A golden oppurtunity for Peco

Seanem44

I'm an American who models both British and U.S.  Right now we have a MAJOR problem over here in the states.  Atlas, one of our big manufacturers, put all their eggs in one basket.  The factory in China that produces their track shut down.  It's been several months, and Atlas says track will not be on the way until November 2013.  Whats worse, this affects all turnouts.  We can't find them.

If Peco, or some other company was able to come up with a similiar turnout made to roughly the same specs with the same tie spacing, in code 55, they would likely capture that market.  Many have said they would never go back to Atlas if that happened.  The problem with current Peco code 55 is the tie spacing is way too wide and the rails are not true code 55.

I'm just saying that the oppurtunity is there for someone to jump in and bail us out.  My layout is on a complete standstill, as are hundreds, if not thousands of others.

Nice thought, but can't see them developing, tooling and producing in quantity a new item in five months.  But good on them if they do. 

I thought this thread would be speculating what tacky and inappropriate souvenir wagon was being released for the anniversary of the Coronation! 

And I was going to say: Be careful what you wish for.

Peco manage to make track (N gauge) that no one is 100% happy with on either side of the Atlantic. The HO Code 83 is quite good but about 50% more expensive than anyone else's over here..... :)

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, Altas' track factory shutting down is a good thing.  Back in the 1980s I had no issues with N gauge Atlas track and I used it almost exclusively.  But when they switched production to China the quality really went downhill.  The code 80 N gauge track, and particularly the turnouts, became very cheaply designed and made and was simply not durable.  I can't remember how many times the rails of Atlas turnouts broke their plastic "rail spikes" when I was tapping in track pins, but it was a lot and they were truly a false economy.  I switched to Peco track, which I found to be very high quality and very durable, and having used such a better quality product I will never use Atlas track again.

Note that you can import Peco N gauge track (apart from 36" long lenghts of flex track) from the UK from any of the big box shifters (Hattons or Rails for instance) for a LOT less than you can buy Peco track from sources in the USA like Walthers.  There is no import duty and you don't pay the 20% UK VAT so it is quite reasonable.  For instance, a SL395 Peco medium turnout sells for  £8 from Hattons, less 20% VAT takes that down to about  £6.70, and at current exchange rates that's about $11 US per turnout.  They are so light that airmail postage for half a dozen of them is about $10 US.  Walthers (and brick and mortar shops) are asking $21 for the same turnout (almost a 100% surcharge!), and from US mail order discounters its about $17 - and you still have to pay their postage rates!

While I'm not familar with Peco HO/OO track prices, I would recommend you compare UK prices for Peco HO/OO track with what it would cost you to buy in the US.  It might cost more to ship to the US that the N gauge track because it is heavier but I think the cost savings will still be there.

Matt

Archived