Mk3 BFO. Any photos?

sub39h

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any photos of the Mk3 BFO in Intercity Exec livery? I understand that there were 4 made and they were used on the WCML to replace Mk1 BGs. I seem to have conflicting information about whether they were run on their own at the back of the train or a DVT was behind them.

(My desired rake is going to be: Loco + TSO + TSO + RFM + PFO + PFO + PFO + PFO + BFO + DVT. I know it's not prototypical but I think it would look good.)

Either way, I'd like to model one but I can't really find any photos to go off. There are some photos of them in Virgin livery and FGW livery, but these seem to differ. I've also seen a sort of CGI rendering of one, but to my eyes it looks like a TGS rather than a BFO.

Any information you might have would be most appreciated.

(Also if anyone knows if/where I might be able to get some body sides for this in 4mm I would be most appreciative. I have found the set below, but the chap seems to be modelling a later era and so I think they might not be right for me:

http://www.marstonparkway.org.uk/fgw_decals_38.html)

Also I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get some for an RFM (aside from Hurst models - like most of their products online they're listed as out of stock).

Thanks very much

There's some brilliant info in the third to last post on this page:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31111

If i remember rightly, the picture that was in that post that sadly no-longer works used to show a whole mk3 pullman train behind an 86 heading up the WCML. It had a mk3 BFO just behind the engine at the start of the train followed by mk3 buffet, 3 mk3 pullmans, mk1 buffet in blue/grey, 4 or 5 mk3 TSOs in IC exec, and finally a mk2 aircon BSO in blue/grey (they was another site that also linked to that picture with a full run down of what the train consisted of, not sure where that is though.)

HTH

Liking the photo of the wrong way round BFO...!! There were only three (17173-5), and were really easy to spot in photos as they were the only Mk3 coach (Royals included) that had the windows out of position on the bodyside, every other vehicle having set pillar positions regardless of the window size. I built one once, using a Lima TGS- just a simple job of moving the windows.

Apologies, you'll need another Mk3 to cut the windows from and graft into the TGS bodyshell. But if you're modelling a proper WCML Mk3 Buffet, you'll also need some larger picture windows to add to that too.

Hi I been looking for a postible photo but haven't been successful yet. As for looking like a TGS is correct as they where the last three mark 3 to be completed (17173/ 17174/ 17175). At the guards end was a compartment with the hydraulic brake equipment and an office. They only had 7 large windows with a wider than usual spacing between the end of the first class seating area and the guards office. This end also had the extra door flap, just like a TGS. Since Virgin and first have had them an extra window has been added.

Regards

Vin

I've seen two of them in the same train before now in their current use with FGW on the sleeper, once with the 'spare' vehicle substituting for a TSO, and once strengthening the set on a Friday night (which had five sleepers as well, making a nine-car train)

• RMweb Premium

photo showing the other side to that shown in robertcwp's pic above:

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p520092474/h6ae915e#h6ae915e

in addition to the mk3a sleepers and the BFOs, the mk3b 'pullman' FOs also had the built in tail-lights

some pics in virgin and FGW service (unfortunately all from the same '2 window' side):

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Coaches/Mk3-Coaching-Stock-Loco-hauled/Mk3-BFO-AE1G/16765643_qDsZbb#!i=1264983149&k=LG6Gh4s

thanks everyone. i quite like that photo above of the BFO the wrong way around! It also confirms that it ran with a DVT, even though I think it's sort of strange to have them both. 

i think the reason I was getting confused regarding the BFO was because i have seen some later photo somewhere of the "two window" side, and assumed that they'd had a major update at some point, kind of like the Chiltern Mainline RFM which now has full windows nearly all the way along the side. 

thanks all for your help. the link above for BFO bodies is therefore correct and i shall get some to make one.

final question: what paint did they have from new? was it Exec or Swallow? I read somewhere that it was Exec and that they were almost designed to run with the PFOs, but didn't get Pullman branding. 

Going back to the OP's query on formations, there's an interesting Pullman formation here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52967-photo-location-id-help-please/?p=629468

with discussion above and below.

Not Loco + TSO + TSO + RFM + PFO + PFO + PFO + PFO + BFO + DVT

but Loco BG BFO etc.

Going back to the OP's query on formations, there's an interesting Pullman formation here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52967-photo-location-id-help-please/?p=629468

with discussion above and below.

Not Loco + TSO + TSO + RFM + PFO + PFO + PFO + PFO + BFO + DVT

but Loco BG BFO etc.

That certainly is interesting. mine will be pulled by a Heljan 86 though. will probably invest in a 90 once someone makes a decent one! 

Like 298 I did the conversion from Lima TGS

Didn't use another coach, just filled the end windows and then pilot drilled the corners for the new ones, cut them out and used extreme etchings frames

yeah last night whilst reading around I learned of these new window frames. i can't seem to get the shawplan or the extreme etchings websites to give me the details though! i've started sanding down the unneeded window frames on a regular TSO which was a bit knackered and needed a respray anyway. 

I have photos of all of them in Virgin livery (ca 2002)  - if these are of interest let me know and I will dig them out.

that would be helpful, thank you! 

" i've started sanding down the unneeded window frames on a regular TSO which was a bit knackered and needed a respray anyway. "

Remember you need to start with the TGS as it has the additional door in the guards compartment

" i've started sanding down the unneeded window frames on a regular TSO which was a bit knackered and needed a respray anyway. "

Remember you need to start with the TGS as it has the additional door in the guards compartment

ah ###### i'd forgotten about that. i don't have a spare Lima TGS! I do have a (same tooling) Hornby one though. (i've gone for the Lima Mk3s over the Hornby ones as the colours are better and this makes more of a difference than, for example, having flush glazing imho.) 

I suppose I can use the sanded down TSO for my RFM conversion, but this I think I almost certainly would need a body etch for as the smaller windows would be almost impossible to recreate. 

• RMweb Gold

One to hand, I'll try and get the others over the weekend

12 July 2002

Runcorn

AE1G, BFO, Open Brake First, 17174, in 1A88, 17:45, Liverpool Lime Street - London Euston

post-6662-0-86594000-1370461855_thumb.jpg

Edited to correct location

The diagram book available on the Barrowmore MRG site shows the layout (see page 143):

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Diagram_Book_200_for_issue.pdf#page=143

Unlike the HST TGS, there was a corridor past the guard's compartment and van area.

I recall seeing a set working out of Euston in the final years of Mark IIIa/b stock on front-line WCML services that was formed with a BFO next to a DVT.

just out of interest, has anyone noticed that the majority of photos seem to have the BFO the wrong way around with the guards compartment in between two carriages rather than at the end of the train? 

Archived