RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Class 91 pre-production images released.

Model Rail on their facebook page released a few images of the upcoming Class 91 BBMF Special Edition set.

They look lovely but the very basic detail is a let down. Obviously it's for the trainset market and not a collector's item. It will look out of place beside Hornby's Class 60, 56, 67 etc. I'm sure if a full kit to detail this comes along it would do well. The valances, grills, pantograph and headlight clusters cry for some more detail. The Class 91 and it's pairing DVT will surely need a good kit.

Even the Mk4 coaches will need a kit to replace the valances that are fixed to the bogies making it look ugly on curves. 

I feel like getting my hands on one but the biggest let down has got to be the level of detail.

*All images are ones from ModelRail which I've posted here just for those who don't use facebook.

ADMIN EDIT - images removed for copyright reasons

Model Rail on their facebook page released a few images of the upcoming Class 91 BBMF Special Edition set.

They look lovely but the very basic detail is a let down. Obviously it's for the trainset market and not a collector's item. It will look out of place beside Hornby's Class 60, 56, 67 etc. I'm sure if a full kit to detail this comes along it would do well. The valances, grills, pantograph and headlight clusters cry for some more detail. The Class 91 and it's pairing DVT will surely need a good kit.

Even the Mk4 coaches will need a kit to replace the valances that are fixed to the bogies making it look ugly on curves. 

I feel like getting my hands on one but the biggest let down has got to be the level of detail.

It's just an individual loco isn't it, not part of a set?

Surprised that they appear to still have the old large fixed coupling. At the very least I would have expected them to have updated the model with the newer motor bogie and smaller couplings in NEM pockets.

Surprised that they appear to still have the old large fixed coupling. At the very least I would have expected them to have updated the model with the newer motor bogie and smaller couplings in NEM pockets.

I think it's a train pack. Not too sure though but I am pretty sure it will contain a Class 91 and DVT atleast.

There are so many things that could have been upgraded at a lesser cost - the pantograph (Hornby use better ones on the Class 87, Class 92 and Pendolino already), the NEM couplings could have been added and in turn the valance could be part of the body. The tooling is too old and it reflects on the model, the motor could do with an upgrade etc.... No one asked them to re-tool it but if they keep doing minor upgrades it will just not work. Even the Lima Class 47 in the NB train pack still has wide couplings.

• RMweb Premium

Had the detail been better I may have been tempted, but old large couplings, no lights. Appears that it is just a paint job, however that said it is the finest paint job I have seen on any loco for a long time.

I think it's a train pack. Not too sure though but I am pretty sure it will contain a Class 91 and DVT atleast

It is just a Class 91 loco, Model Rail confirm as much in the discussion under one of the pictures on their Facebook page. There is an East Coast Class 91 train pack out this year, it will include the Class 91 and DVT in the Flying Scotsman maroon livery. Hope that helps.

• RMweb Gold

Remember this is a magazine commission, I have not seen anywhere where it is claimed that any retooling would take place. Personally I think it's a bold move by MR and as already been said the finish looks very good, which perhaps reflects on the relatively high purchase price.

I am in two minds on this one, If I bought one it would be just to add to the collection, the high price would probably not make it an investment item, but it is pretty .....

There is an East Coast Class 91 train pack out this year, it will include the Class 91 and DVT in the Flying Scotsman maroon livery. Hope that helps.

That will be a pleasing change from 'battleship grey undercoat', then :yes:

I'll get me coat...

Remember this is a magazine commission, I have not seen anywhere where it is claimed that any retooling would take place. Personally I think it's a bold move by MR and as already been said the finish looks very good, which perhaps reflects on the relatively high purchase price.

I am in two minds on this one, If I bought one it would be just to add to the collection, the high price would probably not make it an investment item, but it is pretty .....

Remember that they are also doing the pack with 91101 in the Flying Scotsman livery - surely it would be worth updating the design for these two locos, especially given that they updated the Lima HST with new motor bogie / NEM pockets just for (so far) one release in the Railroad range. Both the 91110 model and the pack are expensive for such an old model without any upgrades.

I think it's a train pack. Not too sure though but I am pretty sure it will contain a Class 91 and DVT atleast.

There are so many things that could have been upgraded at a lesser cost - the pantograph (Hornby use better ones on the Class 87, Class 92 and Pendolino already), the NEM couplings could have been added and in turn the valance could be part of the body. The tooling is too old and it reflects on the model, the motor could do with an upgrade etc.... No one asked them to re-tool it but if they keep doing minor upgrades it will just not work. Even the Lima Class 47 in the NB train pack still has wide couplings.

MR have said it will have the new 5 pole "Limby" motor, the picture is probably a the new body on a old chassis for photographic purposes. Hope it will be NEM, but we will have to wait and see. Looks great to me!

This is a pre-pro sample OF THE BODY for artwork approval only. The chassis is an old one. The model will have a new-style Hornby chassis. The body has not been re-tooled. The price includes post, packing and handling charges and a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Regarding the model livery, saw this loco at Doncaster yesterday, standing on the footbridge I could not make out the roundel and number on the roof, unless it was under the dirt but it diid not appear to be so.

NINJA, the roundel and number on the roof are definetly meant to be there, although they were starting to fade in June last year. Here are two images of the real engine showing how they are fading, especially they 91.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22525526@N05/7375125290/in/photolist-ceHrNA-cZCRGm-8DqUU5-8B965d-8ArtHU

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33425015@N07/7172531377/in/photolist-bVP6G6-cNaygE

Having seen the model, I would love to see the prototype in the flesh, as it were.  It must be incredably moving to see this loco for anyone with the appropriate RAF links.

Regards,

Brian.

Archived