China Clay Wagons - Kernow/Farish

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Just seen on their website that Kernow Model Centre have commissioned a new tooling for china clay wagons in "n" from GF both with flat and tented tarps.

So when did tented tarps start being used. 

See 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

for more info.

I can see the CC being waved in the direction of the website for a few of these. 

Just seen on their website that Kernow Model Centre have commissioned a new tooling for china clay wagons in "n" from GF both with flat and tented tarps.

So when did tented tarps start being used. 

See 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

for more info.

I can see the CC being waved in the direction of the website for a few of these. 

I'm pretty certain it was in the early 1970s; certainly not much before.

• RMweb Premium

This is great news! I'm over the moon! Hopefully the tarpaulins won't be the chunky textile type the OO ones have, in which case I'll be sick as a parrot! Just right for the 22 methinks, and the Western, and the 25!

Don't suppose they'll have NEM couplings though, as the 9 feet wheelbase chassis will probably not have room. Maybe Kernow will comment on this at some stage?

Kernow are to be congratulated for this move. There has been a fascinating variety of limited editions and commissions in OO in recent years, but (with the notable and honourable exception of the NGS and one or two retailers) precious little for N gauge modellers. I hope these wagons sell well and encourage Kernow and others to dip a few more toes in the water. Now then, about that N gauge Well Tank .... 

• RMweb Premium

It also mentions original axle boxes :) which I guess means its not a shrink of the 4mm version

Just seen Model Rail which confirms it's to have NEMs--great news; my order's going in!

• 4 months later...

I am very pleased to see the flat topped clay wagons. Flat topped clay wagons were used on the Swanage Railway on clay trains to Furzebrook and Eldons Sidings. The Furzebrook clay trains were pulled by a huge variety of locomotives including an M7s, 700s, BR 4MT 2-6-0s and 2-6-4Ts, West Countries and Class 33 diesels and this part of the line remained open long after the track was lifted on the Swanage Railway. Eldon's Sidings closed earlier.  Kernow's wagons are different from the Swanage Railway clay wagons but they give a good impression of them.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of quick pictures taken of the wagons earlier today. I haven't put the sheets on or looked at the detailing extras that are in the box.

post-163-0-07962700-1393501937_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-85107800-1393501938_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-54732400-1393501940_thumb.jpg

Judging from the photos, it looks like they are not fitted with NEM couplings, is that correct?

They look nice but they are more than twice the price of the NGS kit version (even allowing for the cost of the Peco chassis). Here is one I built in unfitted grey. At the time I thought I had been a bit heavy-handed with the weathering and clay dust but looking at the Farish version it seems about right. ;)

DSCF2251.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's correct. Unfortunately Farish still seem to be keeping to the old style couplings on their small wagons. 

(Edit) Well let me take a great big step back from this statement. I was wrong the couplings are NEM).

That is very annoying. I brought mine specifically because they said they would have NEM coupling pockets so I could fit the Dapol couplings - rather than adapt my existing kits. I am rethinking whether to cancel my order nad just adapt my N gauge society kit ones to take the couplings

Grrrr.

• RMweb Premium

That is very annoying. I brought mine specifically because they said they would have NEM coupling pockets so I could fit the Dapol couplings - rather than adapt my existing kits. I am rethinking whether to cancel my order nad just adapt my N gauge society kit ones to take the couplings

Grrrr.

Just been and double checked and I was wrong in my earlier post, they are NEM coupling pockets. When I had looked (glanced) before this wasn't something that I had noticed.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I don't have any of these as they are not my era but from the photographs they look to me as if they DO have NEM sockets - the giveaway is the self centering copper strips.

Certainly recent 4-W wagons I've acquired - OBAs, SPAs, TTAs - all have NEM sockets with these springs. Perhaps it might be best to wait for someone who actually has a set to give the definitive answer?

Cheers

Ben A.

EDIT - Ha - Kris beat me to it! Thanks for checking.

• RMweb Premium

See the previous posts under NEM coupling pockets-new design; these are new tapered pockets so they don't foul the wheels on these extremely short wagons. Hopefully the minerals and  tipplers will be re-tooled to incorporate these. It seems that the couplers don't pull out easily--I chickened out! They do couple nicely close but maybe need the weathering painted black or track colour to make them less conspicuous.

The hoods are thin moulded plastic with a self-adhesive strip  and a big improvement over their OO cousins' chunky fabric. Even the coupling hooks seem much easier to fit than on other Farish wagons, though this may be due to the weathering highlighting the hole!

Yup they're definitely NEM pockets.

I've just done some snaps for the mag review; I'm particularly impressed with the hoods and tarps; the 4mm ones are crying out for similar treatment.

377-475Z_Kernow_ChinaClay_1.jpg

377-475Z_Kernow_ChinaClay_2.jpg

377-476Z_Kernow_UCV_1.jpg

377-476Z_Kernow_UCV_2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I agree Andy those hoods are excellent and the underframe and brake gear detail is light years ahead of what was being produced in N just a few years ago. Unfortunately your front 3/4 views really accentuate how awful that coupling is. I think perhaps that the fact the prototype is such a stumpy little thing makes it worse.

I am toying with the idea of a little china clay layout so will be getting a few of these - I think better wheels and, particularly couplings will transform what is already a very good model.

Jerry 

• 1 month later...

Archived