Model Rail Scotland 2010 - Who is going?

Brush47337

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Not long back from the show with Glen Stewart and Dunmar both back at my place for the time being!

I'm pleased everyone seemed to have a good time, as part of the organising team I'll be pointing the guys in the direction of the thread!

I enjoyed the weekend, our club layout Glen Stewart worked well all weekend and club member Bill Wood's layout Dunmar went down really well too.

My bargain of the weekend (apart from the £5 Hornby 06) was a Bachmann Tornado for £99 from Tower Models, I picked up a few other things over the weekend too including a Lochgorm Kits 2mm scale Highland Railway footbridge kit for Glen Stewart.

I'd also been looking for a back up DCC system for use on Park Road as I'm wary of any potential problems that could arise at a show, was tempted to go down the NCE power cab route but picked up a MRC Prodigy Express system from DCC Supplies, as I already use a hybrid MRC/Gaugemaster Prodigy advance set up the express was an ideal purchase as the handset can be used as another cab on the advance too.

Cheers

Craig

I think the highlight for myself and my two friends was meeting Pete Waterman :lol:

It was an excellent show. There are a few displays from 2008 which I'd have liked to have seen again, but overall it was good. I don't think it was as good as 2008, but it was far better arranged. However, I was very disappointed by the shirty answers from a few local operators (who didn't have information sheets displayed) when asking about scale, trackwork etc, but I suppose after three days the questions begin to wear a bit *sigh*. The folks from further afield seemed much friendlier, as did the various stall-keepers - excellent service this year, although a poor selection of books there.

Kudos to the many layouts and their operators, in particular Dagworth and the Museum of Transport, both of which we spent a very long time admiring.

I regret not taking my camera, but given the auto-focus is broken (Olymus' fault, not mine), I didn't think it would be fair on the other visitors to have me faffing about with manuel focus. I really should get it fixed.

• RMweb Premium

Just back home after a decent drive back. I was one of the bunch accused of operating Blakeney well and being friendly. I can just say that you must have been there when I was away!! Seriously (as if that ever happens!) thanks for the kind comments. It is a very good bunch of people to be involved with. We do have fun and we do remember that the people on the other side of the barrier have paid good money to get in and deserve a friendly welcome and to see the layout working! I am not a regular crew member but was in as a reserve because Roy Jackson was manning the demo stand. Blakeney is a joy to operate, even though it took me until Sunday to master the couplings. Geoff Kent doesn't really "do" internet stuff but I will make him aware of the comments and photos.

We nearly weren't there at all! At one point I thought we might be turning round and going home again on Thursday night. Sadly the the health and safety requirements nearly beat us! None of us are qualified to carry out a full risk assessment of our stand (we have been informed that a model railway at a show is no longer a bunch of friends playing trains, it is a "workplace") and having been asked to complete a form listing all the risks, those likely to be affected and what we had done to mitigate those risks, we felt as if we needed to hire some sort of H & S consultant to advise us. What if we had missed something and somebody got hurt by something we hadn't put on the form? Are we legally liable? We don't know! I was pleased that an acceptable compromise was reached but it does make me worry about things. What if we had put that we had sharp knives, soldering irons, solvents etc and the only way we could have avoided any risk was to keep the public out of the hall?

Luckily we stayed(and survived)and the biggest danger was from some undercooked sausages at breakfast and my jokes!

Rachel, you desrve that trophy. Dagworth won best layot.

Rachel's signal box is a beautiful piece of wrok and well deserving of its award.

Andi

Thankyou both kindly :)

Glad to see that Dagworth was recognised with an award as it was one of my personal favourites. I believe Burnt Island won 2 pieces of silverware (best layout, best in show?...not sure)

really enjoyed the show, layout wise this was one of the best years yet, plenty of well built moving 80's layouts and not a shed or skip in sight

dagworth is just one amazing layout, standard of stock is great, detail fantastic and operated by perhaps the cutest female operator I have came across at a model railway show (okay andi i promise no more flirty comments :P )

big thanks to all the exhibitors for working with us stewards during the breakdown, it was a good un as we were signed off just after 8pm

from your orange clad marshal at foor 3.2 cheers :) :) :)

Hi All

First of all thanks to all who welcomed us and wished us a safe journey back

to Wexford Ireland we arrived safe and sound approx 10.30 pm on Sat

only delay was a crash on the M50 southbound held us up approx 45 min

it was a great day and there was some good discussions on various topics

roll on 2011 good selection of layouts every one happy

David Heath

Wexford MRC Ireland

Spent Friday at the show operating Burntisland. Like many others I was impressed by Dagworth, Blakeney, Alloa, Auchenraith and Millwall Goods. Although it's not new to me, an honourable mention should also go to Montague Quay (?) by the 57 Study Group.

As a signed up member of "the rucksack brigde" my solution is to carry the sack in my hand and not on my back when in crowded spaces! No bother, and I wish others would do the same.

Couple of videos I took yesterday, fantastic layouts, desparate to start one of my own!

Hi Scott,

Thanks for featuring 'Dunmar' on your U-Tube page - it's a first -never been videod before.

Excellent result :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bill.

• 1 month later...

Archived