Still, it should make the task of spraying in FYEs easier!

I may order a class 45 and at least one 25/1 from my usual supplier, I wonder if this would be counted via Tower/Howes?

I don't agree with Towers implied policy of trying to be the sole supplier so I won't cut out my local dealer if I can avoid it.

cheers,

John E.

I have already decided on the Warship. I have wanted one for several years, and will happily save for it. (Plus the decoder)

However, a financial crisis is looming. I was going through my old photos from 1973 (40 years ago!!!!!!!!) when I snuck down to Cornwall for the day. I took a photo of a strange looking loco (to me) No 69 (later 45047) at Bodmin Road, and 7675 (25325) at a station that I can't recall. (any ideas?) I now want both!!

I'm afraid the double glazing and patio doors will have to wait!

I have added the pics taken on a Kodak instamatic, sorry for the poor quality.

post-10855-0-48636900-1370651041.jpg

post-10855-0-34601200-1370651061.jpg

The maroon Warship without SYP is a new one on me too - I'd be fascinated to see pics of the prototype. What would be interesting is a tooling option for the first 11 (or 12?) without headcode panel as built, something that's never to my knowledge been done in RTR 4mm.

Otherwise a very, very welcome choice of prototype by Heljan for which they are to be commended.

John.

Snaps on http://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03

The maroon Warship without SYP is a new one on me too - I'd be fascinated to see pics of the prototype. What would be interesting is a tooling option for the first 11 (or 12?) without headcode panel as built, something that's never to my knowledge been done in RTR 4mm.

Otherwise a very, very welcome choice of prototype by Heljan for which they are to be commended.

John.

Snaps on http://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03

I've already spoken to Pete Harvey about doing the etches to replicate the first 12 warships and he's up for doing it. ( I'm having one )

Oh and all model shops with Heljan trade accounts can order the above models.

Be aware it's a little more involved than just the ends for D800-12. You'll need to alter the boiler port to the Spanner Mk.1 version and also lose the centre shoulder grille, plus also alter the two vertical dividing bars on the side grilles and have a single bar. Underframe covers were also different to the rest of the Swindon machines. D800-2 were also missing the walkways across the roof grilles and started life with rubber kick plates under the cab doors.

Presuming Heljan are doing a standard Swindon body shell, it should be broadly suitable for D813-29 and D831.

Pix

Archived