North Haston

• 2 years later...

Hi Chris,

Just found this after a search. Ever since I saw the film Runaway Train many years ago when I was younger I've been holding a secret interest in American railways. Although BR will always be my main interest modelling wise, I've been having thoughts of a small switching layout based around an industrial estate but not sure where to look for prototype inspiration.

The initial idea is to set it in an era where I can have patched locos in different paint schemes.

Ideas for industries include

• Part of a papermill
  • Scrapyard
  • Warehouse
  • Small hopper discharge facilities (possibly for plastic pellets etc)

Very much like the look of this layout.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 27/12/2016 at 11:44, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Chris,

Just found this after a search. Ever since I saw the film Runaway Train many years ago when I was younger I've been holding a secret interest in American railways. Although BR will always be my main interest modelling wise, I've been having thoughts of a small switching layout based around an industrial estate but not sure where to look for prototype inspiration.

The initial idea is to set it in an era where I can have patched locos in different paint schemes.

Ideas for industries include

• Part of a papermill
  • Scrapyard
  • Warehouse
  • Small hopper discharge facilities (possibly for plastic pellets etc)

Very much like the look of this layout.

Cheers,

Wayne

@Chris Gilbert

Hi Chris,

I've not been over here since the above post but after 3 years I've purchased my first American stock, so I've been reading back through this thread.

For my switching layout I'm only thinking of using four axle power and at a recent show I managed to pick up an Athearn RTR GP38-2, two bulkhead flat cars (one by Atlas) and a covered hopper which I think was built from an Athearn kit.

The only problem is the dash 2 is in Duraham & Southern livery from the early 70s which is a little early for what I had in mind. DS was acquired by CSX in the late 80s, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. It was a good price and the only four axle loco I could find at the show.

Cheers

Wayne

Ps: now that North Haston has been sold, did you ever build a replacement?

IMG_20200105_190518.jpg

32 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

The only problem is the dash 2 is in Duraham & Southern livery from the early 70s which is a little early for what I had in mind. DS was acquired by CSX in the late 80s, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. It was a good price and the only four axle loco I could find at the show

It's only a problem if you think it is a problem.

As per your previous message from 3 years ago you can patch the unit, alternatively since the railroad ceased to exist (became part of SCL in 1979) your "railroad" could have bought the unit as is and never bothered to patch or repaint given that it was no longer an operating railroad.

Another possibility, your little operation can't afford it's own stuff (or is short of horsepower) and so it leasing the unit (as in either the D&S / SCL/ CSX are leasing the unit out "as is" rather than repainting it).

(side note, the D&S really should have kept its original name - Cape Fear & Northern is a much better name).

Edited by mdvle

6 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

@Chris Gilbert

Hi Chris,

I've not been over here since the above post but after 3 years I've purchased my first American stock, so I've been reading back through this thread.

For my switching layout I'm only thinking of using four axle power and at a recent show I managed to pick up an Athearn RTR GP38-2, two bulkhead flat cars (one by Atlas) and a covered hopper which I think was built from an Athearn kit.

The only problem is the dash 2 is in Duraham & Southern livery from the early 70s which is a little early for what I had in mind. DS was acquired by CSX in the late 80s, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. It was a good price and the only four axle loco I could find at the show.

Cheers

Wayne

Ps: now that North Haston has been sold, did you ever build a replacement?

IMG_20200105_190518.jpg

Wayne 

I’ve send you a PM. 
I don’t really do RMweb anymore, too many nah sayers for my liking. 

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Chris Gilbert1 said:

Wayne 

I’ve send you a PM. 
I don’t really do RMweb anymore, too many nah sayers for my liking. 

Chris

10 hours ago, long island jack said:

I say Nah and thrice Nah, but I know what you mean, i keep a low profile too!

I wish you both well,  noobs like me need inspiration!  Do either of you use USA forums instead?

Skipepsi, Facebook is where most of my posts go now. 
There are plenty of useful Railroad groups on there and some interesting layouts on the Micro/Small Model RR group 

I know Facebook is not for everyone, and some of the stuff on there, is questionable to say the least,  but it works for me. 

• Thanks 1