NYMR Bridge 30

LNERJP

hmm that link to the photo by ian jackson its one of lions members on the nymr :D

im hoping to get up there soon to see whats going on and hopefully get to photo the old bridge getting removed via rail whilst we do some bits to lion but cant get there at mo due to snow or should i say br excuse "wrong type of snow" or channel tunnel " its to fluffy" :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there any news on Bridge 30?

I ask because my Firend is coming up from Birmingham to go to the Re-Opening Gala on the 27th March. The NYMR website has no new official updates, so I was wondering if anyonehere had some 'insider' info.

Guest stuartp

The bridge is up, and the Murk Esk has been swept by a couple of bods in drysuits to make sure they haven't dropped anything environmentally nasty in it. I believe there is some re-aligning of track to do as the bridge is about 3 feet higher than it used to be, not sure how that's going.

Ballest currently being laid, before track re-laying/alignment, should be done in time for the re-opening weekend on the 27th March, tickets now on sale for re-opening special http://www.nymr.co.uk/2010/03/take-your-seats-for-the-first-train-over-the-new-bridge-30-reopening-weekend-27-28-march/. The race in now on to finish Eric Treacys overhaul in time for the first train over bridge 30.

J.P.

The bridge is up, and the Murk Esk has been swept by a couple of bods in drysuits to make sure they haven't dropped anything environmentally nasty in it. I believe there is some re-aligning of track to do as the bridge is about 3 feet higher than it used to be, not sure how that's going.

Is the bridge being 3 feet higher some kind of screw up or is there some kind of advantage to doing it?

Guest stuartp

Is the bridge being 3 feet higher some kind of screw up or is there some kind of advantage to doing it?

I asked that of somebody reasonably senior in NYMR this morning. Apparently it's intentional but he didn't know the details, I presume they're easing the gradient a bit ? I told him it served them right for using chipboard for the baseboard tops - it always warps.

I asked that of somebody reasonably senior in NYMR this morning. Apparently it's intentional but he didn't know the details, I presume they're easing the gradient a bit ? I told him it served them right for using chipboard for the baseboard tops - it always warps.

From what I have read the gradient was varying from 1 in 49 up to 1 in 39 over the bridge so the extra height should stop this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Treacey wont be completed in time to do the working, its boiler is still in grey and there is a few outstanding jobs to be done as well, its looking well though n Sir Nigel gresley is still under going winter maintaince out of the way in the deviation shed and 45212 is out of action for the forseeble future for reasons i cant disclose and it looks like its gonna be a interesting season again on the nymr with a shortage of locomotives already and i was up there today and 75029 is stripped minus wheels n boiler on the wheel drop, hopefully the loco im involved with will get some use due to the class 24 n 25 requiring some tlc from a few faults so bring on the mighty lion :) which was the only loco not to fail or suffer any technically difficulty in 2009 and was the most reliable locomotive on the railway in 2009 :) and d6700 has left the railway n returned to the nrm for some tlc

• RMweb Gold

My bet for the loco to pull the first passenger train over the bridge are either Repton or the pocket rocket aka 76079.;) But in all seriousness the complete replacement of a bridge in a rather short time span during what can be called a proper winter is one hell of an achievement!

Just to expand a little on the update from English Electric, although Eric Treacy won't be ready to haul the re-opening train over bridge 30 this weekend, it is hoped that it will be sat in Grosmont station in steam (but not paint). I think I counted nine boddies including myself working on her today, trying to get her finished in time, including fellow RMWEB member CHRIS LNER (though he wasn't really doing much for somebody so young and clean shaven tongue.gif ).

The railway became whole again yesterday as the track was relaid, still plenty to do before the railway can re-open though (tamping etc).

J.P.

Archived